Greek/Roman History & Mythology - Would it make a good theme?

TheOrcKing

Friends, Romans, Countrymen! Lend me your votes!  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a theme based around Greek/Roman history and mythology?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  2. 2. If Lego did such a theme, could it make a good investment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

Guest TabbyBoy

The 7 ancient/modern/new wonders (we already have the Taj Mahal) of the World theme would be good if all 21 were UCS sets.  But, I can't see the appeal in Roman/Greek themes after the Pharaohs & Atlantis bombed.

The 7 ancient/modern/new wonders (we already have the Taj Mahal) of the World theme would be good if all 21 were UCS sets.  But, I can't see the appeal in Roman/Greek themes after the Pharaohs & Atlantis bombed.

I agree with you to some degree. The Pharaohs & Atlantis were very si-fi. If greek myths were made, as long as the stick to the real stories, no guns or flying ship, Laser guns etc. It stands a chance. Old stories don't need updating, they are scary enough. Stomping

• 5 months later...

I think it'd be awesome if they did a greek mythology theme.  I've noticed that sometimes Lego foreshadows upcoming themes with their minifigure series line (Monster fighters, Pharaoh's Quest, Galaxy Squad) and we already have Spartan's as well as the Medusa minifig.  I think this would be a hit with kids and adults.  Thoughts?

• Like 1

I think it'd be awesome if they did a greek mythology theme.  I've noticed that sometimes Lego foreshadows upcoming themes with their minifigure series line (Monster fighters, Pharaoh's Quest, Galaxy Squad) and we already have Spartan's as well as the Medusa minifig.  I think this would be a hit with kids and adults.  Thoughts?

Merged with an older thread that also so happens to have a poll. ;)

I hope they won't make a Roman or Greek theme, because I probably wouldn't keep enough money for food. :)

As a big history buff, I'd love to see it. Also given the success of movies like Gladiator or 300, I would say the world of antiquity has enough mainstream appeal. To AFOL's at least. Big question is how it will appeal to kids.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Brickpicker

• Like 1

Personally, it would be cool to simply have a "History" theme. Include some Greek and Roman sets. Then cover a few other areas and ages. LEGO wouldn't do WW1 or WW2 or closer modern I'm afraid, but you could still see some cool stuff. Egypt, medieval (though we already have way to much with all the Castle themes), Pirates (also covered already though), Napoleonic era wars (French soldiers would be cool to see. Also would be awesome to recreate the legendary parts of the Battle of Balaclava), probably more ideas I haven't though of...

On a side note, Playmobil made basically all of these at one point or another. Why not LEGO?  

Personally, it would be cool to simply have a "History" theme. Include some Greek and Roman sets. Then cover a few other areas and ages. LEGO wouldn't do WW1 or WW2 or closer modern I'm afraid, but you could still see some cool stuff. Egypt, medieval (though we already have way to much with all the Castle themes), Pirates (also covered already though), Napoleonic era wars (French soldiers would be cool to see. Also would be awesome to recreate the legendary parts of the Battle of Balaclava), probably more ideas I haven't though of...

Perhaps Lego would consider an "Antiquities" theme?  I think Lego designers could do a phenomenal job with this.

To better market this line, I would suggest making this a "large exclusive" line as it would primarily appeal to AFOLs, and release one per year similar to the Winter Village theme.  Set options could include Sphinx, Colosseum, Acropolis, Tower of Babylon, Great Wall, etc.  Each would include 2-3 era-specfiic minifigures to round out the set, and set sizes would be 1,500 to 2,500 pieces each.

I have no doubt AFOLs would snap these sets up, similar to the Large Scale Models like Taj Mahal, Tower Bridge, etc. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I think at some point we will get something like it... but I don't think that it will be as cool as we'd like it to be.

If there is not a specific franchise behind it the only way for it to be cool is if they made it like they make the Kingdoms Series.

Done right it could be super cool but I would not be suprised if they made some crab and quit the whole theme after a year.

But there still is some hope left in me ;-)

• 1 month later...