Craigslist war stories

tonysbricks

There is someone who posted a Harry Potter castle, one of the older ones, on CL recently. They have reposted it/updated the listing every day to bump it up. I have probably sent 4 emails, no response. So either they are bad at Craigslist, or it is some sort of scam I can't figure out.

I will say if you are buying something used, there is pretty much no way to verify. I just bought a lot yesterday, and when sorting last night it is clear the sets are probably 97% complete. But at the price, I am not too concerned. If I want a 100% complete set for sure, I will buy on eBay. This particular lot made up for it because the $20 grocery bag of random pieces I also grabbed turned out to have about 8-10 more instructions, and probably 4-5 complete $10-$20 sets, with an extra 10 minifigs or so.

I only meet people in a public place as well (bought other stuff prior to recent Lego purchases). One guy was selling a Jabba's Palace and Rancor Pit for $100 total, NISB. But said I had to come to his house since he was offering such a good price. I passed.

There is someone who posted a Harry Potter castle, one of the older ones, on CL recently. They have reposted it/updated the listing every day to bump it up. I have probably sent 4 emails, no response. So either they are bad at Craigslist, or it is some sort of scam I can't figure out.

I will say if you are buying something used, there is pretty much no way to verify. I just bought a lot yesterday, and when sorting last night it is clear the sets are probably 97% complete. But at the price, I am not too concerned. If I want a 100% complete set for sure, I will buy on eBay. This particular lot made up for it because the $20 grocery bag of random pieces I also grabbed turned out to have about 8-10 more instructions, and probably 4-5 complete $10-$20 sets, with an extra 10 minifigs or so.

I only meet people in a public place as well (bought other stuff prior to recent Lego purchases). One guy was selling a Jabba's Palace and Rancor Pit for $100 total, NISB. But said I had to come to his house since he was offering such a good price. I passed.

Honestly I have met hundreds of people at their houses and not had problems. You just tell someone you are going and you take nothing of value with you except what you are paying with.

I guess this provides a good argument for the existence of a concealed handgun license.

I have had pretty much nothing but good experiences on CL (A few "no responses" of course).

I do prefer meeting in a public place but usually after a couple emails you can get a feel for the person and then I just 'trust my gut' on how to proceed.  If something feels skeevy I punch out.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't bought any used lots of Lego through Craigslist yet so no horror stories, but wow, reading some of these makes me very wary! I've only bought 2 NSIB sets, and it worked out no problem. I think there are too many brickpickers in my area because everytime I see a good Lego listing, it's pretty much gone.

• 2 weeks later...

Arrrgh had a meeting all set up, sent my sis there after work to pick it up at the guy's house and he wasn't even home! I sent him two emails and he said an emergency came up, can i meet later in the week. He wouldn't leave me his number though...and I'm going to see if I can meet at a skytrain, not the outskirts of the city :S

I recently met a guy at his house. We had been corresponding via texts for almost a week, but I was still nervous because I had $1200 in my car. But it was totally cool, the guy was a bigger collector than I am and we talked about toys for an hour. His wife even invited me to stay for dinner but I politely declined because my wife said I couldn't play anymore because it was dark outside.

• Like 5

I had a kjijiji/local ad person low ball me and say 'this is how local ads work'...meaning you HAVE to sell your product to me at much lower price than listing haha.  Than another guy replied 2-3wks after our initial contact and say he's been thinking about my price etc etc...TRU has this 20% sometimes...I'm only saving X with you...can't return my item...see from my perspective etc. It was a whole story.  Maybe he's on this forum too lol.  Com'on dude, it's just a toy/Lego!  Either you buy it at the list price/the discounted price if I offer it OR don't buy it at all.  Seems like a few or many local ad shoppers think we're desperate to unload inventory.  All part of local buying and selling I guess.         

Lol. I ask for his number 4 times though so it is a little odd. And it was way out in the sketchier part of the city, with just farms/back roads. I'd feel more comfortable if he gave me his number, or meet at a more public area. Or if I bring a big strong man with me. Haha.

Just be careful seapotato.  When I hear farms/back roads/sketchy...less people is less safe for sure.  Some of my buyers exchange cell numbers with me and some don't so that's normal.  But even if you got his cell it doesn't mean much with those pay-as-you-go cheap disposable types.  I try to have my buyers meet near me and text me when they are 5-10mins away so I don't waste my time leaving my house with no shows.  As for buying, I've only bought 1 set so not much experience but use same common-sense (as selling).  it's not worth it to chase a deal if you feel unsafe or have to send your poor sister out again as a scout.  JK.   

Personally, I feel more comfortable when a buyer replies with a 'real' email account like from Rogers...a work email, Bell etc. or with their 'real' full name in the id instead of some generic id with hotmail/yahoo.  That's just me.  Don't met anyone with email address [email protected] or [email protected] ;)  Sorry if I offended anyone with this exact email :P     

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Shot a guy an offer for a Star Wars Lego set a couple of months ago.  It was about $100 off what he was asking.  It was listed for several weeks so I low balled him.  He accepted immediately.  *Before the offer I did my due diligence.  I asked many questions about the item (i.e. missing pieces, condition of box, and instructions, etc.)  The box was damaged but he said everything else was good.  

It was about a half hour drive to our meeting point.   He pulled out the damaged box - no surprise there.   Then he pulled out the instructions - mangled.  I didn't make a fuss because the deal was so good.  The set was still put together and looked great.  I hand him the money and take the set to my car.  As I was pulling away he waves me down and said that I didn't give him enough money - I gave him $50.  He said no we said $150.  I was sure I offered $50.  He checked his emails and sure enough it said $50.  He admitted he misread it. He told me he couldn't sell it for that.  After starting at him for about 30 seconds, I just walked away.  

Everyone makes mistakes I guess.  I just hate when it costs me gas money. But he came from 2 hours away so....