Your thoughts on buying LOTR Sets

So, I'm only missing Gandalf Arrives, Orc Forge and Uruk Hai Army to complete my LOTR first wave collection. I can get all of these at retail at this point. I am not really sure if I should wait for a sale on these since they are not the most important sets (Orc Forge I'll probably buy at retail since I don't see it being discounted) or just buy them now before they are EOL. What do you suggest? Thanks (Couldn't find an existing thread where this would be appropriate, but feel free to move it if there is one)

Orc Forge - never saw it get discounted and probably never will

Gandalf Arrives - I may have seen this get like a dollar off and that's it

Uruk-Hai Army - best I've seen that I can remember was around $5-$8 off once sometime before Christmas last year

First wave of LOTR sets are fading away from my stores. Uruk Hai Army, Battle at Helms Deep, and sorta Attack on Weathertop are the only ones I can find anymore. Uruk Hai Army could get another discount but I wouldn't hold my breath on it.

Are any of those retiring soon? Or just Helm's Deep? I am hopeful of getting Uruk Hai on clearance at some point...all of my local Walmarts generally have a bunch of them, seems like they will get cleared out when they refresh their aisles...

Both my Walmart & Target are the same with Urul-Hai Army so I am a little hopeful but somehow I feel like those will get bought up before any discount happens. With the next wave of LOTR sets coming out in a couple of months, I'd wager that stores will want to clear them out before then which I would like to think will lead to some kind of sale hopefully.

Are any of those retiring soon? Or just Helm's Deep? I am hopeful of getting Uruk Hai on clearance at some point...all of my local Walmarts generally have a bunch of them, seems like they will get cleared out when they refresh their aisles...

I expect ALL sets (with exception of orc forge) to retire by July.

My Lego store has pulled all LOTR sets from shelves. Same with the x-wing, TIE fighter, Unimog, 4x4 crawler, ssd, and a few other sets. They say they won't be getting anymore in stock. But you can still order them from LEGO Shop at Home. Is this common practice for Lego stores? I know they have limited space available, but it seems odd to pull fhese sets in the middle of April, when new sets won't arrive until summer. Anyway, the first wave of LOTR released last May, so I don't think they'll retire in July. It seems unlikely that TLG would retire an entire line after only 14 months. I think the same goes for monster fighters. They may become scarcer on store shelves this summer but I expect these sets to be available online until Christmas.

I expect ALL sets (with exception of orc forge) to retire by July.

Do you think the Orc Forge will be retired sooner for being a Target exclusive?

I think it wil lremain longer just for rumored Orthanc...

That would make sense.

Anyway, pretty much all Targets around me are completely sold out of Orc Forges, not sure if that means anything special or if they will just restock in a couple days. Just got mine from the Lego store and officially completed my LOTR collection!...

Until June.....

went to my lego store and they were packed but no LOTR at all. I asked, and the clerk told me they are done being shipped to stores but could still be ordered. It amazes me that there were 3 people working, the shelves were packed and there were zero sales. How do these stores compete with other retailers who offer their products at cheaper retails. Just don't get it. They would surely increase volume if they would just throw a few sales out there.

Whats to discuss, the figures in it are the most common in the theme, so they won't be super valuable later, the set itself is ok, not exactly an award winner but I have nothing against it. The one big problem with these small sets is that people don't go out of their way to put down big bucks for them later, they typically want the larger sets that were more iconic. Even if *** winds up doing well down the road, selling it for $30-40 is hardly a worthwhile sale for many of us. You pay $13 for the set then pay another $9 in fees and shipping when you sell it, I am not in this game to make $10-20 a pop selling sets, there's just other things I'd rather be doing.

I'm thinking that "Gandalf Arrives" is the sleeper set for the first wave of LOTR...discuss.

I could see a lot of people skipping it since the other characters are accessible through other means. That being said, it will only sell to completists but this set seems hard to miss since it is the cheapest of all the sets.

I could see a lot of people skipping it since the other characters are accessible through other means. That being said, it will only sell to completists but this set seems hard to miss since it is the cheapest of all the sets.

I think Weathertop will be the sleeper from the first LOTR wave. High retail price and crummy design kept buyers away. For the foreseeable future, this set is the only way to obtain the Nazgul / black riders. Unless a new set comes out with more Nazgul, then this set should see some good gains.

The only reason to buy Gandalf Arrives is to pair it with Bag End for a combo sale in the future. Bag End will be a winner.

I think Weathertop will be the sleeper from the first LOTR wave. High retail price and crummy design kept buyers away. For the foreseeable future, this set is the only way to obtain the Nazgul / black riders. Unless a new set comes out with more Nazgul, then this set should see some good gains.

The only reason to buy Gandalf Arrives is to pair it with Bag End for a combo sale in the future. Bag End will be a winner.

Mines of Moria > all LOTR sets investment wise....

Ok Helm's Deep will ultimately do better because it still is a castle set, but I guess mines might have the same ROI just less net return.

Money is money to me. I go to the post office anyways selling minifigures and polybags. Adding a 5-10 dollar profit selling those 10 dollar friends set is great. Boxes are easy to find since they are small. Drop them off with minifigures in that drop box and I'm out in less than 30 secs. Then finish off my hour lunch break. If I were only selling gandolfs or small sets then not worth it. But it's a easy ship and packaging and I'm going to the post office anyways. Started investing this year and already made 1g profit. You will be amazed how little things add up. Look at the dollar stores that seem to be in every city now.

Money is money to me. I go to the post office anyways selling minifigures and polybags. Adding a 5-10 dollar profit selling those 10 dollar friends set is great. Boxes are easy to find since they are small. Drop them off with minifigures in that drop box and I'm out in less than 30 secs. Then finish off my hour lunch break. If I were only selling gandolfs or small sets then not worth it. But it's a easy ship and packaging and I'm going to the post office anyways. Started investing this year and already made 1g profit. You will be amazed how little things add up. Look at the dollar stores that seem to be in every city now.

you made 1g 1 gram of profit? No idea what *** represents lol