New LOTR sets cons?

My litte bro here is telling me that a lot of the people on here have complaints about at least one of the new sets. I just want to hear what they are. Yes I don't think that the sets are perfect but then again what sets are? So just post what you think and why you think what you think about the NEW sets. whiteboy02 now feels like he shouldn't get any of them because you guys don't think they're good sets, that's just what he said. So give him som incouragement and tell him that if he likes the set, then he should buy the set. Thanks guys!

I think the new wave of LOTR sets looks pretty good and have great potential! As I have mentioned before, both The Black Gate and the new Pirate Ship Ambush look to be great sets from this second wave of LOTR. I'm actually more excited for this wave than I was the last. I really don't have any complaints about these new LOTR sets at the moment, though that could change once I see them in person.

As investment goes, they're more than likely good condidates. But you must understand that as grown ups and fans of the films, we have certain ideas and things we would like to see in a set. So most of the negatives are more about dissapointments we have with certain aesthetics in design than investment potential.

Look at Pirate Ship Ambush, a great selection of minifigures and a pretty cool ship to boot. Then on the other hand, you have Battle at the Black Gate. Umm....it's a big wall of darkness....and that's the extent of it. The rider is cool though.

You know what, just tell whiteboy02 that regardless of what anyone here says, buy what YOU like.

I love a lot of things others don't but that doesn't keep me from scooping them up anyway. I already have a small amount of Chima, Galaxy Squad, City, and TMNT sets that others probably don't want but I don't care. Why? Just cause I like them.

TOK, you are pretty much right that The Black Gate is a wall of darkness, and that's actually a very funny way to put it (I LOL'd when reading that), I still think it's a pretty cool looking set though, but that's probably just me. For those that are looking to invest in this second wave of LOTR I don't think The Black Gate will have near the potential that The Pirate Ambush will. Why you might ask? Well because it's a pirate ship! And Lego pirate ships rule and seem to always do well in the secondary market. While I like the previous pirate ships (Imperial Flagship, Queen Anne's Revenge, and the Black Pearl) more than the LOTR pirate ship, I still think the LOTR ship is a win-win no matter what. Oh and let's not forget about the much anticipated Tower of Orthanc!

TOK, you are pretty much right that The Black Gate is a wall of darkness, and that's actually a very funny way to put it (I LOL'd when reading that), I still think it's a pretty cool looking set though, but that's probably just me.

I like it too, just my reasons are mainly towards the horseman (who for the life of me can't think of his name right now and it's driving me nuts). Plus you get a couple of orcs and I must have more for the horde! Hmhmhmhahahaha BAHAHAHAHAHA!

....*ahem* Sorry.

Simple, people aren't happy with the scale of the Eagle and some of the buildings.

The same complaints were heard when the first wave came out and the scale of Weathertop and Helm's Deep were discussed.

People will still buy them.

Word.

I think if a person is looking to invest in the LOTR sets they should listen to the advice of fellow collectors. When it comes to buying a set for their own personal collection then they should just buy whatever they want, who cares what other people think? I have read many set reviews of people being critical of sets and I just ignore them. I also wonder who buys a set and reviews it and judges it poorly, it makes me wonder why they got it in the first place.

My litte bro here is telling me that a lot of the people on here have complaints about at least one of the new sets. I just want to hear what they are. Yes I don't think that the sets are perfect but then again what sets are? So just post what you think and why you think what you think about the NEW sets.

whiteboy02 now feels like he shouldn't get any of them because you guys don't think they're good sets, that's just what he said. So give him som incouragement and tell him that if he likes the set, then he should buy the set. Thanks guys!

Some perfect sets include: Tahu, Death Star II, and V-Wing. :D

I will agree, most of the complaints are about movie correctness, not that the build sucks or that the minifigs aren't great. The pirate ship will do very well. You a (1)Licensed (2)Pirate (3)Ship from a (4) very successful movie series. Four key points that will make it a success. Throw in the fact that it has like 10 minifigs and you have an amazing investment set. The Black Gate is what it is, a black gate. A MOC'er really needs a 2nd one though to really make it look good like the movie. Yes, the Eagle is terrible. The Rivendell scene isn't great, but the minifigs again carry the set. Wizard Battle will probably be the only Saruman you will see in a set. What other scene can they make that will have him? I guess they could throw him in an Ent Battle set or he could be in Orthanc, but other than that, he will be exclusive. Which speaking of, will be an AFOL's dream come true when it's announced. You won't want to miss out on it, especially if they make the Eye of Sauron as well. Can't remember the exact name of it.

Non-dweeb? I'll take it. :) I really like the movies, but just don't know every little nuance about the movies as I just don't have the patience to read a book. It's not like everyone can remember all those wierd names in the story and place the face to match. Even me in all my nerdom can't always remember every little bloody detail; already have a hard enough time trying to remember what the heck I just did yesterday.

Well fact is, all LOTR sets kinda feel lackluster for 1 simple HUGE screaming fact... TOO FEW MINIFIGURES.... Keep trying to get a MOCer to split costs and I keep figs with weaponry and horses etc. and he keeps all the rest of the bricks for MOC. I want a display for Helm's Deep with 100 Uruks and 30 Rohan soldiers coming to aid with Gandalf the White and Eomer on horses... This is the biggest cons to LEGO LOTR... number of minifigures... I keep saying EACH set from 25$ range and higher should have 2 EXTRA minifigures as they have it now it is just way too few.

• 2 months later...

Well fact is, all LOTR sets kinda feel lackluster for 1 simple HUGE screaming fact... TOO FEW MINIFIGURES.... Keep trying to get a MOCer to split costs and I keep figs with weaponry and horses etc. and he keeps all the rest of the bricks for MOC. I want a display for Helm's Deep with 100 Uruks and 30 Rohan soldiers coming to aid with Gandalf the White and Eomer on horses... This is the biggest cons to LEGO LOTR... number of minifigures... I keep saying EACH set from 25$ range and higher should have 2 EXTRA minifigures as they have it now it is just way too few.

Yeah, like the number of minifigures in the Council of Elrond.

I will agree, most of the complaints are about movie correctness, not that the build sucks or that the minifigs aren't great. The pirate ship will do very well. You a (1)Licensed (2)Pirate (3)Ship from a (4) very successful movie series. Four key points that will make it a success. Throw in the fact that it has like 10 minifigs and you have an amazing investment set. The Black Gate is what it is, a black gate. A MOC'er really needs a 2nd one though to really make it look good like the movie. Yes, the Eagle is terrible. The Rivendell scene isn't great, but the minifigs again carry the set. Wizard Battle will probably be the only Saruman you will see in a set. What other scene can they make that will have him? I guess they could throw him in an Ent Battle set or he could be in Orthanc, but other than that, he will be exclusive. Which speaking of, will be an AFOL's dream come true when it's announced. You won't want to miss out on it, especially if they make the Eye of Sauron as well. Can't remember the exact name of it.

Doesn't Tower of Orthanc come w/ Saruman as well?

That said, I love every set in this wave of releases.  They all look awesome, and even the small ones work well.  Especially if Rivendell is in the works to pair with Council of Elrond. 

Wizard Battle - great figs + the Eye

Council of Elrond - great figs + good pair w/ Rivendell (if it comes).  Also attractive set color-wise.

Black Gate - great figs (I love Mouth of Sauron fig and Eagle gets bad rap) + good looking set (spikes are menacing) 

Pirate Ship Ambush - great figs + lots of figs + Pirate ship + decent price point for licensed ship + great, mean look (not typical pirate frigate)

Tower of Orhanc - great figs (includes Eagle) + Ent! + 3 ft tall tower of death + great detail within

I gotta say this is rapidly becoming my favorite theme release along with The Lone Ranger.  Maybe my expectations are a little lower than most, but there is some real quality in this LOTR release.