Craigslist war stories

tonysbricks

2 hours ago, gregpj said:

She Devil Tripel - tastes sweet then the alcholol kicks in...

I'd be careful of any brews so opposite to the normal - that person looks fugly then the alcohol kicks in.

I'm not a beer drinker, mostly because ever beer tastes bitter to me.  "Tastes sweet then the alcohol kicks in" sounds just what I'd like to drink.

• 4 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, MarleyMoose said:

Not a war story but I figured I'd throw this here. I love how the ad says you can get the missing minifigures free just by calling Lego.

https://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/tag/d/lego-avengers-tower-hydra/6292579883.html

And he/she of course doesn't like putting the sets together either.  Nope, no evidence of that.  

1 hour ago, MarleyMoose said:

Not a war story but I figured I'd throw this here. I love how the ad says you can get the missing minifigures free just by calling Lego.

https://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/tag/d/lego-avengers-tower-hydra/6292579883.html

Oh man.  You find all types on Boston's CL ads.  Sometimes there are some gems but for the most part, I find it meh pretty much.

• 3 months later...

LetGo app showed a new sealed 10188 Death Star for $300. Talked the guy down to $275 because I was local and could meet him down the street from his house. Specifically the local sheriff station parking lot.

e3df095b8032d4c67605da0707a15e89.png

Sure enough, its obvious the box has been resealed. I cracked it open and every box has been opened. There are no instructions. There are loose pieces. No bag 1s (where the minifigs are).

• Like 1

LetGo app showed a new sealed 10188 Death Star for $300. Talked the guy down to $275 because I was local and could meet him down the street from his house. Specifically the local sheriff station parking lot.

e3df095b8032d4c67605da0707a15e89.png

Sure enough, its obvious the box has been resealed. I cracked it open and every box has been opened. There are no instructions. There are loose pieces. No bag 1s (where the minifigs are).

I sure hope you did all this right there and then before paying the guy ....
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
9 hours ago, brickvoyeur said:

Ladies and gentlemen, watch out when selling these Target price error sets. Your soul is on the line... if you still have one of course.

image.png.a3d6ccf8c84e315ae19e59f680fc30f2.png

I don't think this guy knows how Karma works. Who is exhibiting petty jealousy and judgemental behavior, and who has liberated profit from the big bad corporation and given it to the little guy? I'll take Robin Hood level Karma any day! ??

• Like 5

15 hours ago, ichiroll said:

Just curious, how did the seller look / handle the situation once you started opening the box up?

I could tell that he knew he had been caught.  And because he was at the Sheriff station, he knew he couldn't get away with anything.  So he was real quick to apologize and get out of there.

16 hours ago, brickvoyeur said:

Ladies and gentlemen, watch out when selling these Target price error sets. Your soul is on the line... if you still have one of course.

image.png.a3d6ccf8c84e315ae19e59f680fc30f2.png

I see a lot of similar posts on Facebook, something like "I know how much these have been selling for so don't try to gouge me." it makes me wonder what the incentive is for anyone to sell something to them for exactly as much as they got it for and losing money due to fees.

• Like 2

I know the recommended approach to trolls like that is to simply ignore and block them. But I'd be inclined to give a similar snarky response on such an unregulated platform. Something along the lines of...

"Turns out I've been selling them at this inflated price for weeks already; just because Target had a sale and you missed out on it, suddenly makes me soulless? Perhaps you'd be better off spending your time devising a plan to avoid missing their next sale, instead of lecturing me on how karma works. As a wise man once told me, you'll only have yourself to blame for not securing a discount when it was available."

I probably couldn't help myself. Never on eBay, but CL.... sure.

• Like 1

I know the recommended approach to trolls like that is to simply ignore and block them. But I'd be inclined to give a similar snarky response on such an unregulated platform. Something along the lines of...

"Turns out I've been selling them at this inflated price for weeks already; just because Target had a sale and you missed out on it, suddenly makes me soulless? Perhaps you'd be better off spending your time devising a plan to avoid missing their next sale, instead of lecturing me on how karma works. As a wise man once told me, you'll only have yourself to blame for not securing a discount when it was available."

I probably couldn't help myself. Never on eBay, but CL.... sure.
I would reply with "What do you know about Karma? I lost my job last month, my mother died unexpectedly over Christmas and my wife is terminally ill. I needed a break. Think before you judge. To make up for your brash statements you can buy my Assembly Square for my asking price plus $100 in emotional damages.".
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

U all are over thinking i . Just arrange a meeting 30 minute from his house for a more “reasonable” price . 2 minutes from “arrival” let them know you running late . Block account , drink beer . 

“You’re right, it is a bit overpriced, how much were you thinking?” “Great! I’ll do it, since you’re a smart buyer. How about we meet at X location”.

But ask them to text you when they get there. When they are there, tell them you’re just a few minutes out. Then follow BA’s instructions.

“You’re right, it is a bit overpriced, how much were you thinking?” “Great! I’ll do it, since you’re a smart buyer. How about we meet at X location”.

But ask them to text you when they get there. When they are there, tell them you’re just a few minutes out. Then follow BA’s instructions.

“I’m on my way. Stupid traffic. I’ll get there as soon as I can.”

“Dang it. I got pulled over for speeding. Will be 10 min late. “

“Now I got a flat tire. “

“Man, karma’s biting me in the arse. See you soon.”

“Did you leave? Why didn’t you wait for me? I lowered my price for you. Wanted to have good karma and all, now you screwed me over. Do you have a soul?!”

• Like 5
  • Haha 3