WARNING TO LEGO BUYERS

Guest idunno101

Guest idunno101

I went to New York city on a family trip and down there they have prices that are cheaper ( I live in Canada), and at the Rockefeller center they have a Lego store which was a pretty big win for me. So I walked down there and located the Death Star sitting on a shelf ,no price tag on it by the way, then picked up the box and walked over to the checkout. I paid for the set like any other normal person would then I walked out of the store. It was then that I realized something was wrong. I looked at the receipt and saw that the Death Star was priced at $439.99 + tax which came to about $480!!!!! I couldn't believe it I had just looked on the US Lego website a couple of days ago and it was priced at $399.99. There was no way the price could've jumped that much!

I immediately went back into the store and said to the cashier this had to be a mistake since it was $40 more than what the website said but she said that this was what it's priced at so I asked if I could return it for a refund. So the manager came out and I asked him why the price was so high ,and this is the part the got me really frazzled. He said that because this Lego store is right next to a tourist location they bump up the prices so that they can make more money on unsuspecting children and adults who aren't too aware of prices but he still gave me a refund for the set. I was still puzzled at what the manager had said so I looked around the store to see if this was true and in fact it was. The Sopwith Camel priced at $99.99 on Lego's website was $109.99 and the R2-D2 priced on Lego's website at $179.99 was $200!!!! I couldn't believe what I was witnessing would Lego actually allow this to happen at their stores or is this a manager problem only at this location? So I walked down the street and found FAO Schwartz, a toy store, and they had the Death Star priced the same as Lego's website ($399.99) so I just bought it there and went back to the hotel happy that I got the set but puzzled at Lego's intentions. If any of you guys have had an experience like or somewhat like this please post it in the comments. This could be a warning to you Lego buyers out there that some Lego stores could have the prices bumped up a bit and I hope this helps some people save money.

Welcome to New York City. If you go to TGI Fridays and buy a cheeseburger, it will set you back $19.00. I went there with a co-worker, we had lunch at the Jekyll and Hyde restaurant and it was $86 for two people. NYC rips everyone off. So sadly, everything that happened there is very true and thank you for putting out the warning. I am sure they sell product there, but like you said, it's probably to rich people that come into the city to visit and don't know any better. Most stores won't do that, but in a prime spot like Rockefeller Center, everything there is prized crazy. I am glad you did get it though. Fantastic set!

Guest idunno101

Welcome to New York City. If you go to TGI Fridays and buy a cheeseburger, it will set you back $19.00. I went there with a co-worker, we had lunch at the Jekyll and Hyde restaurant and it was $86 for two people. NYC rips everyone off. So sadly, everything that happened there is very true and thank you for putting out the warning. I am sure they sell product there, but like you said, it's probably to rich people that come into the city to visit and don't know any better. Most stores won't do that, but in a prime spot like Rockefeller Center, everything there is prized crazy. I am glad you did get it though. Fantastic set!

Yeah it is very nice and the box is HUGE!! It just sucks though that you can't trust anyone anymore but I guess that's business for ya.