'Classic' Space - general discussion

legotrader

I love the idea that Lego could remake some of the classic space sets. The one thing I am worried about is if they do make some more space sets, will the sets from the 70's and 80's decrease in value? If they do decrease, how much? I would expect some sort of drop in value, but I hope it is not a huge drop.

The value of intact sets from the 70s and 80s should be not affected at all. Having clean pieces, with original instructions and boxes is still fairly hard to come by. Sealed sets from that error are so rare that those will continue to rise in value. A modern renaissance of Classic space should only make the old sets increase in value I would hope.

And it depends on whether they make the 'same' sets or a whole new range based on the look of classic space.

It's highly unlikely that LEGO would come out with exact facsimile sets.  Unless something has changed the LEGO Legends line has always been considered a major flop.  More importantly though the molds for the specialty parts have long been retired, so I don't think there is much to worry about.

Doubtful, there is no past history LEGO would re-release a set so long after the fact. And yeah some of the those part molds might be gone. The TV antenna part so prevalent back then comes to mind, weird LEGO used it in virtually every space themed building:

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=P5LEXtqyWux6kM&tbnid=N7lx6hwD50u8GM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fronsrescuedtreasures.com%2FLego-3144-Gray-Antenna-Aerial-with-4-Side-Spokes-926-493-6970-6384-497-6391-928-588-381-P2510962.aspx&ei=MVTlUp_vOciRrAH0u4D4Dg&bvm=bv.59930103,d.aWM&psig=AFQjCNFzoqrjqiuynLHf8zROLVzjZ5Pscw&ust=1390847406871150

Doubtful, there is no past history LEGO would re-release a set so long after the fact. And yeah some of the those part molds might be gone. The TV antenna part so prevalent back then comes to mind, weird LEGO used it in virtually every space themed building:

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=P5LEXtqyWux6kM&tbnid=N7lx6hwD50u8GM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fronsrescuedtreasures.com%2FLego-3144-Gray-Antenna-Aerial-with-4-Side-Spokes-926-493-6970-6384-497-6391-928-588-381-P2510962.aspx&ei=MVTlUp_vOciRrAH0u4D4Dg&bvm=bv.59930103,d.aWM&psig=AFQjCNFzoqrjqiuynLHf8zROLVzjZ5Pscw&ust=1390847406871150

I know that piece. That is the darn piece that I am missing from every single classic space set that I own.

I pulled open my classic space drawer, must have over 100 classic  space mini-figures, I was buying them up on e-bay 5 years ago, have several Explorers, Mono rail, lots of space ships Love Them, some of the first ones we bought our daughter...she's 40 now, they were great to play with. I wont sell them, that and the Westerns sets.

the red antenna was the prototype.

Red parts like these are usually molding tests that came from the LEGO factories.  Parts in strange colors can also originate from the model shops in Legoland parks.  Actual prototype parts are many magnitudes rarer as most were destroyed and are now buried in the local Billund dump.  Anyone on board with me for some modern archaeology? :shifty:

Red parts like these are usually molding tests that came from the LEGO factories.  Parts in strange colors can also originate from the model shops in Legoland parks.  Actual prototype parts are many magnitudes rarer as most were destroyed and are now buried in the local Billund dump.  Anyone on board with me for some modern archaeology? :shifty:

Haha, I thought that before I read that last sentence.

Where's Tony Robinson when you need him? [this may confuse non uk posters :P ]

• 1 month later...

I'm pretty excited about Benny's LL929 coming out, but not sure that it will help bring back Classic Space.  Not saying it wouldn't be nice, but it seems like Lego is sticking with the Galaxy Squad and other themes to satisfy out space set hunger.  I suppose with any Lego Movie sequel there will be the possibility of another Benny creation, so that is cool.

I'm pretty excited about Benny's LL929 coming out, but not sure that it will help bring back Classic Space.  Not saying it wouldn't be nice, but it seems like Lego is sticking with the Galaxy Squad and other themes to satisfy out space set hunger.

Lego seems to be content with making friendly nods towards Classic Space such as a few of the Collectable Minifigures characters and some of the City people clothing bearing the familiar icons, but I don't think the theme nor style will ever make a complete comeback. I'm actually content with the little reminders in newer sets as it makes me think upon some parts of childhood without trying to replace those memories.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...