Craigslist war stories

tonysbricks

I've bought and sold plenty on CL the last few years.

I always use the anonymous email feature, and then when you reply the person has your email.

I seem to be getting more requests for people to text message them info or more photos, even though there are plenty of photos on the listing.  Seems like they want me to text them so that they have my phone number.  I just don't get why someone would email me and say text me back.

Is there a scam of some sort where people want your email and phone number?  Any victims out there?

Note, I've never texted them back.  I just keep emailing them - and if I recall, that never ends in a sale.

Edited by rpaulson7

6 minutes ago, rpaulson7 said:

I always use the anonymous email feature, and then when you reply the person has your email.

I seem to be getting more requests for people to text message them info or more photos, even though there are plenty of photos on the listing.  Seems like they want me to text them so that they have my phone number.  I just don't get why someone would email me and say text me back.

Is there a scam of some sort where people want your email and phone number?  Any victims out there?

Note, I've never texted them back.  I just keep emailing them - and if I recall, that never ends in a sale.

Many people just find it more convenient to communicate through texting.  The only issue I ever heard of is someone was not happy about the prices someone was selling things for so they made their own listing for cheap prices and provided the other persons contact number.

33 minutes ago, rpaulson7 said:

You've probably seen those adds that say something to the effect that "you too can make $400 a week from working at home"  well sure enough some of them are simply email harvesters looking to add you to their daily list for a few pennies each.

I swear if any more resellers contact me about my CL listings and then try to explain to me why I'm doing things wrong and why I should sell them stuff for nothing, I'm going to agree to the price and I'm going to instruct them to meet at a parking lot at some shopping center out in the boonies. Then about 15 minutes after the meeting time I'll email them and say I got held up and I'll be there in like 20 minutes and then block their email. 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, TigerEyez said:

I swear if any more resellers contact me about my CL listings and then try to explain to me why I'm doing things wrong and why I should sell them stuff for nothing, I'm going to agree to the price and I'm going to instruct them to meet at a parking lot at some shopping center out in the boonies. Then about 15 minutes after the meeting time I'll email them and say I got held up and I'll be there in like 20 minutes and then block their email. 

Nothing like local fruitcakes :) 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So a guy contacts me through my "LEGO WANTED CL AD" Thursday offering his collection for sale. Sends me pictures and details of what he's selling. After a good phone call we both agree that Sunday(today) would be a great day for me to drive the 1.5 hours to pick them up and that he'd text his address and follow up Saturday(yesterday) to confirm. Saturday comes and no reply. I email him late to follow up, nothing. Text him this morning, nothing. Call him and it goes to voicemail. So I left a message just asking for a reply if he changed his mind or already sold them. No reply. I guess I missed out on these for $250. 

20170401_125232_resized.jpg

20170401_125237_resized.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I use craigslist on occasion and usually have 2 or 3 people email me their interested in a posting. It is typical that 1 or 2 never respond after the initial contact.

the last thing I posted has had 9 people email me in the past week but none respond back after I let them know they are still available. This is unusual for me. I keep checking that the email actually sent, and it is in my sent emails. Has anyone else had this issue? Maybe the messages are not being delivered through Craigslist properly? Or just people can not make up their minds

25 minutes ago, Salimr said:

I use craigslist on occasion and usually have 2 or 3 people email me their interested in a posting. It is typical that 1 or 2 never respond after the initial contact.

the last thing I posted has had 9 people email me in the past week but none respond back after I let them know they are still available. This is unusual for me. I keep checking that the email actually sent, and it is in my sent emails. Has anyone else had this issue? Maybe the messages are not being delivered through Craigslist properly? Or just people can not make up their minds

Inquiries like yours seem to come late at night or after midnight.
They're usually poorly written with very little information in hopes that you offer some personal information in your email reply.

Can you share an example?

It's basically a phishing expedition...
They use any information (cell phone numbers, email addresses, etc.) for spam and marketing purposes...

On the other hand, people on CL change their mind but don't bother letting you know...

• 4 weeks later...

After a pretty quiet period on the CL/Letgo/OfferUp front the last couple months, I've had an uptick in the last couple weeks.  My first couple local sales in months and a bunch of "you're dumb for not selling stuff at a loss to me so I can profit of it" contact.  Three people have offered me $100 for a Saturn V.  One guy came up to like $175, but wouldn't go to $200, bc he could get it at Amazon "with returns". But you can't have it in hand today with the ability to inspect the box from Amazon.  A guy today who offered me $200 for a Helicarrier wouldn't agree to $320 after coming up to $300, because it's the same price at Amazon with free shipping, except that it's $350 plus $25 tax in Florida. I refuse to be the guy who puts the ranting "no lowballers" footer on my posts, but man I just want to put "I'm not stupid, I know what these are worth, consider that before offers" but I'm sure it would just turn away the non-resellers who actually buy stuff. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bold-Arrow said:

I'd would have taken the $175. Everything else I agree with

I only have two of the Saturn V and I want to sell them both at $200 to pay for one for my collection. If had sold one at $200 already, I probably would have accepted the $175.

So I posted a used Sentai Fortress on CL for $110.  Got a text with a non-local area code like 10 minutes after posting.  Texted back "are you local".  Got "will send money order, yada yada".  ARGGGH! you got me scambot! Generally I only get those when it's over like $300 and know to ignore them.  I sure wish there was a human on the other end of that text so he could take my two word answer to heart.

• 4 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, rpaulson7 said:

So, seems legit, hopefully I'm still alive after drinking the first bottle.

She Devil Tripel - tastes sweet then the alcholol kicks in...

I'd be careful of any brews so opposite to the normal - that person looks fugly then the alcohol kicks in.

On 7/12/2017 at 2:52 PM, TigerEyez said:

So I posted a used Sentai Fortress on CL for $110.  Got a text with a non-local area code like 10 minutes after posting.  Texted back "are you local".  Got "will send money order, yada yada".  ARGGGH! you got me scambot! Generally I only get those when it's over like $300 and know to ignore them.  I sure wish there was a human on the other end of that text so he could take my two word answer to heart.

I played one of those guys for a while one time. Eventually he just said something like "Trust me, this is legit." Then I let him have it ;). 

• Like 1