What about old Castle stuff?

Alcarin

So I got the Black Knights Castle (1992 one) for decent money, I also collected alot of Dragon Knights minifigures swords shields. I love the way they look those dragon ovoid shields, nice blue and red bardings etc. Are there any fans left for those old sets to buy them? I mean I am nearly finished building a nice event seeing 60+ dragon knights with Majisto wizard and commanders laying Siege to the Black Knights Castle. Is that theme even alive anymore?

I would imagine there are fans out there that collect old Castle themed sets. Unfortunately there are tons of more modern and detailed Castle sets. I think it really comes down to exactly which sets you have, and how rare/collectible they are.

Well I do not really have alot of old sets.

I have 6086 Black Knights Castle (rather widely considered to be one of the best looking castles ''ever'') and prime of LEGO design (even with raised baseplate)

and Dragon Wagon (transport for old green dragon)

Then I have like 60+ equipped and armed Dragon Knights and commanders displayed in an event of laying siege to that Castle.

I think that the only people now looking at these sets would be older/middle aged people, wanting to play with their childhood again. Unless you want to sell them at a potential loss and just lump them all together as a lot and sell AS IS, I think that they might be the only options. Also what RichB said is correct. Most of the newer Castle themes are easier to find, larger, more variety, etc.

I think that the only people now looking at these sets would be older/middle aged people, wanting to play with their childhood again. Unless you want to sell them at a potential loss and just lump them all together as a lot and sell AS IS, I think that they might be the only options. Also what RichB said is correct. Most of the newer Castle themes are easier to find, larger, more variety, etc.

Yeh you might be right...

Well i love them for display and I like their looks of vintage and quality they posses. I do not have alot, i see Black Knights Castle (1992 - set 6086) easily go above 150$ (some sold at nearly 200$) which is a good 80$ more than i paid for it.

Maybe I would sell them for a decent price sometime. I mean that would be a HUGE batch of LEGO figs to obtain (40+ Dragon knights (35 of which regular generic troops)) a great looking castle (still for this age)

I was more checking what people think and if those sets are still appreciated :)

I came across a local seller who says they have around 80lbs of legos from the last 25 years. Mostly castle and old space and city. Of course all the sets are mixed into 3 big tubs. I was contemplating making an offer but was also questioning the popularity of the older castle themes. I like the theme but the newer castle stuff seems to be much better (for obvious reasons). More creative and definitely better minifgs. The older sets have probably peaked but I still think they hold their value. I noticed a couple of my castle sets have gone up some. My original Black Knights fortress and Camouflaged Outpost had slight increase in value. The newer sets such as my King's Castle Siege and King's Carriage Ambush went up some too. So I guess there is room for improvement. In a big purchase like this, I would imagine it would take along time to organize. The guy doesn't even have manuals.

Well I do not really have alot of old sets.

I have 6086 Black Knights Castle (rather widely considered to be one of the best looking castles ''ever'') and prime of LEGO design (even with raised baseplate)

and Dragon Wagon (transport for old green dragon)

Then I have like 60+ equipped and armed Dragon Knights and commanders displayed in an event of laying siege to that Castle.

you seem to dislike the raised base plates, just want to let you know that i sold a raised plate on ebay for 25$ that was in bad condition(good condition it would be 40$). also the whole set i got it from was 50$. so old raised base plates are nothing to sneeze at.

Sounds like he doesn't know anything about the Legos that he has. Probably can get it for around $400 for all of it. Chances are that they are worth at least double that.

You hit a gold mine, my friend.

:)

With no manuals he would be looking at a lot of work for $400 to double up. I have broken down my fair share of lots and made a good amount of money doing it, but you have to really like doing it. I enjoy going through big bins of Lego and finding what sets are in there, especially if the seller had no idea what they had and it was kept in nice shape. Not having manuals gets expensive fast if you are going to try to sell sets as complete. It is also a pain in the ass to figure out which sets you have, then inventory them to see what pieces are missing, waiting for Bricklink orders to come in for missing pieces, build, sell on ebay/bricklink, make sure you have the correct boxes, pay fees. Old Castle and Pirates stuff can bring in a nice profit though if you have the right sets.

With no manuals he would be looking at a lot of work for $400 to double up. I have broken down my fair share of lots and made a good amount of money doing it, but you have to really like doing it. I enjoy going through big bins of Lego and finding what sets are in there, especially if the seller had no idea what they had and it was kept in nice shape. Not having manuals gets expensive fast if you are going to try to sell sets as complete. It is also a pain in the ass to figure out which sets you have, then inventory them to see what pieces are missing, waiting for Bricklink orders to come in for missing pieces, build, sell on ebay/bricklink, make sure you have the correct boxes, pay fees. Old Castle and Pirates stuff can bring in a nice profit though if you have the right sets.

This is exactly why I am hesitant. Oh, and the fact that he said he doesn't have a digital camera to take pictures is a little shady. I guess I can go take a look. I just can't imagine how long it would take to separate and inventory the sets. It indeed sounds like he has no clue what he has. He basically said do a lego search for 80s set in the castle/knight/space/city sets. He did mention he had some blacktron sets and ice space sets.

(Sorry for the thread jack but I figured this still had some castle theme information on what current market for them would be.)

you seem to dislike the raised base plates, just want to let you know that i sold a raised plate on ebay for 25$ that was in bad condition(good condition it would be 40$). also the whole set i got it from was 50$. so old raised base plates are nothing to sneeze at.

Well i personally do NOT dislike the raised baseplate, but i read alot about it and many AFOLs said its not the best idea ever :P

(Sorry for the thread jack but I figured this still had some castle theme information on what current market for them would be.)

No problem for that, I want a discussion about old vs new castle sets... now I KNOW i will not sell Black Knights Castle (unless I get atleast DOUBLE of what i paid) but other minor sets I might very well sell while they net me profit.

It just seems market for those 90s sets is growing thin, I seen alot of activity on wanting 90s sets around 2004-2006 but then in 2007 it started hitting little views. Stuff still goes on Ebay but USA ebay pricing would net me a loss cos I am EU and EU Ebay has ridiculous pricing for auctions etc.

You can make good money breaking down lots into sets and selling separately. This is what I mainly do, and of course profits are reinvested in investment sets. If you do not have the instructions, you can download them from Worldbricks.com But I do not think buying old sets and waiting for them to appreciate will give a decent return. But some go for good money like; 6980, 6971, 6285, 6277, 6970, 6080. These are from the 80s. Sometimes they do not have to be 100% complete. I sold 10029 lunar lander for

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, Just a newbie to the site saying hi. I have started collecting classic castle sets as part of a relived childhood (had #6080 as a kid:) Not really an appreciating asset as these are so old now but still very cool to display. Close to obtaining the entire 1984-1987 Crusaders/ Falcon knight catalog! Just a few smaller sets to go:) So basically I'm one of the guys keeping the value up on these old sets. Also bought a few newer castle sets, resisting the urge to break the seals and build um...... That is my investment side. (or the boy gets a very cool 18th birthday present in 16 years!:)

• Like 1

Hello all,

Just a newbie to the site saying hi.

I have started collecting classic castle sets as part of a relived childhood (had #6080 as a kid:)

Not really an appreciating asset as these are so old now but still very cool to display.

Close to obtaining the entire 1984-1987 Crusaders/ Falcon knight catalog!

Just a few smaller sets to go:)

So basically I'm one of the guys keeping the value up on these old sets.

Also bought a few newer castle sets, resisting the urge to break the seals and build um......

That is my investment side. (or the boy gets a very cool 18th birthday present in 16 years!:)

Hi, nice to hear that, but see I liked the Black Knights + Dragon Knights much much more... I liked Falcons but Crusaders were meh for my tastes, got tired of Richard III all over again long ago.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm primarily into castle and have been scouting eBay for a few weeks now getting an idea for popularity and design, trying to decide which sets I'd like to buy. It wouldn't be for investing, but more so for building, and there are quite a few different castles that have been made over the years, so I'm trying to go with the ones that have the most appealing design to me, without spending a boatload of cash. I'd like to get 2 castles for opposing armies, and a couple vehicles and smaller props to create my own medieval war scene. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm primarily into castle and have been scouting eBay for a few weeks now getting an idea for popularity and design, trying to decide which sets I'd like to buy. It wouldn't be for investing, but more so for building, and there are quite a few different castles that have been made over the years, so I'm trying to go with the ones that have the most appealing design to me, without spending a boatload of cash.

I'd like to get 2 castles for opposing armies, and a couple vehicles and smaller props to create my own medieval war scene. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Well IMO

http://tothotornot.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/6086-1.jpg

should be your number 1 priority if you are looking for 90s castle stuff of good looks... to me this Castle holds spot of number 1 of best looking castle sets, and IMO, no set ever triumphed over this set until Kingdoms released Castle back in what was? 3 years ago? or was it 4...

To me favorite old castle line is

Black Knights vs Dragon Knights ... It is just sad that Dragon Fort looks so disappointing, so I do not have it but have Dark Dragons den instead.

Well IMO

should be your number 1 priority if you are looking for 90s castle stuff of good looks... to me this Castle holds spot of number 1 of best looking castle sets, and IMO, no set ever triumphed over this set until Kingdoms released Castle back in what was? 3 years ago? or was it 4...

Black Knights vs Dragon Knights ... It is just sad that Dragon Fort looks so disappointing, so I do not have it but have Dark Dragons den instead.

I do like that one. I was thinking that or 6090 versus 6091 or 7946 or 10176 maybe. I also wanted to throw in some of the vintage forestmen stuff like 6077 to make a bigger spread. Unfortunately for me, it's all pretty expensive, lol. But at least there are a lot of old cool castles to choose from.

Well IMO

I do like that one. I was thinking that or 6090 versus 6091 or 7946 or 10176 maybe. I also wanted to throw in some of the vintage forestmen stuff like 6077 to make a bigger spread. Unfortunately for me, it's all pretty expensive, lol. But at least there are a lot of old cool castles to choose from.

6090 and 6091 just look lame imo... never really liked those slim towers with blue roofs, looked so unpractical... compared to epic towers of Black Knights Castle.

The only one in your post worth to be called in the same sentence as Black Knights castle would be the Kingdoms castle 7946 everything else is just MEH.

To me 3 most epic castles in design are

1. Black Knights Castle

2. Kingdoms Castle 7946

3. Helm's Deep (if we can call it a ''castle''

Everything else I would easily past, and i am a castle fan...

Ps: Ok sure Black Monarch castle looked great and still does, but there are atleast 3 castles similar or same to that set. all 3 above are unique designs.

Ha ha, well you are alot more versed in them than I am, so I'm glad you are here to give your expertise. In most cases, I'm just going off of ebay photos or scanned instruction manuals, trying to decide what would look best. As a kid I only had 1 castle and a couple accompanying sets. I completely missed the late 90's and early 2000's sets, so I'll trust in your judgment. I really like 7946, so may spring for that one when I find a decent enough price. I don't know how I feel about Helm's deep. The design is cool, but I just feel like I'm a bigger fan of the more traditional, squared layout. Regardless, I do see myself buying that one, and the Vampire Castle eventually. The vampire castle reminds me a whole lot of the old Castlevania games on the NES, so it's great nostalgia.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I think (not 100% sure) that the rock raiders were the last ones with such flap up boxes, so around year 2000

The flap up boxes also developed through time, so these last ones were very colorfull, with random non-squared "windows".

I like the early ones (1984-1992(7)) with a simple squared peek-in areas (I guess they existed also prior to 1984, but I'm only referring to castle).

• Like 1