Greek/Roman History & Mythology - Would it make a good theme?

TheOrcKing

Friends, Romans, Countrymen! Lend me your votes!  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a theme based around Greek/Roman history and mythology?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  2. 2. If Lego did such a theme, could it make a good investment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

It's definitely something easily translatable into the brick world. There's so many supporting minifigs out already. I could see myself trying to collect a pantheon, even though I'm not usually one to collect minifigs in favor of selling them.

The only other exception is Ninjago. I feel completely compelled to get all the ninjas in all their stupid versions. I blame my impressionable years and Power Rangers up until that awful Ninja movie.

I know this much: I'd rather have a Mythology theme instead of another space line full of robots and aliens. But if sales of Pharoahs Quest and Atlantis have any say in it, I don't think Lego would be too keen. Which brings up another question: Is Lego playing it too safe? Every year we get more spaceships, medieval castles, houses, and modern architecture.

I wonder why TLG has not done mythology series a la the Monster Fighters series. Just get a few randomly thrown together creatures from mythology like the centaurs, medusa, cyclops, etc with some innovative little sets representing the creatures. Then the next wave they can do a bunch of demigods, winged creatues, or gods; on and on and on. The possibilities are quite limitless. Plus they do not have pay any royalty for these.

The only other exception is Ninjago. I feel completely compelled to get all the ninjas in all their stupid versions. I blame my impressionable years and Power Rangers up until that awful Ninja movie.

Wait, you did not like Power Ranger Ninja Storm ?

Wait, you did not like Power Ranger Ninja Storm ?

I didn't even see that.....ugh, you made me feel old with that post.

I meant this movie.

After that, the series went downhill since in Season 3 they started doing the totally lame Aquitar people....yeah mega lame. I think the following series Turbo, was the last I cared about as a kid. I had all the Zords up until that point, too. I later gave them to Goodwill as a young teen. Kinda wish I'd have kept them around....in good condition they'd be worth a fair amount these days.

The reason I said people would get offended is twofold. For starters people are idiots (look at Jabba's Palace). Secondly everyone now a days is stuck in the realm of political correctness and glorifying Rome just doesn't fall into that realm hah. Perhaps Greek could work better but I feel like if Lego did Rome they would have some people tearing at their throats. 

The reason I said people would get offended is twofold. For starters people are idiots (look at Jabba's Palace). Secondly everyone now a days is stuck in the realm of political correctness and glorifying Rome just doesn't fall into that realm hah. Perhaps Greek could work better but I feel like if Lego did Rome they would have some people tearing at their throats. 

You took it a bit far.  Most people nowadays would not know which kingdoms actually existed: Rome or Westeros, much less the gory details on how Rome conquered the world.

I'm still lost on how this potential theme could cause problems or even riots. I understand some people can be ignorant on such things but there really isn't a relation between this and the Jabba's Palace charade. We have so many Greek and Roman referances floating around everywhere to the point of barely noticing them. If anything, just the simple fact that Lego has essentially created a Julius Caesar minifigure among a slew of other related characters in the Collectible Minifigures line should be proof well enough of how strong a full blown theme potentially could be.

Heck, even the Harry Potter stories and Supernatural TV series make referances to various Greek/Roman mythos, and look at how received those were.

I'm still lost on how this potential theme could cause problems or even riots. I understand some people can be ignorant on such things but there really isn't a relation between this and the Jabba's Palace charade. We have so many Greek and Roman referances floating around everywhere to the point of barely noticing them. If anything, just the simple fact that Lego has essentially created a Julius Caesar minifigure among a slew of other related characters in the Collectible Minifigures line should be proof well enough of how strong a full blown theme potentially could be.

Heck, even the Harry Potter stories and Supernatural TV series make referances to various Greek/Roman mythos, and look at how received those were.

gravedigger!!!

I definetly think a Lego mythology/greek/roman theme would sell great! With all the demand for the romans, and creatures such as medusa and the cyclops, it seems a wise move for TLG to make. I dont see what could be wrong with it. :thumbsup:  

• 2 months later...

A Greek/Roman line would just about top my list...about the only other line that I'd pick over it would be one based on Game of Thrones.

I'd be a bit surprised to ever see this come to fruition but it'd be great.  There really would be so many things they could do with it.  I could make good use of some well constructed chariots.  Some elephant riders would be pretty cool.  It makes me think back to HBOs series  Rome and so many set ideas come to mind. 

My old man force feed me Clash of the Titans as a child so even at a young age I'd have gone for a Mythology theme. Again so much you could do with this one.

I get some of the setiment in terms of folks complaining about sets like these but I really wouldn't see it as any worse than the Harry Potter series.  I know several folks who don't like the series simply predicated on the use of 'magic'.  Frankly, that mindset makes my blood boil... 

LEGO tends to shy away from actual history but it is very possible they could do a theme loosely based on the time period.  For instance the classic Pirates line from the 90's.  It wasn't specifically based on any nation or historic chain of events.  It did have elements of the English, the French and toward the end the Spanish but it never specifically said it was them.  The theme simply captured the imagination of how people think of that time/genre.  And it did very well.

I think LEGO could and should do this. It doesn't have to be Rome/Sparta/Greek/Mythology specifically.  Even just general factions based upon the romanticized images of those cultures. On that day I would be in LEGO heaven and most likely broke :P.

I still think Greek theme has the most in it.  Lets see what could be done as sets.

1. Olympus.  Some architectural parts and several minifigures of gods/goddesses.

2. Olympic games.  A stadium etc.

3. Chariots race.

4. Troy gate and the horse.

5. Jason and the Argonauts.  Could be 1 or 2 sets.  Would include the ship and some Colchis setting (with the Fleece)

6. Archimedes.  Defending Syracuse.  Let's say another ship, some wall structure and a catapult.

7. Theseus and Minotaur.  The maze.

8. Hercules.  Anything, but let's say the battle with centaurs or king's palace.

9. Perseus (we already have Medusa minifigure, just add the devastated town)

10. Odysseus (same, already have Cyclops.  Add an island)

11. Prometheus chained to the rock

Those are just what comes to mind right away.

Rome?

1. Coliseum with gladiators and animals (could be associated with Spartacus or not).

2. Battle packs with romans and barbarians.

3. chariot? some city scene? emperor's palace?  some battle scene?

Not as much here as for me...  Could be some of what I listed for Greeks, of course.

When I was younger I always wanted Lego Vikings (think I even drew designs for my own sets) and I also wanted Romans. I loved history at school and still do now as I teach history. If Lego did do these sets they could be potentially great as educational tools.

Lego eventually did do a Vikings theme (unfortunately in my dark ages) but I don't know how well it performed in the market. There is so much potential in both the Greek and roman themes with or without mythology although I guess that's one of the appealing parts of these periods of history for kids.

With books and films like Perry Jackson (and even harry potter which draws heavily on classic mythology) I think there would be a pull for kids. Also, in the UK a program called horrible histories is very popular with children - making history appealing and fun. The market is there and it would be great to have a non IP line that kids were into.

Oh yeah, there's the Pharaohs Quest theme too - don't that did very well did it? But Imo aesthetically Lego got Egypt wrong somehow - it just didn't look exciting. I reckon with their current designers and style they could have done egyptians better. But the Egypt isn't exactly flavour of the month politically!

Oh yeah, there's the Pharaohs Quest theme too - don't that did very well did it? But Imo aesthetically Lego got Egypt wrong somehow - it just didn't look exciting. I reckon with their current designers and style they could have done egyptians better. But the Egypt isn't exactly flavour of the month politically!

Pharaoh's Quest did not do so well. I also think they could have done better when they were designing those sets.

This is the designer who has designed lots of the cmf is it not?

minifigsures, yes

Pharaoh's Quest did not do so well. I also think they could have done better when they were designing those sets.

Same about Atlantis as I recall?  I missed that one and the Vikings unfortunately.