9450 - Epic Dragon Battle

stackables

This is a pretty good price for this set, pretty close to the lowest I have paid for it. I sold two of these at Christmas time for over $150 each plus shipping. http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Ninjago-9450-Dragon-Battle/dp/B007Q0ON7S?SubscriptionId=AKIAJQSYTIGRBKVM26KQ&&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B007Q0ON7S

As we all know, no one can predict the future! But, we can guess :-) This is a good price for a very popular set, especially if you also use an Amazon Credit Card for an additional 3% off. What you can always do with Lego sets (if you have enough money) is to buy only one. You know you are getting it at a good price and if it goes lower, then you can get a second one at an even better price (or none if the price never gets better) and still feel good about your purchases. Some people just want to hold out to get the absolute lowest price and you may be able to do that occassionally but no one can do it all the time. This set has been out in the Ninjago world long enough it might be nearing EOL in a few months so we might see some bigger discounts but TRU is still selling the 2507 Fire Temple so hard to tell! There are other things you can do than try to guess the future. One way to purchase stocks is called 'dollar cost averaging' you could also use that method for purchasing Lego sets. In the stock market they usually time purchases (like once a month) because it is difficult to know if you are getting a good price. In the Lego market I would: 1. Choose what sets you want to purchase and how many of each set in the next year. Or perhaps you work from a monthly budget instead so you would just use that budget on what you see on sale that month. 2. Buy those sets whenever I see a good price, for example if I see 20% off I might buy one, if I see 30% off I might buy two, If I see 50% off I might buy more than I had originally planned (or I might buy none if it looks like they are not popular), etc. 3. At the end of the year, evaluate how your purchase plan performed. Most likely you got some good sets at good to great prices but may have missed out on some because you never saw them meet your criteria. Are you happy with that? What have you learned? What will you do differently in the coming year?

Ha, yeah, that shipping cost is steep - I had to do a double take when I saw it cost half the price of the set again to ship to the US. Definitely only feasible if you take advantage of the flat rate shipping and buy in bulk.

To be honest, I'm just pleased to see such a great deal in the UK - from what I can tell, it's not often Lego prices over here are cheaper than the US, and I think the lowest US price I've seen mention of recently is someone picking one up for about $80.

Go John Lewis - may you lead the way for other UK retailers!

John Lewis also uses a shipper that charges import duties. I found this out after placing an order in early Jan at this price for 5 which came to $434 including shipping. Fair deal, yes, but import duties were $90. Thankfully I received this notification via email while the sets were still in UK, final despatch pending my payment. So John Lewis is great for UK (and perhaps Europe) but the deal would have to be stellar or the set quite rare to make the trip to USofA worth it.