79004 - Barrel Escape

I think this can be said for just about any set after it retires.  If what works for you is to flip quickly and make a few bucks now over more later, that's nothing to feel bad about.  Anything that increases your capital and buying power is a good thing, but in my mind, doing a ton of legwork for $5-10 isn't worth it.  To others, it's a lot of fun and why they love flipping. 

You are right. I had two choices, flip and increase buying power, or hold and wait. In the meantime, I was able to load up more of other sets with the money made. I didn't really want the dead money to sit there. I'll probably have to raise the selling prices of these to make it worth while starting today.

• 2 months later...

So i was parting a few of these out today and I let one of my friends actually build one of them just for the fun of it and I have to say I think it's a pretty neat build.  I like the two ale barrels the best but I think a lot of this build is somewhat ingenius with the stored ale bottles, the little stools, the two different sized kegs and the flat 2x1s accenting the arch all were cool little details to me.  While I didn't dislike it before, I like this set much more after actually seeing it built.

• 3 months later...

I may be mistaking but I can not find it anymore on LGshop France.

It was on sales beginning of last week and now is sold out.

I would be surprised it comes back as it is not a good seller I guess.

In LEGO Shop at Home Spain it is in the Hobbit category but labeled as 'Sold Out'.

I don't see it coming back.

I don't think too much of the fact people have it stocked up as much as they are still find everywhere in tru. It's like Lego purgatory

This.  Barrel Escape, Funhouse, Vampyre Castle....  the zombies of the Lego world that TRU refuses to let die.  At least the VC sold out before Halloween.

• 5 months later...

I'm bearish on RR because I doubt the staying power of The Lego Movie generally (I loved it, but I don't sell to myself).  I think the problem isn't with TRU exclusives per se.  A set staying on toysrus.com forever isn't the cause of poor returns; it's a symptom of weak demand (versus supply).

I still think this set could do well, even heavily horded.  I dont think you can lose with 40% or more off RRP.  first this set has multiple unique minifigures, including 2 exclusive dwarfs, that will be must haves for any serious collector.  as well as unique elves which will be desirable in quantity.  second this set has a bunch of rare and desirable parts, and will be key for many MOCers.  finally its the Hobbit, doesnt matter how poorly the movies are viewed, its still in the top 5 of fantasy novels of all time.  give it a bit of time and these sets will sell.

Overall I would say this is a parters dream set, and should still sell well as full package.

• Like 1

This set is, to me, surprisingly appreciating well. The cheapest on Amazon is $52, and considering 118 people are selling - If you got this on blowout for $20 like many of us did, even at $50 you'd make a little money. To be this set hitting at least 60 seems like a no brainer.

I stumbled across one at a TRU today for $29.98, with Thursday discount and 20% off clearance coupon I felt good about pulling the trigger. I am very pleased at how it is performing. Similarly, they aren't lighting the world on fire yet, but Wargs being $65 and Mirkwood Spiders being around $45 are pleasant surprises. If Wargs hits $75 and Spiders hits $50 I'll be thrilled.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

kkkkkkrck.

June twenty eighth two thousand fifteen...we have crossed into the profit. I repeat, we have crossed into the profit. Let us remember December seventeenth two thousand thirteen, the day when TRU ebay had these on a fire sale, as the day that we were so consumed with asking if we could, that we forgot to ask if we should. Full stop.

kkkkkkrck.

• Like 4

kkkkkkrck.

June twenty eighth two thousand fifteen...we have crossed into the profit. I repeat, we have crossed into the profit. Let us remember December seventeenth two thousand thirteen, the day when TRU ebay had these on a fire sale, as the day that we were so consumed with asking if we could, that we forgot to ask if we should. Full stop.

kkkkkkrck.

So what you're saying is, "There's still a chance!?"

kkkkkkrck.

kkkkkkrck.

Ha! I had forgotten about these in storage since they've been so slow to make it in the black.  Will probably package them with Bag Ends when I do get around to selling them.  Not the worst set in the world, but it was around for soooooooooooooooooooo long at TRU.

Buying these for about $20 a pop at TRU ebay fire sale was a steal, even though it has been slow to move back up. It's selling for about $50 now so that's 150% above what several of us paid for. Unfortunately I may have gotten carried away and still have more than 50 of these...

• Like 2

• 2 months later...