4842 - Hogwarts Castle

@rtisan

Hello everyone, I have the opportunity to grab Hogwarts 4842 for $175. Only thing is that the box is medium-heavy shelf wear/creases/damage. Still sealed though, which is most important. I own a Helms Deep in similar condition, and I think this is a good deal but just not sure on the level of shelf wear or creases. How much will this reduce the value? Thanks! EDIT: Keep in mind that I am in Canada, and $175 is only about $20-25 over the retail price.

• 1 year later...

Came upon a used 4842 for a good price and in great shape minus the instructuons. One book is in good condition, one is OK, and the third has seen better days and has a rolling crease throughout one of its corners. Is it worth the extra cash to get brand new instructions or will it really matter as long as they are included?

Came upon a used 4842 for a good price and in great shape minus the instructuons. One book is in good condition, one is OK, and the third has seen better days and has a rolling crease throughout one of its corners. Is it worth the extra cash to get brand new instructions or will it really matter as long as they are included?

For you - it doesn't matter, really. Most buyers will see it that way. The instructions can be downloaded, and as long as some paper version is available, the color issues with the online versions can be resolved if need be. You will loose some buyers, but most that care would buy a new set anyway. Short answer: don't care.

Box: almost the same here. Most buyers don't care, and would actually appreciate the cheaper shipping without box.

Edited by 10230

• 3 weeks later...

I know this is pretty much a gut call on my side, but I have a 100% complete w/minifigures ready to roll. I wouldn't mind selling and reinvesting elsewhere, but I wonder if Hogwarts is a special exception that still has room for growth. Keep in mind we are talking used here, so I notice that many sets settle after a few years minus a few percentage points.

Is this worth putting away for awhile longer?

I know this is pretty much a gut call on my side, but I have a 100% complete w/minifigures ready to roll. I wouldn't mind selling and reinvesting elsewhere, but I wonder if Hogwarts is a special exception that still has room for growth. Keep in mind we are talking used here, so I notice that many sets settle after a few years minus a few percentage points.

Is this worth putting away for awhile longer?

I would bet that any growth that 4842 sees would be beaten by what you invested in assuming you make a decent purchase.  You'll be able to sell that set around $250-275 depending on quality and if you have box and such.  That can go a long ways to buying other sets.

• Like 1

I just sold a used complete with box for $250, got it of CL for a hundo :) I'm considering buying a NIB one for $300. Current Ebay is not much more than that but amazon is near 500. 

I do think there is room for more growth on this. There are tons of new of kids discovering these books everyday. There are supposed to be more books coming with new characters but in the same universe. 

• 11 months later...
31 minutes ago, Lego_Yoda said:

Hi all.  Looking at getting one of Hogwarts castles from a collectors point of view.  Anyone have any opinions on which Hogwarts is the best from a build and display point of view?  I'm looking at 4842 but don't have any and its been 20 years since my last castle build.

I have all except for 5378 because I haven't found a cheap one yet.

4709 - It is basically just a set of walls but you can add the smaller sets to the base of it (almost any of the 4700 series)

4757 - This has a nice operational clock tower and is overall pleasing.

4842 - Really nice design and details

4867 - Just an add-on for other towers.

I also recommend the 4729 Dumbledore's Office to pair with a Hogwarts set as it looks good as a companion piece.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...

This set has suffered quite a bit with the new HP sets. The price for NIB and pre-owned has dropped significantly. 

We all talk about rehash, but essentially this is a different design and build compared to the higher priced StarWars set (UCS) or Creator series. So, with that in mind, what is the thought from the BPs that the trajectory of this set? Obviously, it is most likely has hit it ceiling, but I am wondering if people start selling off (which had happened) whether the NIB or pre-owned, is there incentive to pick up and there are still HP fans out there who are looking for older sets. Of course, the price  must be attractive enough to be sure of meats on the bone. Or money better spend elsewhere.

I'm interested to hear from those who have been around for a while that is there previous sets that could be used as case study.

Edited by Ogelwoc

Guest TabbyBoy
4 minutes ago, Ogelwoc said:

This set has suffered quite a bit with the new HP sets. The price for NIB and pre-owned has dropped significantly. 

We all talk about rehash, but essentially this is a different design and build compared to the higher priced StarWars set (UCS) or Creator series. So, with that in mind, what is the thought from the BPs that the trajectory of this set? Obviously, it is most likely has hit it ceiling, but I am wondering if people start selling off (which had happened) whether the NIB or pre-owned, is there incentive to pick up and there are still HP fans out there who are looking for older sets. Of course, the price  must be attractive enough to be sure of meats on the bone. Or money better spend elsewhere.

I'm interested to hear from those who have been around for a while that is there previous sets that could be use as case study.

That's the risk of holding a set for too long. Don't be too greedy.

• 1 year later...