Musical Picks

TheOrcKing

You may have grown up with the tune or saw the parody on Family Guy, either way it's still a good tune.

A-ha - Take on Me, 1985

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djV11Xbc914

Here's the 'literal video' version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HE9OQ4FnkQ

And here's the little parody on Family Guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3yIq4qD31E

(Best quality I could find for that last one. Ridiculous!)

Here's the sweet soundtrack to the Sega CD game based on the original film.

The whole thing was composed by Tommy Tallarico, except for the main theme by Brad Feidel.

The Terminator (1992 - Sega CD)

Main Theme

Taking it to the Air

Future Shock

This Way

Destinations Unknown

Visions

On Your Side

Metamorphosis

Cybertek

Here's the original 'vocal' version of "Destinations Unknown".

Here's a cover track I found coincidently.

Taking it to the Air - Razor Dave Cover

I've found that the original soundtrack to the original film has been posted on youtube if you're curious.

While Konami's Contra may have created the scrolling shoot 'em up, this one redefined the genre and made it fun!

Plus the animation is still some of the best ever done and still influences many pixel artists around the world.

Metal Slug (1996 - Neo Geo)

Title Screen

How to Play, Mission All Over!

Mission 1

Mission 2 - Inner Station

Mission 3 - Assault

Mission 4 - Ridge

Mission 5 - Gerhardt City

Final Mission

Boss Battle

Mission Complete!

Ending - 1 Player

Ending - 2 Players

Game Over

A wierd mix inbetween the second and third in the series, X was more like an upgraded special edition than an actual sequel. Still, some good fun to be had and a couple of the tracks were altered somewhat. (Mission 1 received the most noticeable changes.)

Metal Slug X (1999 - Neo Geo)
Title Screen
Soldier Select
Judgement (Mission 1)
Steel Beast (Boss Theme 1)
Prehistoric Site (Mission 2-1)
The Cenotaph (Mission 2-3)
First Contact (Boss Theme 2, Mission 6-2)
Livin

Since SNK had to file for bankruptcy in 2000 shortly after Metal Slug 3 was out in arcades, the next in line was a joint venture between the Korean based MEGA Enterprise that handled the development and distribution, and Japanese company Noise Factory who mainly did musical scores. (They also did some of the music for the third in the series.) Because the two characters introduced, Nadia and Trevor, were created under MEGA's time of title ownership, they have not and will not be included in any future sequel. In any case, this is one of the best soundtracks from the series and unlike the prior titles, ALL of the tracks are completely brand new.

Metal Slug 4 (2002 - Neo Geo)
Soldier Select
Let's Run Through! (Mission 1)
Scene of a Hard Battle (Boss Theme 1)
Show Spirit (Mission 2)
Furiously (Boss Theme 2)
Snowy Road (Mission 3)
Cadaverous (Mission 4)
Go Ahead (Mission 5)
Secret Place (Final Mission)
Final Madness (Final Boss)
Mission Complete!
End to the War (Credits)
Game Over

After the last one being handled by MEGA Enterprises, this title was bought back by the newly formed SNK Playmore company with Noise Factory still handling the music department delivering an awesome heavy metal mix soundtrack! All of the backgrounds and enemies are completely brand new (a lot were reused a number of times before). This sequel also introduced the 'slide-dash' maneuver, a couple of new Slug's, and was the first time in the series where you truly fought against someone else besides the forces of Morden. Yes, the second one had aliens in there but you still fought against Morden's troops mainly as well in the other sequels. Metal Slug 5 was the last of the series to appear on the original NeoGeo console and was probably the last great game for it.

Metal Slug 5 (2005 - Neo Geo)
Soldier Select
Heavy African (Mission 1-1)
Ruins Excavation (Mission 1-2)
Last Ditch Resistance (Mission 1 - Black Hound Path, Final Mission 1-2)
Windy Day (Mission 2-1)
Zoom Down (Mission 2-2)
Intrigue (Mision 3)
Run Through (Mission 4-1)
Bottom of the Sea (Mission 4-2)
Speeder (Final Mission 1-1)
Fierce Battle (Boss)
Final Attack (Final Boss)
Mission Complete!
Road to Success (Credits)
Game Over

The sixth in the series so happened to be released by year six of 2000. Out of the series, this had a less than stellar feel to it. In fact, I enjoyed the sequel on the Gameboy Advance better than this one honestly. The music did not fit the series nor did it get you pumped up to kick butt, plus a couple just seem like lousy covers or half arsed remixes of older tunes. The backgrounds didn't fit with the artstyle of the characters that haven't changed since the original and a whole slew of other bits made this more like the odd stepchild. You want to like it but simply can't. Ah well, here's the soundtrack for your listening pleasure (or displeasure). Perhaps you may find something about it to like.

Metal Slug 6 (2006)

Soldier Select

Mission 1-1

Cliff & Cave (Mission 1-2)

Inner Goldfield (Mission 2)

Asian Impact (Mission 3)

Bridge 256 (Mission 4-1)

Aim High, Chase Fast (Mission 4-2)

Final Attack (Final Mission)

Steel Beast (Boss Theme 1)

Biotoxic (Boss Theme 2)

Unavoidable Duel (Boss Theme 3)

Discharge (Final Boss)

Mission Complete!

Game Over

The last 'true' sequel in the series went portable by being available on Nintendo DS and PSP, and was also offered through XBox Live Arcade. This one added something that was both new and rather odd. Two characters from the King of Fighters series, Ralf and Clark (aka the Ikari Warriors), were selectable players in addition to the standard main four original soldiers. Then with the revised version specifically for the PSP and then later on XBox Live Arcade, Leona Heidern (also from KOF), was added to the roster. The soundtrack was a better offering overall compared to the prior sequel yet still not quite true Metal Slug in my opinion. (Far as I know, both 7 & XX featured the exact same soundtracks. Not even 'subtle' changes.)

Metal Slug 7 (2008 - Nintendo DS & PSP), Metal Slug XX (2009 - PSP)

Main Menu, Mission All Over!

Soldier Select

Scrap Island (Mission 1)

Coal Mine (Mission 2)

Underground Fortress (Mission 3)

The Waterfall (Mission 4)

Ruins Base (Mission 5)

Snowy Country (Mission 6)

Assault (Mission 6 - Boss)

The Beginning is the End (Final Mission)

Beast of Beet 9/8 (Boss)

Melody of my own way (Credits)

Combat School

Mission Complete!

Game Over

Elevated in Rank

Here is the last of the Metal Slugs (outside of the odd one in the group Metal Slug 3D that never left Japan). Technically the third in the series designed for a pocket console (first two were on the relatively unknown NeoGeo Pocket Color that was much like the Gameboy Color), the soundtrack and even the game itself is like a mix to remix of all tracks and titles prior 2004. The whole package is very faithful to the original and has a number of bonus features to unlock. On a odd note, this is the only title to not have any of the main characters. Instead you are treated with two brand new characters that have only appeared on this port, Walter Ryan and Tyra Elson. The only real negative is there really isn't anything new here. Almost all of the sprites. backgrounds, and bosses are either taken from or based on previous sequels. And the animation isn't very smooth; it's workable but could be a little nicer.

Metal Slug Advance (2004 - Game Boy Advance)
Title Screen
Soldier Select
Menu Menu
Mission 1
Mission 2
Mission 2 - Side Area
Mission 3
Mission 4
Final Mission 1-1
Final Mission 1-2
Assault (Dungeon Mission)
Steel Beast (Boss)
Mission Complete!
Victory
Ending
Game Over
Unknown Track

Here is the last Metal Slug anything related soundtrack which for the most part is good though I can't say the same for the actual game itself. SNK Playmore thought to take the classic 2D game and make the transition to the third dimension. What could possibly go wrong? Well as it seems. Everything. The core gameplay and controls are atrocious, the animation throughout the game and cut scenes are wierd, and the dialogue and voice acting is plain godawful. They even tried to add useless talking and story to drag the dumb thing out. It seems out of the whole thing the only part they did get moderately okay was the music. This is a prime example of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Metal Slug 3D (2006 - Playstation 2)

Weapons Free

New Plot

Honest People Who Fight

Soldier Who Confronts It

The Comfortable Tension

Situation The Becomes Tense

Settle Down

At the Relief

It Talks About the History

Imminent Danger

Dangerous Atmosphere

Sense of Crisis

Allen's Theme

Morden's Theme

Oguma's Theme

Agonizing Decision

Start From Mountain Village

HQ in the City

Desert Town

Coal Mine Mark

Coal Underground Ruins

Atmospheric Discharge

Break the Barrier

Sink Under the Waves

The South Pole

Climb the Tower

Out of Control

Shout of Sadness

Escape Velocity

Various Bosses

Combat Beginning

Doubtful Castle

Secret in the Iceburg

Living Thing That Goes Mad

Scientist's Fate

People Who Had A Hard Time

Mission Complete!

The Result is All

Game Over

Unused Track

Here's a much needed break from all them Slugs, heh. Some classics for good listening anyday of the week.

(Another band I could fill this entire thread with.)

Creedance Clearwater Revival

Looking Out My Back Door, 1970

Have You Ever Seen The Rain, 1971

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnRrNyyvV_Y

I Heard It Through The Grapevine, 1968

Born on the Bayou, 1969

I have noticed that most of the bands that I listen to have female singers. Here's a list with a song that would be my introduction for you to them. Probably you've heard some of them ;) Metric - Hustle Rose Garbage - Vow The Ting Tings - That's Not My Name Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Zero Silversun Pickups - Future Foe Scenarios The Naked and Famous - Punching In A Dream Goldfrapp - Happiness And as a venezuelan, I'll recommend a band of young guys that have made a good impression: La Vida Boheme - Calle Barcelona I also listen electronic, but have been disconnected for a while and I know very little about today's supposed DJs.

Have you guys mentioned the new song, playing on the radio now, by Ed Sheeran called "Lego House"?? YouTube it. He even has a Lego helicopter in it. Also, someone made a Lego *version* of the video and you can watch them side by side. Funny stuff. I thought of how big the hobby is if it's sung on the radio, hehe.

Have you guys mentioned the new song, playing on the radio now, by Ed Sheeran called "Lego House"?? YouTube it. He even has a Lego helicopter in it. Also, someone made a Lego *version* of the video and you can watch them side by side. Funny stuff. I thought of how big the hobby is if it's sung on the radio, hehe.

I had not even heard of that one. It was nice, thanks for pointing it out.

Here is the music video with the Lego & original side by side.

The animator for the Lego version has done some brilliant work before. A couple have even been featured on the site.

To M4x18:

I've always loved Garbage, and listened to The Ting Tings and Yeah Yeah Yeahs. Can't say I remember the others but now I have some more to add to my own playlist! And I'm sure I would be considered by most to be 'disconnected' from current musical trends, so I have no idea what real DJ's play nowadays really.

Here's the playlist for the best soundtrack in any game that has ever been and ever will be. Every single composition works perfectly within the scene and sounds great even outside of it. The game became the most sought after video game for the original Playstation and features some of Michiru Yamane's best work hands down. Even to this day, it's one of the greatest games of all time and considered a cult classic. On a side note, it was a direct sequel to Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, another title in the series with an impressive soundtrack all around.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (1997 - Playstation)

Prayer (Main Menu)

Metamorphosis I (Opening)

Prologue (Bloodlines)

Dance of Illusions (Duel with Dracula)

Moonlight Nocturne (Prologue)

Dracula's Castle

Dance of Gold (Alchemy Laboratory)

Marble Gallery

Tower of Mist (Outer Wall)

Festival of Spirits (Boss Fight 1)

Wood Carving Partita (Long Library)

Requiem for the Gods (Chapel)

Crystal Teardrops (Underground Tunnel)

Death Ballad (Boss Fight 2)

Abandoned Pit (Old Mine)

Rainbow Cemetery (Catacombs)

Wandering Ghosts (Coliseum)

The Tragic Prince (Clock Tower)

Heavenly Doorway (Main Tower)

Blood Relations (Battle with Richter Belmont)

Metamorphosis II (2nd Castle Appears)

Final Toccata (2nd Castle - Main Tower)

Lost Painting (2nd Castle - Chapel)

Dance of Pales (2nd Castle - Long Library)

Curse Zone (2nd Castle - Catacombs)

Enchanted Banquet (2nd Castle - Boss Fight)

Door of Holy Spirits (2nd Castle - Coliseum)

Door to the Abyss (Path to the dark priest, Shaft)

Black Banquet (Final Battle with Dracula)

Metamorphosis III (Destruction of Dracula's Castle)

Nocturne (Credits - Original in Japanese)

Nocturne (Credits - Original in English)

I am the Wind (Credits - US)

Land of Benediction (Game Over)

Alucard's Vengeance (Hidden Track)

Silence (Unknown Track)

Unused Track

To M4x18:

I've always loved Garbage, and listened to The Ting Tings and Yeah Yeah Yeahs. Can't say I remember the others but now I have some more to add to my own playlist! And I'm sure I would be considered by most to be 'disconnected' from current musical trends, so I have no idea what real DJ's play nowadays really.

Garbage rocks, I was lucky enough to see them perform in London last year... Incredible!

Here's the soundtrack of a relatively unknown gem from the 16-bit days of Super Nintendo. It isn't surprising to me how good the music is with the name of Natsume behind it. (Even titles on the older NES by the company had good music.) The setting is a prime example of steampunk with its mixture of wild west and science fiction elements.

Wild Guns (1994 - Super Nintendo)

Opening

Player Select

Practice/Bonus Stage

Carson City (Stage 1)

Desolation Canyon (Stage 2)

Ammunition Depot (Stage 3)

Gold Mine (Stage 4)

Armored Train (Stage 5)

Boss

Final Duel

Final Boss

Ending

Here is a full remix of the entire soundtrack by remixer, TAK.

(Good for the most part but sounds loud and muffled on certain instruments.)

Opening

Player Select

Practice/Bonus Stage

Carson City

Desolation Canyon

Ammunition Depot

Gold Mine

Armored Train

Boss

Final Duel

Final Boss

Ending

Here are a couple from MyNewSoundtrack on youtube.

Carson City

Player Select/Carson City Remastered