2260 - Ice Dragon Attack

stephen_rockefeller

So looking at this set it seems to be a white version of the new golden dragon set. I think that the ice dragon is a super cool looking set but since it is retired the price is pretty high. My question is this, would anyone here pay secondary market prices for this set? I am thinking about buying one but just not sure. I think I can get my hands on one for around 80 bucks.

Is this for your personal collection or for an investment? If its for a personal collection you can get one for under 70 on bricklink if you're not picky about box quality, and I'd say pull the trigger as I doubt this set goes down in price any time soon. If you're talking about as an investment, well, my personal feeling is you'd be better off buying two or three of the current golden dragon sets than chasing a higher price on the ice dragon. Remember, it was originally only a 20 dollar set. There has to be a fundamental limit to how high people are willing to go on this (though it does look like they're routinely going over $100 now on ebay).

My situation is kinda different. I have a pretty big collection but I don't build or sell really.......think of me as an Ed with the difference being Ed builds as well as hoards lol. So if I bought one it would more than likely just sit there and not be put together. I did build a palace cinema a few weeks ago though. *EDIT I don't have anywhere near the number of sets Ed does.

In that case you could probably buy one on bricklink in a mint box for around 75-80. If you ever do decide to sell you can flip it on ebay for a small profit at that price right now, and probably more in the future. Note that I don't advocate doing this on a larger scale as I think one could do much better putting money into the 2 currently available dragon sets then chasing profits on the retired ones. If you don't have this set though and you're a collector barring a miracle deal you won't find this cheaper anywhere else, and imho you risk more waiting for a slide in price than you do buying one now on the chance the price drops a little later. Best case scenario is the price stabilizes in the 120's and bricklink catches up to ebay. Here's a scenario. Would you be kicking yourself more this time next year if the sets $50 and you bought for $75, or if you waited and its over $150? I know which camp I'd be in.

Look at it this way, many hobbies people spend vast sums of money and once its gone, its gone. You're buying a collectible which will theoretically appreciate, and at the very least should retain a large percentage of its value. If it makes you feel any better I spent over $100 in ammo last week at the range, and that money's not coming back :O

Yeah I think I might get one.......I just feel like an idiot paying that much for such a small set. I think this set might have a little more financial growth in it especially when the theme is gone completely.

Just to confirm, Ninjago will be around at least through 2014, so this is a "longer" term play.

Oh I thought that it was gonna be gone after this year. I have heard that from a few sources and plus the 2013 sets say final battle on the box.

Here's the link to the LMB post confirming Ninjago running through 2014.

https://community.lego.com/t5/NINJAGO/Important-Ninjago-Announcement/m-p/4461464#U4461464

Also, I have seen a .gif for the Ninjago expansion in 2014. It's below...

So, I don't think the theme is going away, just the latest "golden ninja" story line.

All that said, I think the dragons are timeless classics, and you can't go wrong with them. People will always want them because outside of the nostalgia, they're really neat sets exclusive to Ninjago.