NINJAGO DISCONTINUED IN 2013?!?!

Ed Mack

Ninjago was obviously a very popular theme and probably was LEGO's most successful non-licensed theme. Even though I wasn't much of a fan, I could see that kids really liked Ninjago and were totally hooked on the theme. I don't know whether Legends of Chima will be able to achieve the same result (from the images of sets I have seen!).

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the big deal for Ninjago was the TV cartoon series that is still very popular. I've had more than one dad tell me his kids begged for Ninjago toys because they loved the cartoon. If Legends of Chima also has a popular cartoon tie-in then it will do well!

I think the big deal for Ninjago was the TV cartoon series that is still very popular. I've had more than one dad tell me his kids begged for Ninjago toys because they loved the cartoon.

If Legends of Chima also has a popular cartoon tie-in then it will do well!

I agree. Cartoon TV shows always make kids/LEGO fans want to buy the sets and models that appear in the themes' TV show. They see these "cool" Ninjago vehicles on the TV show and then want to build them with LEGO (in real life). Legends of Chima will either be a very good, successful theme that has loads of eager fans and a great TV show or it will be crap -it can't really be in between.

Legends of Chima will either be a very good, successful theme that has loads of eager fans and a great TV show or it will be crap -it can't really be in between.

Hmm, I've seen too many toylines with an animated series to go with them (or the other way around) to get canceled.

Either because the toys don't sell well even though the tv series is well received, or the tv series doesn't get enough viewers but the toys fly off the shelves for some reason. It's a wierd catch-22.

Take a look at Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors.

The series had a 65 episode run and, even though the animated series was doing well, because of the lack in sales for the toyline produced by Mattel, it was canceled and the storyline never got resolved unfortunately (dang it).

So there are times when it can end up being stuck somewhere inbetween.

I think LEGO has been honing their storytelling craft ever since the first wave of BIONICLE characters, and if they put anywhere near the same kind of effort they did for BIONICLE towards LEGENDS OF CHIMA, I believe we will have a winner! (If it has a good interesting plot and diverse set of characters, that is. I know it's a cartoon for kids, but I HATE cartoons that feel like they're talking down to its audience. It's insulting!) Regardless, I have a good feeling for LEGENDS OF CHIMA (toys & tv series) and am curious as to how the story will pan out.

Hmm, after mentioning "Wheeled Warriors" I REALLY want to show off these links I found for the most awesome and faithful cover tracks of a cartoon theme I've ever heard! (The animation is also a much higher quality, too!)

"Wheeled Warriors" Cover - VideoMicro

"M.A.S.K." Cover - VideoMicro

And a link to the complete, unedited, extended intro (music & lyrics only).

Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors (Extended version) - Shuki Levy

And the french version in case you're curious. It's really awesome!

(Even though I can only understand every other word.)

Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors (Extended Version) - French with English Subtitles

Okay, so I like 80's cartoons & music. What of it?

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone else looked at the Sold Out selection of Ninjago at US S@H? With The Final Battle in the pipeline, the odds of a replenishment of these 2012 sets seems slim.

There are a couple of items still left, but for how long who knows. Anybody that waited this long to get their hands on any will have to try eBay or Bricklink. (Yeah, goodluck with that.) I'm sure whatever current stock is left will be the last of this year's NINJAGO and much of 2012's sets.

It would help many of the stores sell the old stock to make room for the new if they had some actual clearance sales. I've lost count of how many times that I have found items in the 'clearance' or 'on sale' aisle (or something to that effect) and the item was still at it's original retail price!

Some deal there, jeeze......

• 4 weeks later...

I've never been a big fan of Ninjago, but its sad to see them leave

When NINJAGO is completely done and over with, I'll be a bit bummed out and then move on. I think a little break from them will be a good thing and look forward to what they come up with (storyline and set designs) for 2014.

• 1 month later...

NINJAGO will return in 2014, so this "being discontinued in 2013" is more like a 'temporary leave of absence'.

"The Final Battle" sets available on LEGO Shop-at-Home, and eventually in stores by January, will be the last of NINJAGO until then.

According to this source on the LMB, the Ninjago theme will continue through 2013 and into 2014.

https://community.lego.com/t5/NINJAGO/Important-Ninjago-Announcement/m-p/4461464#M146189

**SPECULATION ALERT** That said, with the original "snake" themed sets being phased out now, I have to believe the "gold ninja" themed sets will at least last through the end of 2013, with a new Ninjago theme coming in 2014.

FWIW, I think the Ninjago theme will be a real winner on the secondary market. There are a number of sets in the theme that are legitimate pieces of art, specifically the temple and dragon sets (I think the Mechs are underrated also), providing an alternate appeal for secondary market buyers outside of nostalgia. In 4-5 years, nostalgia buyers will be strong as well.

Empirically, I have noticed that among my 4 1/2 years old son's peer group almost every one of them has at least one Ninjago set and know the cartoon - including the non-Lego fans (yes, they actually exist!). IMO, the popularity of Ninjago easily dwarf all other themes among 5-10 year olds. There's a reason they're mimicking the cartoon/toy distribution platform for Chima - it has delivered in spades for the Ninjago theme. I believe that all that latent popularity will translate at some point into nostalgia demand/sales in the secondary market, and any further expansion of the theme can only serve to drive demand in the future.

• 3 weeks later...

The fact that Ninjago is continued end 2013/ begin 2014 is because of the massive reactions LEGO received :-) Tons of emails and letters from fans all around the world that they wanted Ninjago to stay and it seems like it worked. My account manager told me a few months ago not to buy to many January 2013 Ninjago set but to focus on Chima, as you know LEGO is going big with Chima but gladly they still listen to their customers and decided to continue the Ninjago series!