Musical Picks

TheOrcKing

I usually don't post links to an entire CD but this one is different. The entire album is like an amazing sonata telling a story that plays in the very depths of the mind's eye. A collaboration between Daft Punk, Leiji Matsumoto, Cedric Hervet and Toei Animation lead to a series of anime music videos that eventually became one great visual tale of a unique musical, Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem. If you click on the tracks in sequence, you can also watch the animated musical in its entirety. Enjoy!

Daft Punk - Discovery 2001

Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem 2003

One More Time

Aerodynamic

Digital Love

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Crescendolls

Nightvision

Superheroes

High Life

Something About Us

Voyager

Veridis Quo

Short Circuit

Face to Face

Too Long

Here is the soundtrack to a Playstation 1 game I don't think many have even heard of. It was a genre in the vain of Twisted Metal but on the water with boats! You had machines guns, special weapons, heatseekers, mines, grenades, shockwaves, and a bunch of other crap I can't even name or spell! ;-P The music, as Peter Griffin would say, is "friggin' sweet!"

As far as I know, the tracks never had names or I just can't remember them.

Dead in the Water (1998 - Playstation)

Track 1

Track 2

Track 3

Track 4

Track 5

Track 6

Track 7

Track 8

Track 9

Track 10

Here's a video showing the intro, selection of characters, and some gameplay in Race mode.

Here's the soundtrack from the PC game that defined real time strategy games. Actually the very first one that created and defined the genre was Dune: The Battle for Arakis but most people remember this one. (Both were made by the now defunct Westwood Studios. And yes, ALL of these tracks are from the one game!)

Command & Conquer: Tiberian Dawn (1995 - PC)

Act on Instinct

Act on Instinct Remix

No Mercy

No Mercy Remix

Industrial

Iron Fist

Deception

Deception Remix

Radio

On The Prowl

Recon

Drone

In The Line of Fire

Prepare for Battle

Depth Charge

Rain in the Night

Creeping Upon

Just Do It Up!

Just Do It Up! Remix

Mechanical Man

C&C Thang

To Be Feared

Drill

Warfare

Looks Like Trouble

Looks Like Trouble Remix

March to Doom

Untamed Lands

Take em' Out

Score - GDI

Score - Nod (Unused)

Map Screen - GDI

Map Screen - Nod (Unused)

In the name of Kane!

KANE LIVES IN DEATH!!!!

....Wait, that's from C&C: Tiberian Sun.

Nevermind. :-P

Here I am going retro again with the playlist for another NES title. Great soundtrack, gameplay, and graphics for the time. You want to know what makes a great game then play this for a while.

Batman (1989 - Nintendo)

Title

Opening

Cutscene

Streets of Desolation (Stage 1)/ Cathedral (Stage 5)

Axis Chemical Factory (Stage 2)

Underground Conduit (Stage 3)

Laboratory Ruins (Stage 4)

Boss Fight

Ending

Dead

Game Over/Continue

Here are some remixes.

Stephen Kennedy - Music of Funk (Streets of Desolation)

Megadriver - Streets of Desolation

Tom Eriksson - Batman Metal

1Dude4Guitars - Laboratory Ruins Cover

For anyone that had an Amiga, then here is one for you. It took me forever before I got a chance to play the original and was totally worth it. The entire soundtrack, sound effects, and even music synthesizers was done by german composer, Chris Huelsbeck, and the game is one of Factor 5/Rainbow Arts' most memorable titles.

Turrican (1990 - Amiga 500)

Main Theme

Level 1 - Part 1

Level 1 - Part 2

Level 1 - Part 3

Level 2 - Part 1

Level 2 - Part 2

Level 3 - Part 1

Level 3 - Part 2

Level 3 - Part 3

Level 5 - Part 1

Level 5 - Part 2

Level 5 - Boss

Here is the complete soundtrack remixed by the original composer himself!

It has a selection from Turrican 1, 2, and 3, I think.

And a random remix for good measure.

Charles-Henri Avelange - Main Theme Heavy Remix

The last of the series for the Amiga and for a while until Super Turrican 1 & 2 on the Super Nintendo. Emotions are a bit mixed on this one in regards to many aspects such as lack of difficulty, subpar enemy design, and less than stellar music. It still is pretty fun though and was probably made a lot better when ported to the Sega Genesis as Mega Turrican.

Turrican 3 - Payment Day (1993 - Amiga 500)

Opening

Factory Action (Stage 1-1)

Second Floor (Stage 1-2)

Platform Action (Stage 1-3)

Meat Beast (Boss Theme 1)

Wet Dungeon (Stage 2-1)

Do the Bath Man (Stage 2-2)

Swim or Die (Boss Theme 2)

Air Combat (Stage 3-1)

Scrap Yard (Stage 3-2)

Climb to Survive (Stage 5-1)

Screw Nut Hall (Secret Area)

Ending

This seems to be the most complete I can find for the Amiga version playlist.

If it was the Sega Genesis version, the list would be much longer.

Originally, this was meant to be a console exclusive but was decided later on in the development cycle to be ported to the Amiga computer and strangely enough that version came out before this one making Amiga's seem like the original. I think the reason behind the 'Mega' surname is because the Genesis console was called in Japan and Europe the "Mega Drive"; very similiar to Nintendo and their own Super Nintendo console starting the whole "Super" this and that slapped on practically every title.

Anyway, between the two versions I like the overall edgy sound of the Genesis version better than the the Amiga's. Of course it is a matter of preferance and now you can have both playlists to listen & compare. Some do sound better on the Amiga and vice versa.

Mega Turrican (1994 - Sega Genesis)

Opening

Stage 1-1

Stage 1-2

Stage 1-Secret Area

Stage 1-Boss

Stage 2-1

Stage 2-2

Stage 2-3

Stage 2-Boss

Stage 3-1

Stage 3-2

Stage 3-3

Stage 3-4

Stage 4-1

Stage 4-2

Stage 4-3

Stage 4-Boss

Stage 5-1

Stage 5-2

Stage 5-Boss

Ending

Not to be confused with the 8-bit NES game of the same name, this was the first SNES console exclusive of the Turrican series. The soundtrack is like a mix of all three in the series using the console's synthesizers to create an instrumentally incredible masterpiece. In most ways this is better the Genesis but that one does have its good ones.

Super Turrican (1993 - Super Nintendo)

Opening

Stage 1-1

Stage 1-2

Stage 1-3

Stage 1-Boss Intro

Stage 1-Boss

Stage 2-1

Stage 2-2

Stage 2-3

Stage 2-4

Stage 2-Boss Intro

Stage 2-Boss

Stage 3-1

Stage 3-2

Stage 3-3

Stage 3-Boss

Stage 4-1

Stage 4-2

Stage 4-3

Final Boss

Ending

I'm trying to think of but a few of my favorites from the Atari 7800. Let's see, there was Taz, Dark Chambers, Crystal Castles, Solaris, Food Fight, Mario Bros, Galaga, Pole Position 1& 2, Dig Dug, Midnight Magic, and some others. Man that was some good stuff. Pretty loud too with all those 'in your face' sound effects. Ha ha. I certainly have been on a wierd kick with all this video game music but it is a big portion of my life really. I listened to other music to be sure but for a lot of my life I did play them games! :-) Well in an odd way all that 'playing' is paying off cause I'm using all the pros & cons learned from different games to apply in my own ideas. I have the one last Turrican in the series to cover and then....on to some other title! I'm trying my hand with some chiptunes so that I can create some retro sounding music maybe mixed in with some current stuff. I remember coming across a website where people post stuff like this. I just need to find it again....

The final chapter for this entire series is an interesting one in many aspects. First off, your character looks like a memory of his former shelf with a brand new yet similiar 'Turrican' suit. The music this time around is more instrumental, moody, cinematic, and unique compared to all previous titles, but still good though and done by the original composer, Chris H

All I'm going to say is, it probably can't get anymore cliche than this!

Survivor - Eye of the Tiger, 1982

'Wierd Al' Yankovic - Rye or the Kaiser, 1984

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbq08-_UhUU

And you've never seen or heard it done quite like this before!

Rayman Legends - Eye of the Tiger Trailer

Here's the playlist for an arcade shooter than had me at hello with that first track. Okay, the overall soundtrack is decent and, well, short and a couple were the real highlights, and by most the version on the Sega Genesis was way better and I'm inclined to agree with that. This was the first in a three part series, so stay tuned!

Vapor Trail: Hyper Offence Formation (1989 - Arcade)

Nightmare Ragnorok (Opening)

Take Off (Select Fighter)

Vapor Trail (Mission Theme)

Bloody Road (Mission 1, 2, & 5 - Boss, Final Boss)

In The Dark (Mission 3 - Boss)

Threat of Under Sea (Mission 4 - Boss)

Mission Accomplished

The Glory Dreamt Of (Ending)

Freedom Fighter (Highscore)

A Long Way Ahead (Continue?)

Death of a Hero (Game Over)

And here's a couple of official 'arranged' covers found in the final sequel of the series, Skull Fang.

Vapor Trail

Bloody Road

Just found this wicked awesome cover track!

Gamadelic - Vapor Trail

I mentioned with the prior title that it had a version ported to the Genesis and most prefer the sound of that to the original. So here for your listening pleasure is the Sega version for comparison with the Arcade.

Vapor Trail: Hyper Offence Formation (1991 - Sega Genesis)

Nightmare Ragnorok (Opening)

Take Off (Select Fighter)

Vapor Trail (Mission Theme)

Bloody Road (Mission 1, 2, & 5 - Boss, Final Boss)

In The Dark (Mission 3 - Boss)

Threat of Under Sea (Mission 4 - Boss)

Mission Accomplished

The Glory Dreamt Of (Ending)

Staff Roll

Freedom Fighter (Highscore)

A Long Way Ahead (Continue?)

Death of a Hero (Game Over)

Following up with the sequel to Vapor Trail (or Kuhga - Operation Code Vapor Trail in Japan) is Rohga: Armor Force (or Wolf Fang: Kuhga 2001 in Japan). Whereas the first was a vertical scrolling shooter, this took a completely different approach as a horizontal shoot em' up. Besides great gameplay you add the option of customizing your mech right from the start!

Rohga: Armor Force (1991 - Arcade)

Opening

Construct your Robot

Mission 1 & 12

Mission 2

Boss Theme 1

Mission 3 & 8

Mission 4 & 9

Boss Theme 2

Mission 5 & 7

Mission 6

Mission 10 & 11

Mission Complete/Game Over/Continue Screen

Ending

Highscore

Unknown 1

Unknown 2

And here's the only one I could find posted from the arranged soundtrack when it was ported to the Sega Saturn. I'm serious, I could only find this one! And I know the Playstation one has a completely different soundtrack too but can't find that either! Ugh, and they were so good too....

Wolf Fang: Rohga (1996 - Sega Saturn)

Stage 1

Boss Theme 2

I think that like eight pages of this thread are pure OrcKing. :P

Yeah, it gets tiring seeing my ugly green mug for pages, don't it? :roll:

Ah, what can I say? I love music and video games, and both go hand in hand pretty well. I need to go back to my MOC Highlights thread every once in a while to even things out I think. :smirk:

Might as well round off this series with the final installment. Still a great soundtrack and also had a few official remixes added in as a bonus (which I added to the playlist of the corresponding titles from before).

Skull Fang: Kuhga Gaiden (1996 - Arcade)

Over Boost (Opening)

Skull Fang (Mission 1)

Sonic Driver (Mission 2)

So far this is all I can find posted for this game.

Didn't find more covers unfortunately except for one more to add to Wolf Fang (Boss Theme 2).