41999 - 4x4 Crawler Exclusive Edition

Rich B

Guest eightbrick

Just a heads up for all of you who are interested: an exclusive pictorial review of the set is up over at Eurobricks! It appears the bumper plate production number rumor is true; the reviewer (Eurobricks member MaskedBuilder), got set number 01366. It sure has a lot of stickers on the back. Enjoy!

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=84293

• 2 weeks later...

I am almost as excited for this set as I was when I first saw the Haunted House pictures last year. This set is going to be a big hit in my opinion. I typically don't even like technic sets that much, but this set rocks!! Thanks to Brickextra for the pics!

Here's the link.

41999-TECHNIC-Model.png

This might be my first Technic purchase - looks pretty sweet.

Honestly, just what most people are doing to modify stock crawlers. XL motors, better gear ratios, dropping the differential, and fatter, grippier tires. Power Puller tires would be ideal. They only came on one Technic set years ago, and each set only came with two of them. Now the set sells for hundreds of dollars just because people want the tires. As for the L motors, the r/c motors from the short-lived Racers sets are more powerful, but Lego no longer makes them, either. Really if Lego was serious about entering the r/c market they should've engineered new motors and tires instead of pulling them from existing sets in which they were never meant for locomotion.

For $200 bucks a stock crawler isn't worth its weight in Lego.

D- I wonder if there isn't an issue with the strength of ABS in the thin widths of the technic bricks that make upsizing the motors difficult/impossible. I don't know a lot about the material properties of ABS (willy might), but I'm betting there are some physical limitations with the materials, or perhaps the play/looseness of the fittings that cause the set to break under higher torque conditions.

D- I wonder if there isn't an issue with the strength of ABS in the thin widths of the technic bricks that make upsizing the motors difficult/impossible. I don't know a lot about the material properties of ABS (willy might), but I'm betting there are some physical limitations with the materials, or perhaps the play/looseness of the fittings that cause the set to break under higher torque conditions.

With higher torque the truck would probably strip a gear or bust a turning buckle before any major damage occurred to the chassis, but you bring up a good point, and I don't know much about load thresholds on plastics either. So maybe Lego was being practical in the set's design. But there are all kinds of Technic R/C mocs out there that outperform the crawler. I still feel that if you want an R/C for $200, there are much more exciting products available, they just aren't made of Lego.

If I'm going to get an RC car/truck then I will buy one specifically desinged for that purpose.  RC Lego is for indoor playing only and not intended for serious competiton, racing or play. It's not intended to be abused as a purpose designed RC vehicle is. There's no way a Lego constructed RC car or truck is going to be as strong as Tamiya's, Losi's, Kyosho's, Associated's, PHP's, or a slew of others. These vehicles are made with steel, aluminum, carbon fiber, high impact ABS, nylon type components that can handle the stresses encountered. I can flip one of my Tamiya cars end over end and it survives to keep racing. Want to try that with this 4x4 crawler? I don't think so........

Making a Lego RC is more of a novelty than a serious attempt at trying to compete with those other brands I mentioned.

Do I think Lego RC is cool as hell? You bet I do!

Do I expect them to perform like a purpose built RC vehicle? Hell no! I know better.

If you want to hop up or mod these Technic sets then go for it, have fun but don't ever expect them to survive in serious competition. They will fail.

Enjoy them for what they are.

• Like 1

With higher torque the truck would probably strip a gear or bust a turning buckle before any major damage occurred to the chassis, but you bring up a good point, and I don't know much about load thresholds on plastics either. So maybe Lego was being practical in the set's design. But there are all kinds of Technic R/C mocs out there that outperform the crawler. I still feel that if you want an R/C for $200, there are much more exciting products available, they just aren't made of Lego.

D- Of course, you're right.  Like you, I have built R/C trucks before myself, including a few that had a little TOO much torque (I needed to figure out how to add weight to one if you can believe it).  To your point, if you will be getting into the R/C hobby, then start with an R/C truck kit.

The benefits to buying a Lego R/C is threefold: one, you really learn quickly how a motorized vehicle goes together (the Lego instructions are phenomenal and intuitive); two, you can use existing Technic stock to modify your vehicle for a lot less money; and three, if you breakdown the model, the pieces can go back to your personal Technic stock for reuse in other MOCs.

Maybe it's not fair to compare a Lego R/C to a "real" R/C. Maybe Lego shouldn't have priced it like one, then.

I don't really hate it all that much. It was a fun build, and a perfect starter vehicle for my young boys. Plus it gets a lot of attention and "what?!? That's Lego?!?" from grandparents. But I still sold it to buy parts for my Traxxas B)

For 41999, I love color, the body design, and the multiple Power Functions mechanics on this one.  For investment, I like the limited edition run.  Comparing it to the current Technic line-up, while the car is built on the 4x4 Crawler chassis, it looks and feels nothing like the 4x4 Crawler.  I don't think there's another model in the line-up like this one.