Friends Animal Collectables

gymant14

When is the release date for these? Anyone know?

I should have added that info to the main post which, thanks to your reminder, I just did.

Series 2 is due in May and Series 3 is due by September. They share the same release dates as the Minifigures line.

how popular are mini-figs sold like that. I have about 9 of each of series one but am unsure if I should continue to invest in these. How do the other Lego mini figures do?

I think these being related to the Friends theme makes them a winner. Shoot, even the small sets have a CAGR of around 15%-20% above retail on average and some of those I can still purchase at normal retail. These collectibles are also very similiar to polybags in most aspects so there is that to add to the equation.

• 1 month later...

Five Below has all the Friends Series 1 foil packs in stock, along with Harry Potter mini-Hogwarts Express, The Lab and LOTR Uruk-hai w/ Ballista.  I believe they were $3.99 USD.

Got the Friends Series 2 foil packs at TRU along with Barrel Escape to use a $10 off coupon (needed to spend $50).  Got them for just over $4 each.

Series 3 looks like it's in the works per Brickset.com:

41023 - Fawn's Forest

41024 - Parrot's Perch

41025 - Puppy's Playhouse

I recently 'chicken out' on my Friends Pets Series 1 inventory...just wasn't feeling it seeing a big bag of it at the bottom of my closet.  Bought 60 polybags on discount (20 of each pet) and sold 54 of them for $1.30 net profit per bag for a modest but safe return.  Kept 6 bags just incase for some reason it takes off in the future lol.  Still see Series 1 Pets in major retailers but no discounts.  Waiting game I guess for those looking for clearance prices.  It does seem expensive for $5.99 CAN but than usually all Lego is anyways.

With Series 3 in the works...could become trendy to collect all the Pets from Series 1 and 2. 

Hi there, the Series 1 foil packs (squirrel, cat, turtle) were what got me back into Lego a few months ago (as an adult, I mean -- prior to that I was playing with Legos as a child in the 80s). Each one took me about 5 minutes to build, and I was immediately hooked on Lego Friends and started buying the larger boxed sets. As mentioned by another poster, Lego provides instructions on their website on how to construct alternate versions of each animal's habitat, as well as a combined super-habitat that incorporates *all three* Series 1 sets -- you know, so that the squirrel, cat, and turtle can live together in harmony (I'm downloading these instructions in case they disappear from the site in the future!). Series 2 (poodle, hedgehog, bunny) just came out recently, and from the Lego Store website it looks like Series 1 will be retiring soon. From the Brickset website, it looks like a Series 3 (fawn, parrot, puppy) will come out this year as well. I'm definitely collecting all of them, but that's me--a rabid fan of anything Lego Friends.

To answer the questions above as to why these animal foil packs do not include minifigures, here's my insight: a big part of the Lego Friends collection is animals, specifically the caring for animals. I'm hoping they'll move on to other interest areas in the future (Hobbies! What about other hobbies?? Other stores to add to village??). Horses are big (Riding Camp, Emma's trailer, Olivia's Newborn Foal, Heartlake Stables). As well as dogs (Heartlake Dog Show, Pet Grooming Salon, Mia's Puppy House, Heartlake Vet). And undomesticated critters as well (The hedgehog shows up in more than one set and seems to have its own fan base, and I think I have at least 3 different rabbits by now). Oh and cats. There are sooo many cats. 

These foil packs seem to enhance the existing boxed sets -- they add to the environment, the story line, the play value. The Series 1 kitty tower and scratching post would go great in Olivia's House. The poodle could visit the Pet Grooming Salon or compete in the Dog Show. And of course the bunnies could have their own enclave by now. Because they enhance larger sets, it would seem redundant to have a minifigure go with each one. As it is, I feel like there are too many variations of each of the 5 characters already. Does there need to be a version of Olivia for her house as well as her treehouse?

Anyway, hope this helps!

• Like 1

Some more thoughts as I was reading the rest of these posts:

So far the "super-habitats" are unique to each Series (i.e, Series 1 has its own "super-habitat", and Series 2 has its own). I'm thinking instructions for a "super-super-habitat" (for all the Series that Lego plans to issue) is unlikely, given that they are retiring a series when a new one comes out. Though that would certainly benefit anyone stockpiling older Series, right? Since you'd need all the retired ones to build it.

Given the existence of "super-habitats", it would probably make sense to bundle together all three foil packs in a retired Series to sell (perhaps with the downloaded instructions for the "super-habitat"?)

If Lego ever comes out with a Lego Friends themed birthday party for girls (paper plates, napkins, streamers, goodie bags in that pink/purple/beige color theme), those foil packs would make GREAT party favors or party activities. Moms would be scouring eBay or Etsy looking to buy them in bulk. Much cheaper than hunting them down in different stores at full price, if say you have 10-20 kids attending the party. Just saying :)

I bought Series 2 at Kmart, because they were the first one in my area to carry them. I've since seen them at Walgreens too. 

Oh, and yes, the Death Star is TOTALLY a doll house. Though a very very expensive doll house. I've never seen a Barbie dream house cost $399.

wholovesboo, that's a lot of food for thought, and I would like to see more stores, hobbies, and other such options added down the road as well. I personally like the Cafe and am looking forward to the Bakery that will come out later this year. Also want to get the City Pool eventually.

@TheOrcKing Yes, I'm looking forward to the City Bakery too! As well as the Lego Friends Heartlake High (the high school).

In some ways the Friends sets remind me of the Fisher Price Sweet Streets line that was produced in the early 2000s. Each of those sets was a house or a store of some kind that came with 1 or more figures and related accessories. The accessories were fun and relevant and invited imagination. As a collector, I totally missed the boat on that one, so I started buying them up on eBay. Most were out of the box, but I didn't care as long as all the original figures and accessories were included. Also, the Sweet Streets line came with a play mat that had the town layout printed on it, including labeled spots for each of the stores. So of course you have to buy all the sets to fill in all those spots!

There's a generic Heartlake City play mat for sale on LEGO Shop at Home, but not really worth it in my opinion, since you can basically download the same thing for free on the Lego Friends site. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

While at local Target buying Orc Forges...I noticed a full rack of Series 1 Pets on sale, normally $5.99, than $4.77 and now $2.99 which is not bad.  Heck of a lot cheaper than the first bundle I paid for.  I didn't buy any but would have bought the whole rack if it was $2 each.  Maybe I should of talked to the manager haha.    

Wonder why Target/stores just don't leave the Series 1 Pets out with the Series 2?  Guess it's a matter of space.  

^I noticed some Series 2 Pets also had clearance/reduced stickers...would be worth it to bring over to scanner.  These small polybags would be good to profit $2 per bag maybe...small margin but if you sell enough it would be worth it.  To each their own, especially with a smaller investing budget.  

Guest eightbrick

^I noticed some Series 2 Pets also had clearance/reduced stickers...would be worth it to bring over to scanner.  These small polybags would be good to profit $2 per bag maybe...small margin but if you sell enough it would be worth it.  To each their own, especially with a smaller investing budget.  

Yep, thanks. I really like the look of the series for investments (wrote some pretty praiseful reviews of them), and you are absolutely right, they are great for smaller budget investors like me. I'm thinking they will be one of the better low capital investments along with the Mini Tow Truck (mini unimog) and maybe the planet sets.

yes, with the SW planet sets...common to see them for $8 at Walmart (CAN) and if you wait long enough you can make $2-$5 each depending how you sell (kjijij/craigslist/amazon/ebay).  Again not big money but % wise it could still be 25% or more profit...everything adds up and could help build up capital steadily.  Also doesn't hurt to ask the manager if you take all the sets available will they give you an extra 10%-20% off clearance price...worse they say is no.  

The one negative I have about this planet sets is they are awkward shaped and not easy for storing or shipping.   

• 2 months later...

Series 3 (September)

Fawn's Forest (41023)

Parrot's Perch (41024)

Puppy's Playhouse (41025)

Wave 3 foil packs are out! I spotted them today at Legoland Discovery Center Westchester, and grabbed one of each (for myself :) ) and one for my daughter (she was only interested in the deer one). 10% off with my annual pass. Haven't had a chance to open them yet. The parrot one looks pretty cool. Has anyone spotted these elsewhere?