79104 - The Shellraiser Street Chase

79104, purchased 2 today at the Shopko BOGO 50% for $44 and change. What does the community think, good investment, or risky bet?! I was thinking it was an ok buy due to the movie on the horizon and 79104 is the biggest set in the TMNT line so far.

This theme has one and done written all over it. Six sets I believe? 620 pieces is the largest set. Looks like a Toy Story theme to me and not even as good as those sets. I don't like being negative on any LEGO theme, but I would be very shocked if this theme was around next year.

I'm standing aside until I see solid evidence that this theme has legs. I only have so much capital I'm willing to invest in Lego, and right now I'm having difficulty getting enough sets from the themes I've identified as strong contenders. I'm also watching Chima very closely to see how the first wave of speedorz perform once they're retired, as I think this theme could go either way. Michael Bay's new movie is probably going to make lots of money, but I'm not sure it will be good for the franchise long term. I also don't know if it will translate into increased interest in Lego sets, especially as its almost certainly going to be thematically different to the turtles as we know them. The franchise has also been defunct for so long now I just don't know if it will still connect with kids and adult collectors anymore. Emazers also makes a good point that there's no "cornerstone" giant set to cap this line with right now. I don't really fancy messing about with the sub $60 sets for investment purposes, unless an unbelievable deal pops up. With so many other lines that seem to be clear cut winners I can't justify plunking money down on The Turtles right now. The good news is all these sets will be available all year, so there's plenty of time to gather data and gauge consumer interest. If it looks like they're going to become a big hit there should be plenty of time left to grab tons of sets to hoard for EOL.

This theme has one and done written all over it.

It feels that way to me too. The sets have an overall generic feel about them up there with Toy Story & Cars though these are a bit worse in design. I've bought a couple and plan on buying the others eventually maybe sooner if they get an amazing discount for the characters and parts but not the designs. The main contributer to the possible value of the theme is that TMNT has been around for a number of years. Good or bad, everyone seems to know of the Turtles.

If it wasn't for the Turtles notoriety, the sets would fall flat.

my issue with this theme is with the turtle lair. is it meant to be a joke? it should be at minamal the size of the new batcave.

It is a wierd jumbled mess of a playset, isn't it? I have absolutely no idea what is going on in that one, honestly.

Again, yet another set bought for parts in my opinion.

I've probably been doing this the least amount of everyone else who has given their input, so take what i say with a grain of salt. However, I am on record as disagreeing, apparently with everyone :) I have yet to see any TMNT toys not fly off the shelves and be in high demand. These LEGO sets would be the first. I am not saying it couldn't happen and of course toy story toys are popular too, so I could be totally wrong. Although I do agree the sets could have been much better, why a vehicle is bigger than the Lair is beyond me, I am just given my 2 cents, no one asked for... I guess I am bias b/c i have made a good chunk of change selling other TMNT toys. Time will tell!!!

I am more in the middle, similar to pickleboy. Here's my reasoning: - strong general fan base due to the original comics and not just US based - unique minifigs - the Turtles themselves have unique heads and are quite cool - general interest in TMNT toys as mentioned I do agree that the lack of a larger set is a downside. If they do a second wave, and it includes the huge round footsoldier thing, or the big Krang robot thing,1000+ pieces, that would help the theme in general. So overall I am waffling. Would not buy for MSRP. My son though LOVES THESE, so I have picked up ones to open that have been on sale. If you are mid-early 30s like me and grew up watching the cartoon/playing the impossible NES game, these sets have some appeal...

I have no idea how long it takes LEGO to plan for a line but 11 months ago, I think, it when TMNT the movie was delayed. It was supposed to come out this year, the same time LEGO was releasing their sets. I have no idea how these relationships work but there has been a onslaught of LOC ads and promo...maybe some of this was meant of TMNT? If these sets take years of preplanning to make I bet they were pretty pissed when they found out the movie would not be released until 2014. It would explain the ZERO advertising and promotion of what has historically been one of the strongest character series of the last 20 years. Maybe they are holding off on promoting and coming out with bigger badder sets when the movie actually does come out? IDk...lots of maybe's there...I just can't believe that the LEGO tmnt would flop when every toy tmnt have done in the past has been successful. If and when the movie does come out, these sets will be huge IMO. (haha even if the movie doesn;t come out I think they will....:) Bias much?

I am in agreement with you, pickleboy. I had pretty much said that despite flaws in the overall designs of the sets that they should appreciate well just because they are the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. The characters have been around for quite a while and can always be relevant to newer generations. Sure the set designs are a little unpolished, but the minifigs are cool and I love the selection of parts!

I have yet to see any TMNT toys not fly off the shelves and be in high demand.

I believe this right here gives an idea of how well the sets themselves could do in the aftermarket. It certainly is true. As soon as the action figures for the newest iteration of TMNT came out, they were gone before the next month. No lie.

Thanks for your opinions! I might return these........

Whether the theme or sets appreciate well or don't, I would think that any item bought for half off should leave some leighway when it comes time to sell.

I skimmed the responses so someone may have mentioned this. If the movie comes out after the sets are retired, it might actually do wonders for the value of the sets. If the movie is awful, it might do just the opposite. I see these sets being a high risk/reward. I will watch for them on the clearance rack, and might even pick them up just to have the turtles in my personal collection.

I skimmed the responses so someone may have mentioned this.

If the movie comes out after the sets are retired, it might actually do wonders for the value of the sets. If the movie is awful, it might do just the opposite. I see these sets being a high risk/reward. I will watch for them on the clearance rack, and might even pick them up just to have the turtles in my personal collection.

Michael Bay is directing, so you can bank on it being a commercial success. It will also be awful :0

Its too soon to tell if it will have any impact on the Lego toys popularity, though they'll likely be long gone from retail by the time the movie is in the theaters.

I think some people are forgetting or don't realize that there is a new (2012) TMNT show on Nickelodeon that will help drive awareness and demand with children that aren't even aware of the previous shows or movies. That may make it a winner for TLG but not necessarily for investors. According to wikipedia, the show was picked up for a second second season last October and a third season was ordered on February 26, 2013. So even without the Michael Bay movie, there is something out there to drive demand.

Not to sound negative but in my opinion this theme is disappointing at best. There are no exclusive minifigures and the sets are simply dull and lack the "wow" factor. I was a huge TMNT fan as a kid, but as of right now I'm planning to pass on this theme altogether from both a collecting and investing standpoint, unless something major tales place, like the release of a huge attractive set with a super rare minifig, non of which i see happening. Ahh what a bummer, this theme gets no love from me.

Not to sound negative but in my opinion this theme is disappointing at best. There are no exclusive minifigures and the sets are simply dull and lack the "wow" factor. I was a huge TMNT fan as a kid, but as of right now I'm planning to pass on this theme altogether from both a collecting and investing standpoint, unless something major tales place, like the release of a huge attractive set with a super rare minifig, non of which i see happening. Ahh what a bummer, this theme gets no love from me.

I have to agree.The whole TMNT line feels like a quick cash cow for LEGO. Can't blaim them for doing it since as bad as the sets are, they are flying out of the shelves

my glass is half full on this one. the turtles appeal to all ages, from the kids who are watching the current cartoon now, to the afol's who grew up watching the movies, reading the comics, and playing the video games in the 80's and 90's (i must have dropped at least $1k worth of quarters into the arcade game back in the day). they have a solid fan base like other succesful lines (star wars, lord of the rings, indiana jones, batman, etc), and in my area anyway they always seem to be picked over or sold out while there is an abundance of the other themes on the store shelves. i have a good quantity of this line , and am banking on cashing in on them a few years down the road. personally, i hope they are "one and done", so that the demand for them from the people who waited and didn't buy will begin. also, from an investing standpoint, i would stockpile this theme before chima, any day of the week.

I've probably been doing this the least amount of everyone else who has given their input, so take what i say with a grain of salt. However, I am on record as disagreeing, apparently with everyone :)

I have yet to see any TMNT toys not fly off the shelves and be in high demand. These LEGO sets would be the first. I am not saying it couldn't happen and of course toy story toys are popular too, so I could be totally wrong.

Although I do agree the sets could have been much better, why a vehicle is bigger than the Lair is beyond me,

I am just given my 2 cents, no one asked for...

I guess I am bias b/c i have made a good chunk of change selling other TMNT toys. Time will tell!!!

I am in agreement with you, pickleboy. I had pretty much said that despite flaws in the overall designs of the sets that they should appreciate well just because they are the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. The characters have been around for quite a while and can always be relevant to newer generations. Sure the set designs are a little unpolished, but the minifigs are cool and I love the selection of parts!

I believe this right here gives an idea of how well the sets themselves could do in the aftermarket. It certainly is true. As soon as the action figures for the newest iteration of TMNT came out, they were gone before the next month. No lie.

Whether the theme or sets appreciate well or don't, I would think that any item bought for half off should leave some leighway when it comes time to sell.

Orc and Pickleboy share my exact feelings. I do not think the sets are that great (though the minifigures are), but the theme is huge!

As for the movie do we know that Lego will have the rights to produce them? Or do they only hold a license with Nicks cartoon series?

I see two different lines without one crossing over to the other if we do see two lines.

from an investing standpoint, i would stockpile this theme before chima, any day of the week.

Honestly, I think that's a safe (or safer) bet. Despite my optimism, CHIMA is a theme that is dangerously straddling the fence between being an investment winner or a dropped bombshell. I don't think CHIMA will completely bomb though if it does, but my gut would say that the TMNT (or even NINJAGO) sets are a little safer bet than CHIMA at the moment. In the end, CHIMA could just be a great 'quick flip' investment and nothing more. I'm having difficulty if I look at CHIMA realistically for the theme to be a longterm investment.

Man, I wish LEGO would hurry up and release the CUUSOO Delorean so that I could visit the future and see how this all pans out.

As for the movie do we know that Lego will have the rights to produce them? Or do they only hold a license with Nicks cartoon series?

I believe for the film, if & when it comes out, LEGO will need to get a different license alltogether.

They only have the one with Nickelodeon at the moment.

The whole TMNT line feels like a quick cash cow for LEGO. Can't blaim them for doing it since as bad as the sets are, they are flying out of the shelves

It is a major cash cow for them. One that any one of us would love to get even a little percentage of the earnings for.

This is one of those ideas that you wish you had came up with.