Should I invest in Lego Duplo sets???

daveblok

Question: I have the change to by a large old toyshop stock. Around 120 sets of Duplo from the period 2005 till 2009 for 75% of the original retail price. Trains, castle, pirates, animals / zoo sets etc. I'm talking about an investment from around 3000 to 4000 euro's Every box is still sealed, with some light shelf wear. I couldn't found only a few sets here on BrickPicker. Are there also a lot of adults who like to collect these Lego's? I have no idea. Please advise...... much appreciated!

as a long term investment i wouldn't touch them, but to buy and quickly flip on ebay it might be worth your while, but only because the discount is so great. see if you can talk him down further since you are buying the whole lot, and then list them on ebay at say, 80% of the normal retail, and you should be able to make a quick profit. it may take some time to sell them all though.

Around 120 sets of Duplo from the period 2005 till 2009 for 75% of the original retail price.

Duplo is a Christmas sale type item, I sold some at Christmas time because I occasionally find good deals and I use a few in my work with kids. I wouldn't think of them as a long term investment to resell.

I bought the Duplo Train set and Cinderella Castle for about 40% off and resold them for 150% of MSRP in December.

Honestly I don't think 25% off is a good enough deal, you are not likely to sell them higher than MSRP, and you will have little profit at that price after selling expenses.

Duplo is a Christmas sale type item, I sold some at Christmas time because I occasionally find good deals and I use a few in my work with kids. I wouldn't think of them as a long term investment to resell.

I bought the Duplo Train set and Cinderella Castle for about 40% off and resold them for 150% of MSRP in December.

Honestly I don't think 25% off is a good enough deal, you are not likely to sell them higher than MSRP, and you will have little profit at that price after selling expenses.

i mis-read his original post. i assumed he was getting them at 75% off, not 25%. agreed, 25% is not nearly a big enough discount for this situation.

I honestly cannot see anyone paying much for any kind of DUPLO set. The best case scenario I can think of would be if you had the very first DUPLO sets ever released and a die hard collector wanted them like a museum piece or something.

I'm siding with Talon and terrymc4677 on these being a short term investment to quick flip for profit. Buy at a really great discount, then turn around to try and sell them for around retail or a little more if you can. Selling such an item around Christmas makes the most sense. Big demand from all types at that time of the year.

Yes there are around 8 pirate sets among them, that's the only one I know they have some collector's value. There are 3 ships I believe. I think I make the gamble and try to get more discount and buy the whole lot and start selling on eBay around Christmas. Thank you all for your reply and comments.