Toys R Us LOL high prices thread

nolanfan34

I was in TRU the other day and my kids wanted to buy some LEGO. I told them that it was much cheaper to buy them at Target or Walmart. After we left, Geoffrey the Giraffe jumped me in the parking lot and told me to shut my mouth if I didn't want a beating. Man is he sensitive. :zip:

Funniest think I've read on this forum!

I was in TRU the other day and my kids wanted to buy some LEGO. I told them that it was much cheaper to buy them at Target or Walmart. After we left, Geoffrey the Giraffe jumped me in the parking lot and told me to shut my mouth if I didn't want a beating. Man is he sensitive. :zip:

Geoffrey would have limped back to the store with a broken leg and a missing ear from me.:-)

• Like 1

Hi everyone! I am new here and new to Lego investing. Kind of caught the bug when I found two Avatar sets, 3828 and 3829 brand new with sealed boxes at a thrift store. I paid $7.99 and $9.99 respectively. I sold them very recently on eBay; 3828 went for 199.99 and 3829 went for 249.99!!! With my introduction aside, my advice is, and perhaps it has been mentioned before, before you walk into a brick and mortar retailer know their price matching policy/guarantee. When the whole 9516 fiasco was in the news I decided to pick up a few sets. I walked into my local Target and found only one on the shelf and it was priced at $118.99. I showed the clerk, on my phone, their own online price of 87.99; they willingly honored their online price. Interesting to note is that Walmart won

Hi everyone!

I am new here and new to Lego investing. Kind of caught the bug when I found two Avatar sets, 3828 and 3829 brand new with sealed boxes at a thrift store. I paid $7.99 and $9.99 respectively. I sold them very recently on eBay; 3828 went for 199.99 and 3829 went for 249.99!!!

With my introduction aside, my advice is, and perhaps it has been mentioned before, before you walk into a brick and mortar retailer know their price matching policy/guarantee.

When the whole 9516 fiasco was in the news I decided to pick up a few sets. I walked into my local Target and found only one on the shelf and it was priced at $118.99. I showed the clerk, on my phone, their own online price of 87.99; they willingly honored their online price. Interesting to note is that Walmart won

Yes, it was insane... after ebay fees and such it was a 2200% ROI. But.... this was a very lucky find! How often does one walk into a thrift store and find sealed Lego sets?

:-)

Actually, I have found some sealed LEGO sets at thrift stores, but they are usually very close to the price that I could get elsewhere. Stores like the Salvation Army often get the stock that the other big retailers like Walmart cannot sell for whatever reason. 2200% ROI is crazy good!!

Actually, I have found some sealed LEGO sets at thrift stores, but they are usually very close to the price that I could get elsewhere. Stores like the Salvation Army often get the stock that the other big retailers like Walmart cannot sell for whatever reason. 2200% ROI is crazy good!!

Yes, you are 100% correct!

In all honesty I am a thrift/yardsale/flea market picker and re-seller. So, perhaps I should have asked.... How often does one walk into a thrift store, find sealed retired sets from 2006, at an insanely reasonable price? :-)

Yeah I've found quite a few sealed sets at thrift stores. However very rarely for good prices

Yes... agreed!! :)

In my travels as a thrift store picker... I have discovered one thing to be true... especially at GWs... it all depends on the person behind the price gun that day and their level of knowledge about what is valuable and what is not! Occasionally I will find an item or items that I can flip for a really really good profit but more often I come across outrageously high prices on junk.

• 3 weeks later...

What a joke!   Took my family to conway nh for a vacation.  Ran into some rain, so decided to grab a lego for our son, and scout for deals. Walmart had a ton of batman and  ninjago on "clearance"  red stickered for retail.  Disappointed----we left and saw a toysrus outlet at an outlet mall.  Got a little excited as we entered because  we saw clearance items all over the place and saw Legos.  Saw Harry potter and Dino hq  sets and started getting erect, and short of breath as my heart was pounding.   Saw a ton of monster fighters on clearance and checked my shorts to make sure  I had my credit card and looked around to see if they had carriages.

Then we started to see the prices......huh?   Ghost train for 94?  Scientist and monster for 59?   Harry potter purple bus for 55?  Wtf?  Dino hq for 130?  I asked the register dude if those clearance prices were correct as they were higher than retail----he said they were priced as marked. I told him that was ridiculous and I was glad toysrus is going out of business.   Childish I know....but going full on to shriveled really got my goat.  Gathered up family and went to walmart and was happy to pay retail for a golden dragon.   Hopefully we'll have  better hunting later this week in a poorer section of nh 

I always thought that the price increases associated with BOGO 50% off sales (like this week's sale) was performed by some computer algorithm.

But the only explanation for this pricing is that somebody is performing this manually (and has fat fingers): $96.99 for LEGO Friends Stephanie's Soccer Practice (41011). I know this is popular, but not that popular (RRP = $9.99).

I always thought that the price increases associated with BOGO 50% off sales (like this week's sale) was performed by some computer algorithm.

But the only explanation for this pricing is that somebody is performing this manually (and has fat fingers): $96.99 for LEGO Friends Stephanie's Soccer Practice (41011). I know this is popular, but not that popular (RRP = $9.99).

gallery_2081_28_16893.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H91rPIq2mN4