Friends Animal Collectables

gymant14

I see on LEGO LEGO Shop at Home that the first series of Friends foil packs (41017, 41018, & 41019) are already tagged as retiring soon. From what I remember they were released in December, barely two months ago. Are they not doing well in sales? Or are they just preparing for series 2? Does anyone know? Also, aside from the negative response to the Friends theme popularity amungst investors, does anyone think these will be good to invest in?

I see on LEGO LEGO Shop at Home that the first series of Friends foil packs (41017, 41018, & 41019) are already tagged as retiring soon. From what I remember they were released in December, barely two months ago. Are they not doing well in sales? Or are they just preparing for series 2? Does anyone know?

Also, aside from the negative response to the Friends theme popularity amungst investors, does anyone think these will be good to invest in?

They may just be preparing for series 2. These will probably follow a similar trend to the collectible minifigures. Question is will they have the aftermarket value that some of the collectible minifigures have?

It has nothing to do with sales. It's just the cycle of these collectables. The next series is coming out in a month or so and I suppose LEGO wants to make sure they don't have any leftover stock before then. Well there's that, but mostly it's just to drum up some quick bucks by making people think the sets can & will be gone any second now. It's like those infomercials with the words blaring in your face "ORDER NOW! LIMITED STOCK! DON'T WASTE A MOMENT!!"

Question is will they have the aftermarket value that some of the collectible minifigures have?

I've pondered about that myself. I've had no problem at all finding the FRIENDS collectables. Heck, I saw them before Christmas last year and I still see a bunch of them at my Target and a 'out of my way' Wal-Mart. So at least for me there hasn't been any difficulty finding those; however, I still can't find any F***ING MINIFIGURES!

AAAAARRRRGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm passing unless they are dirt cheap. I don't know if an animal is enough. No minifig is weird to me. I would rather put that money into poly's with minifigs in the Friends line, for a similar price.

Yeah that makes sense, collecting animals rather than minifigures does seem a bit strange, but who knows maybe these little animals could turn out to be collectible. I wonder when series 2 is expected to be released? Series 1 looks to already be retiring soon.

How much are they? What are in the packs?

$4.99 a piece, check out Lego Shop at Home, you'll see pictures and info there. Sorry I'm on my iphone and cutting and pasting a link takes longer than if I were in front of the computer, and I'm a bit lazy LOL

At anything close to MSRP I'd stay away, but if they were about 50% off I think they'd have some worth down the road. Maybe a $10-12 value when set number 2 or 3 is out?

Yeah I could see them getting to the $10-12 range later down the road. I've yet to see them discounted anywhere though.

Question is, why would anyone (including kids) want these at any point once EOL :D

I imagine if they keep cranking these out and they catch on with popularity people will want the first series to have the complete the collection. I imagine adult collectors may want them for the unique animals in the sets. With all this in mind I have chosen not to collect these unless deeply discounted.

I have been really looking at these. WIth the succes of the 2012 friends sets and good articles. I was thinking it could be easy money or not? I can get some for 4.29. I would estimate after EOL them getting to 8.99 pretty quick since they are going for about 6 now. Not sure if it is worth it. Charge 1.69 shipping and after ebay takes their cut looking at a 5 buck profit. Still on the fence though. Is it really worth dabbling in small investments like this?

I imagine if they keep cranking these out and they catch on with popularity people will want the first series to have the complete the collection. I imagine adult collectors may want them for the unique animals in the sets. With all this in mind I have chosen not to collect these unless deeply discounted.

I know the question of investing in Friends or not has come up often. I actually am lukewarm myself, because I like to invest in what I like to build. I will say though that they are very popular, and when I talked to some women at work about this (not trying to be sexist, but they are more the target market), they all said, "buy them, think Barbie." Thinking about that makes me more inclined to pick up some sets, especially larger or unique sets and polybags.

The same time that Series 10 of the Minifigures is coming out, first of May.

I've been trying to stay up to date with every set this year for the "Sets of 2013" thread.

Thanks! Yeah you do a great job keeping up with that thread man! I'm not sure how you do it, it's a lot of work, especially with Lego releasing what seems to be a greater number of sets each year.

The same time that Series 10 of the Minifigures is coming out, first of May.

I've been trying to stay up to date with every set this year for the "Sets of 2013" thread.

Thanks! Yeah you do a great job keeping up with that thread man! I'm not sure how you do it, it's a lot of work, especially with Lego releasing what seems to be a greater number of sets each year.You're welcome and thank you. Now that the list has become SO LONG it is a little tedious and tricky to update even a small part of it, but the list helps me as well everyone else so I won't complain too much. At the least when a set & it's price has been completely confirmed then that is another one I can scratch off the list of things to check keeping updates for. Things have slowed down to a crawl since almost everything has been confirmed, of which I am so grateful for!

• 4 weeks later...

I got all three packs, and the Easter bunny gave one of them (the squirrel) to my 7-year-old daughter with all the pieces and instructions inside of a large plastic egg. She immediately assembled it. It was very cute. The green sides of the sqirrel's house open and close. She immediately said she wanted the other two. The instruction booklet indicated that you can go online and get instructions for building the squirrel thing differently and also there's instruction for building a bigger display when you have all three sets. The squirrel's house now resides on the lawn of the Creator Hillside House. The cat will probably live in a Creator house too. I imagine the turtle will reside by the Friends pool or perhaps the Creator log cabin or our lighthouse. As we have the vet set, I'm sure they will be making a visit every now and then. I'll probably give the other packs as rewards for doing homework or something... I haven't bought any for pure collecting...but someone was asking why anyone would buy them even for playing with. Hopefully this helps answer...

I got all three packs, and the Easter bunny gave one of them (the squirrel) to my 7-year-old daughter with all the pieces and instructions inside of a large plastic egg. She immediately assembled it. It was very cute. The green sides of the sqirrel's house open and close. She immediately said she wanted the other two. The instruction booklet indicated that you can go online and get instructions for building the squirrel thing differently and also there's instruction for building a bigger display when you have all three sets. The squirrel's house now resides on the lawn of the Creator Hillside House. The cat will probably live in a Creator house too. I imagine the turtle will reside by the Friends pool or perhaps the Creator log cabin or our lighthouse. As we have the vet set, I'm sure they will be making a visit every now and then. I'll probably give the other packs as rewards for doing homework or something... I haven't bought any for pure collecting...but someone was asking why anyone would buy them even for playing with. Hopefully this helps answer...

Glad to hear someone's having fun. Oh and seeing how that was your first post let me say, welcome to the site.

I know I'm going to get the cat for myself. I had one just like her. Sweetest thing.