9450 - Epic Dragon Battle

stackables

I have invested in one Ninjago set at 50% discount. 

The Core European market is vastly different from the US market (anecdotal evidence). We aren't in the superheroes stuff that much. Friends has been extremely popular. 

Even though I value Emazers feedback massively (if only I could get into a group with him ;)), I do not copy past it for the European market I'm positioned on. 

Ninjago and Chima are tricky.

1. You cannot expect these sets to appreciate long-term as the interest from collectors isn't there and kids will play more games, do less toys long-term. 

2. They are heavily promoted through films for kids. Once the fuzz drops, nobody will want them anymore. 

3. A lot of competition in that area

4. not of lot of bricks can be used for MOCS

5. the sets have been sitting on the shelves for ages in the shops I visit (even after discuonts)

6. after EoL, the old sets haven't sold well in Europe. The volume checks I make online show little volume

7. Chima is the same concept - doing well in some regions, just almost a complete "miss" in Europe. (even though the temple looks like showing MOC potential)

8. Turtles also looks +/- the same to me

My conclusion: risky business to get in massively. 

• Like 3

I am actually curious what emazers thinks about these 2 sets now as suppose to when he wrote the first post of this thread

I think a lot of us are curious.

All these temple of lights are taking up valuable space.

My personal thoughts are the delays between seasons of the show killed the market to some extent and being an unlicensed theme lego can keep around these sets as long as they like. Combine that with constantly coming out with new sets for the show and killing off the old ones demand isn't there for ninjago, even though the show is good and a lot of the sets are very good.

I'm waiting before I step into the Lego Movie theme. There could be some meaningful discounts ahead. In the stores I visit, they haven't been selling well and even discounts of 20% don't clear the shelves. I also need to do the research in terms of rare pieces, demand and supply etc. 

This said, note that there will be a follow-up and that TLM is in fact targeting AFOLS and kids. So the scope for demand long-term could be different. 

They also have that "creator" aspect that remains interesting - parents like that aspect as many kids only built sets once and don't want to break it up. Having a second plan is a nice entry point for shifting those "break-up difficult" kids over the edge. 

http://blog.brickpicker.com/lego-movie-brickbuster-just-bust/

also sums the cons up nicely. 

regards, J

I am actually curious what emazers thinks about these 2 sets now as suppose to when he wrote the first post of this thread

I asked him the same question a while back and he sent me a reply in PM. I have encouraged him to post those thoughts broadly, since he advocated for those sets, but doubt he will do so. It's his call. 

• 2 weeks later...

Remaining 9450 sets on amazon (no resellers)

amazon.com: 2

amazon.fr: 5

amazon.de: 10

amazon.it: 2

amazon.co.uk: 0

amazon.es: 999+ :geek:

10 days later:

amazon.com: 2

amazon.fr: 5

amazon.de: 79

amazon.it: 2

amazon.co.uk: 0

amazon.es: 999+

Some more sets on amazon.de (spain => germany ?)

It seems like amazon didn't sell a single set in the last 10 days. A little disturbing because it concerns about 600 millions people... no ?

The amazon.com '2' is a purchase limit not their entire inventory for the set. Also- don't forget about the thousands of EDB sets in TRU shelves and distribution centers.

I think you can select 2 because there are only 2 left.

I mean, if you chose 999 items, you have the message:

This seller has only 2 of these available. To see if more are available from another seller, go to the product detail page

When you have reach the limit quantity of an item, it displays something like "You can not purchase that item, your limit has been reached bla bla bla" (I don't remind the text exactly). Not "This seller has only 2 of these available..."

About 9450 on TRU shelves, it makes me even more fear that this set doesn't sell well anymore (that was my point: the -maybe- bad selling, not the EOL)

I hope I'm wrong.

• 2 months later...

up

According to brickset, the 9450 is retired since january 2014 in the UK, but it has been available for about 7 months on amazon and other retailers in europe (still available in germany though, but that's it).

It'll be interesting to see how it evolves on the next 2 or 3 months and see if it's worth reselling these on Xmas 2014 or to wait up to Xmas 2015 (because of the ninjago movie).

Some of the 2011 and 2012 Ninjago sets seem to be on a rise valuewise. Although they are not fast sellers I see potential in them. It is a niche market I believe. The 2507 Fire Temple I saw in a shop for 110 euro is still in the back of my mind. Will look how it progresses and maybe pull the trigger accordingly.

At least these sets are not hoarded I believe. The most out there on the secondary market are already opened by kids.

Some of the 2011 and 2012 Ninjago sets seem to be on a rise valuewise. Although they are not fast sellers I see potential in them. It is a niche market I believe. The 2507 Fire Temple I saw in a shop for 110 euro is still in the back of my mind. Will look how it progresses and maybe pull the trigger accordingly.

At least these sets are not hoarded I believe. The most out there on the secondary market are already opened by kids.

You're are still free to buy my 3x 2507 MISB at

• 2 months later...