21016 - Sungnyemun

govtcheeze

• 1 month later...

Even though this set only debuted in mid-2012, it is already listed as "sold out" on Lego Shop at Home. I can pick up a few at $42 shipped each (original MSRP was $35). Given this set's short production run, should I bite? Also, does anyone think that Lego will produce a second batch of these?

I just wrote an forum about investing in Architecture and a lot of the guys/gals are saying that they're to expensive and that they have no playability so kids won't really want them so you're losing business there and I'm not sure how they'll do in the secondary market. I would not get them unless you are keeping them for you self, but that's just me, do what you will.

Those are good points, true. However, take a look at the prices for another retired, short-run architecture set. A lot of people seem to like the John Hancock Center. http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=80948 And yes, it is true that I was hoping to build a Sungnyemun and display it next to the Brandenburg Gate I already own. Hmm, decisions, decisions.

Two things: 1. It's listed as a "retiring soon" product so from my observation, in the past whenever such a product sells out, I haven't seen it come back in stock, but that's from my limited experience, happy to hear what others think 2. On eBay, this set seems to sell pretty well, $50ish from the most recent sales, granted there aren't a lot being sold nor are there a lot of current listings, take that as you will

Even though this set only debuted in mid-2012, it is already listed as "sold out" on Lego Shop at Home. I can pick up a few at $42 shipped each (original MSRP was $35).

Given this set's short production run, should I bite? Also, does anyone think that Lego will produce a second batch of these?

One again How to get it? for 42-45....Amazon 49.99...

Psst....send me PM.

Based on the only other EOL architecture set, Hancock Center, I purchased 14 Sungnyemun sets during the last TRU BOGO sale. It was one of the few sets that was not marked above retail so I averaged $26 + tax per set. It was labeled "Retiring Soon" on LEGO Shop at Home at that point. My opinion is that the architecture line will become more popular and anyone that wants the complete line will need this set. Sungnyemun will probably have the shortest production run out of all of them at 6-8 months so it may be one of the hardest to find NIB in the future. That being said it was only a $35 set so even if it triples in value, the monetary gains may not be overwelming, but the percentage gains will be great. Remember, this is purely my speculation, but I can always hope! PS- If anyone has a stash of Hancock Centers, I would gladly shell out double retail for a few of them. :)

I should have stocked up on Architecture sets, too--oh well. The $42 deal I referenced in the first post was never actually valid: when I tried adding the Sungnyemun to my cart at Architectgiftsplus.com last night, the quantity kept showing up as zero. My mistake. On the bright side, some Barnes & Noble stores do have this set in stock. I was in downtown Philadelphia this afternoon, and I managed to pick up the last Sungnyemun in stock at the 1805 Walnut St. location.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently bought two of these sets for 34 euros each.. Also own one of the following the savoy, falling water, ronbie and imperial. I bought two of the sungnyemun as a test to see what they wil do jnthe future.. As soon it shows potential i might buy seconds of all the others..

• 1 month later...

I checked the Lego store in Orland Park IL this evening; they still have several copies of this set in the back storeroom.  I purchased 14 of them, and the cashier told me that the set had not been selling well at all.  She was happy to be rid of the ones I purchased--actually, she asked if I wanted to buy even more.  

Hopefully I can double my money on this set in the next 18 months. 

I checked the Lego store in Orland Park IL this evening; they still have several copies of this set in the back storeroom.  I purchased 14 of them, and the cashier told me that the set had not been selling well at all.  She was happy to be rid of the ones I purchased--actually, she asked if I wanted to buy even more.  

Hopefully I can double my money on this set in the next 18 months. 

You're well on your way already.

This set is selling for around $70 including shipping on eBay already and only going up!

I picked up a few last weekend at B&******.  Well worth it even at retail.

That B&****** membership is handy for the 10% off..

Covers the tax and a bit more.

Based on the only other EOL architecture set, Hancock Center, I purchased 14 Sungnyemun sets during the last TRU BOGO sale. It was one of the few sets that was not marked above retail so I averaged $26 + tax per set. It was labeled "Retiring Soon" on LEGO Shop at Home at that point. My opinion is that the architecture line will become more popular and anyone that wants the complete line will need this set. Sungnyemun will probably have the shortest production run out of all of them at 6-8 months so it may be one of the hardest to find NIB in the future. That being said it was only a $35 set so even if it triples in value, the monetary gains may not be overwelming, but the percentage gains will be great. Remember, this is purely my speculation, but I can always hope! PS- If anyone has a stash of Hancock Centers, I would gladly shell out double retail for a few of them. :)

So you were the guy who bought them all.  I picked up a few on the first day of the sale and was surprised to see them sold out the next day when I went to buy more.