Your thoughts on buying LOTR Sets

I could see a lot of people skipping it since the other characters are accessible through other means. That being said, it will only sell to completists but this set seems hard to miss since it is the cheapest of all the sets.

I think Weathertop will be the sleeper from the first LOTR wave. High retail price and crummy design kept buyers away. For the foreseeable future, this set is the only way to obtain the Nazgul / black riders. Unless a new set comes out with more Nazgul, then this set should see some good gains.

The only reason to buy Gandalf Arrives is to pair it with Bag End for a combo sale in the future. Bag End will be a winner.

I agree, Bag End will go up. Currently it is very hard to get a complete one on the secondary market. Everyone seems to remove the mini figures and sell just the building.

Little slow at work so decided to look up the origination of *** and k. K came from kilo prefix for multiple of thousands. Made popular by Internet and online to signify 1000. 1 grand or *** made popular in the underworld of gambling in 1900s because 1000 was large or big during that time. Gambling world still used the word grand very frequently but lately it has been dimes. Since this is pretty much gambling and we are on the Internet. Both would be acceptable. Hip hop songs using *** are tupac changes and jayz big pimpin that I can think of off the top of my head

My two cents: - Shelob Attacks has a better chance of appreciation because it is still the only set to my knowledge that has Samwise Gamgee. Gandalf arrives is a nice set but doesn't have enough unique parts. - Waiting for clearance with some of the sets may be acceptable, but probably not a good idea with Orc Forge. - Helm's Deep will likely end up being the crowning jewel, but Mines of Moria could be a sleeper for reasons noted on this forum in the past. -Bonus Hobbit Prediction: An Unexpected Gathering will be the most sought after 1st wave set in the secondary market.

Little slow at work so decided to look up the origination of *** and k. K came from kilo prefix for multiple of thousands. Made popular by Internet and online to signify 1000. 1 grand or *** made popular in the underworld of gambling in 1900s because 1000 was large or big during that time. Gambling world still used the word grand very frequently but lately it has been dimes. Since this is pretty much gambling and we are on the Internet. Both would be acceptable.

Hip hop songs using *** are tupac changes and jayz big pimpin that I can think of off the top of my head

Aa ahh the things we look up at work when we are bored...

So the monetary definition of a monkey is?? ;)

My two cents:

- Shelob Attacks has a better chance of appreciation because it is still the only set to my knowledge that has Samwise Gamgee. Gandalf arrives is a nice set but doesn't have enough unique parts.

- Waiting for clearance with some of the sets may be acceptable, but probably not a good idea with Orc Forge.

- Helm's Deep will likely end up being the crowning jewel, but Mines of Moria could be a sleeper for reasons noted on this forum in the past.

-Bonus Hobbit Prediction: An Unexpected Gathering will be the most sought after 1st wave set in the secondary market.

So should I spend my points on An Unexpected Gathering? Mean I can get

The "really well informed" staff at the lego shop said there would be no LOTR retirements this year. Plus I can get Helm's Deep cheap from Amazon, don't want to waste my points on sets I can get cheaper elsewhere. Bag does not seem tone discounted anywhere.

The "really well informed" staff at the lego shop said there would be no LOTR retirements this year.

Plus I can get Helm's Deep cheap from Amazon, don't want to waste my points on sets I can get cheaper elsewhere. Bag does not seem tone discounted anywhere.

From my experiences even the "really well informed" Lego store employees do not know what is going on when it comes to retirement dates. If they told you that none of the LOTR sets were retiring this year, when did they say they would be retiring? What about Attack on Weathertop? It looks to be going EOL as we speak if you ask me................

I'm thinking that "Gandalf Arrives" is the sleeper set for the first wave of LOTR...discuss.

It could be sort of. Gandulf is available in a few other sets so that's no big whoop; however, this minifigure of Frodo is unique to the set and "Frodo with cooking corner" polybag. Some of the stuff stuck in the back of Gandulf's wagon is not easily accessible (book, carrot, snake, envelope, backpack).

Still basically a set for completists in my opinion.

The First Generation LOTR sets are very average IMO. The Hobbit sets are not much better. All solid sets, but with the exception of The Unexpected Gathering, there are no "must have" sets. I'm looking forward to the next generation.

I always thought Helm's Deep to be way above average set in everything except for (in my opinion) minifig count...

And maybe I am biased But Goblin King is just plain awful towards the majesty of Helm's Deep on display...

I agree Unexpected Gathering is the best set of Tolkien universe in LEGO

Gandalf Arrives is a nice little set, as is The Riddles of the Ring. They are the only two I have built. But I really like Helms Deep. Unexpected gathering looks superb and you cannot get it whole on the secondary market. The rest are a bit bluh. But I suspect they all will rise in value.

As far as the Hobbit sets go, I would put Riddles for the ring as a close second behind Unexpected Gathering. It's a 10 dollar set that probably won't appreciate too greatly, but it's a nice set to build and is maybe the most iconic scene in the film. As a fan, I recommend opening and building one of these.

I think it's been mentioned before but other than Helm's Deep the rest of the wave 1 LOTR sets will have their investment value determined by subsequently released sets and whether or not they contain the same minifigs. If they don't = winner, if they do = not great, if they have same minifigs but different variants = average.