New LOTR sets cons?

Anyone else wish we didn't get endless re-hashes of the main characters in these sets?  Put the main characters in the small sets, and fill the big ones with army builders.  If you want Saruman and Gandalf then Wizard Duel is cheap and plentiful.  Orthanc should be chock full of Ents and Orcs.  That pirate ship needs a dang pirate crew too...

Anyone else wish we didn't get endless re-hashes of the main characters in these sets?  Put the main characters in the small sets, and fill the big ones with army builders.  If you want Saruman and Gandalf then Wizard Duel is cheap and plentiful.  Orthanc should be chock full of Ents and Orcs.  That pirate ship needs a dang pirate crew too...

I actually agree with this. My guess is that LEGO will be releasing some sort of battle pack or smaller set that includes more Ents..at least I hope they do, as one is simply not enough.

Complaints or not, nothing will stop me buying every LOTR set :D

I agree. I'll be trying to collect them all. So far I've avoided paying full price for all the first wave except for the Orc Forge. I shoulda picked some up when Target was a having that last sale.

While I agree they could have been better with the minifig distribution, I am absolutely content with the minifigs on the pirate ship. I would much rather have the 3 awesome ghost army figs than any generic piratebarf minifigs they could have stuffed in there.

Also, the fact Blackgate comes with the mouth of Sauron is completely badass.

While I agree they could have been better with the minifig distribution, I am absolutely content with the minifigs on the pirate ship. I would much rather have the 3 awesome ghost army figs than any generic piratebarf minifigs they could have stuffed in there.

Also, the fact Blackgate comes with the mouth of Sauron is completely badass.

Except many of us would rather have 2 corsair pirates (extra) than 2 Generic same old orcs :)

• Like 1

Yeah, I would have taken Pirates over more Orcs, but I'm satisfied that we got the dead army figs. Also I know that the big three (Aragorn, Legolas,Gimli) were pivotal to this scene, but we get them in so many sets that I wish we would've gotten more pirates/dead army instead.

Considering the scene I think it's the perfect balance. Honestly, because the scene is when they charge into the orc army with the undead, there really shouldn't even be a pirate left on the boat, as they've been killed in the takeover already by this point. Moreover, they stuffed a whopping 9 minifigs in here. I think we got a pretty damn sweet deal.

Considering the scene I think it's the perfect balance. Honestly, because the scene is when they charge into the orc army with the undead, there really shouldn't even be a pirate left on the boat, as they've been killed in the takeover already by this point. Moreover, they stuffed a whopping 9 minifigs in here. I think we got a pretty damn sweet deal.

I guess that's so you can set it up, before and after, undead attack...

The only complaint I have about LOTR is they are more for older teens and adults (who have seen the movies and read the books).  My kids ages 9 - 7 - 5 - 2 have no idea what LOTR theme is so they have no interest in purchasing any. Basically, they like all the LEGO themes except for LOTR and Hobbit. 

Other than that, I think they are pretty cool.

The only complaint I have about LOTR is they are more for older teens and adults (who have seen the movies and read the books).  My kids ages 9 - 7 - 5 - 2 have no idea what LOTR theme is so they have no interest in purchasing any. Basically, they like all the LEGO themes except for LOTR and Hobbit. 

Other than that, I think they are pretty cool.

That is a little strange, because I know kids who have never seen LOTR and love the sets.  If nothing else, they are just castle sets on beefiness steroids!

• Like 1

So, when can we expect to see Minas Tirath and an oliphant?

And we need a proper Tower of Barad-dur as a companion piece to the Tower of Orthanc....although it would need to be 3 or 4 times larger to be even close in scale. The one in the Black Gate set is lame.

So, when can we expect to see Minas Tirath and an oliphant?

And we need a proper Tower of Barad-dur as a companion piece to the Tower of Orthanc....although it would need to be 3 or 4 times larger to be even close in scale. The one in the Black Gate set is lame.

when we die and get revived sometimes next millenia!

I think they will be great investment choices. Even though many are upset with the scale of the sets, I think TLG did its best to build a model that would fit the regular price range of Lego sets, and look as close to the real thing as possible.

the wizard battle is kind of lame as is the set with the gate, the rest look pretty cool, all sail ships do well, the councel is quite unique in design, colors and minifigs and of course the tower is insane!

I have to call you out here. The gate is awesome, and has one of the coolest minifigs to date: the Mouth of Sauron, and also a Return of the King version of Aragorn. Absolutely lovely. Plus you can buy two and have a huge badass gate. Why would you think it's lame?

The Mouth of Sauron is a cool figure, right up there with Darth Malgus. All I want now is a Nazgul (is that what the dragons are called, or the riders? I want the dragon). And a Sauron. I don't know how they'd release a Sauron, considering he's only seen in a flashback in the film, but I think he deserves a minifig.

The Mouth of Sauron is a cool figure, right up there with Darth Malgus. All I want now is a Nazgul (is that what the dragons are called, or the riders? I want the dragon). And a Sauron. I don't know how they'd release a Sauron, considering he's only seen in a flashback in the film, but I think he deserves a minifig.

I think Malgus looks way better than Mouth, but Im pretty biased since Malgus was cool (played Old Republc) but Mouth (design) to me was so weird even if correct. 

Nazgul = Ringwraiths ... I think the beast Nazgul rides is called ''Fell Beast''