487 - Space Cruiser

kerrmando

MISB Lego set 487. Super Rare. How much should I pay? Help needed!

Just was offered a fairly rare original 1978 Lego set. The Set is set number 487 "Space Cruiser" The set is in almost perfect condition, still sealed etc. Using the website www.worthpoint.com I could not find ANY sealed versions of this set that have been sold (on ebay) in the past ten years? Does ANYONE know if one of these sets has sold and if so for how much. None are currently listed on Bricklink, and as far as I could tell none have sold recently through there either. What do you guys think its market value could be, and how much should I pay for it? Any help finding this information would be great. Unsealed it is already worth around 100 bucks. ~ Kerrmando

I actually have that set and though it's rare to find one MISB, I don't think it was really a favorite of the space theme when new. It was always second fiddle to 497 among others, so I'm not sure that many people are out there that never got one but want it -- How much is this person asking for it? I wouldn't pay more than $100 really, just because I don't think there is much of a demand for that particular ship if you're just buying it to flip it. 497 would be another story...

It's so interesting though because its the year that modern minifigures were introduced and the first themed sets were introduced (space).... I think it could be worth a ton of money possibly, I just don't know how much to spend. The seller wants over 1k. I don't blame him but still... lot of dough to spend on something I can't find any sales records for (which could actually be a positive indicator for the price).

It's so interesting though because its the year that modern minifigures were introduced and the first themed sets were introduced (space).... I think it could be worth a ton of money possibly, I just don't know how much to spend. The seller wants over 1k. I don't blame him but still... lot of dough to spend on something I can't find any sales records for (which could actually be a positive indicator for the price).

1k??? - No way, do not do it.

I just don't even know if it is a gamble though, If none have sold in ten years, then there should definitely be someone willing to shell out some large bucks for this set someday. Or I could even keep it. I just want to know if its worth it..

That is true, this could be a gold mine in a way. I mean, how many can say they have a still sealed Lego set from 1978? Then again, even recent eBay sales for the iconic Galaxy Explorer in new condition have ended with less than $200. That $2,000 listing was probably a really good day with some serious collectors bidding on it.

I got a feeling maybe Ed could give a better opinion on this.

On one hand, I think it could have great potential. On the other, that's an awful lot to put on a 'maybe'.

Hang on, the last new one listed here says it sold for $94.

I'm going to have to say pass. $1,000 is over the top.

If you can typically say a new set is worth twice as much as a used set, and the used sets are going for $100, then the NISB would be $200, which sounds MUCH lower than what your seller is asking. Even getting a used set at $200 would still put you at half his offered price. This sounds to me like a purchase for a collection rather than a purchase for investing.

King, a lot of listings have been listed as "new" by the seller, they are actually just really good conditioned used ones with box..

You're more than likely right especially with a set this old. Let's assume if you were to buy the set right now for the price the guy wants it for, you maybe able to get as high as 4x-5x what a used one sells for. Maybe. I really don't have any more advice to offer at this point. If you believe it could be a good investment, then do what you feel is right and hope for the best. Who knows? Maybe it will be a diamond in the rough.

I'll just say for myself that even if I had that kind of money to burn, I wouldn't do it.

has this person tried to sell it before in the past with no buyers willing to pay his high asking price? or are you the first schmuck...errrrrr....potential buyer this guy has offered it too? if he has had it listed for sale in the past with no takers then obviously his asking price is too high. set up an ebay auction for it a little above his asking price and see what kind of interest you get on it. that way you can gauge the market. if someone actually bids on it then buy it from him and flip it. otherwise end the auction early after you get an idea of what it may be worth. use this info to get him to lower his asking price. this sounds kinda crazy, but without any sales for the past ten years i don't know how else you can get an accurate idea on what it is worth and what you should pay.

Here is the problem I see with sets this old. I was born in 79 and I had a brother who was born in 72. We had this particular set growing up as well as many more. I now have two kids under the age of 5 and I had thought about buying some of the OLD sets like this that we missed out on as a kid so that they could actually play with them. The thing about it is that people like me who would even be looking at these old sets would want to build the set and let their kids play with the set. There is no way I would spend 1k on a set like that for them to build.... especially when specialty parts were so few back then. Considering the used ones, even ones with the box and instructions are so cheap, I would gladly pick one of those up and let them build and play with those sets, but no way would I ever spend that kind of money on one. The only time I could see spending that kind of money on a set this old is if it was very special and had some story to go along with it... Like "This was the first space set lego ever produced" "This was a set to commemorate the anniversary of the moon landing" "This set had a forced EOL because it resembled a muslim mosque and sold out in a frenzy" You know... those kind of things...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-Lego-Space-Cruiser-Set-487-BRAND-NEW-SEALED-Vintage-Classic-Astronaut-/271184669862?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item3f23ddaca6 This is the link and the price they are asking for it. I turned down a much lower (friend) price, so if any of ya'll want it feel free ;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-Lego-Space-Cruiser-Set-487-BRAND-NEW-SEALED-Vintage-Classic-Astronaut-/271184669862?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item3f23ddaca6

This is the link and the price they are asking for it. I turned down a much lower (friend) price, so if any of ya'll want it feel free ;)

Well the box is in surprisingly good condition but I still can't see spending anywhere near that much for it though. I suppose if you wanted it for your own collection and you're very serious then okay maybe, but with that amount of dough put into it there just is no room for investment sake. You'd have to sit on the item for a crazy number of years before another serious buyer comes by to make it worthwhile.