79106 - Cavalry Builder Set

whiteboy02

The train has a ludacris price per piece.....IMO.

Yeah it is high at about $.14-.15 per piece, but what's important to remember is that 20 pieces are train track. Once you factor that in, it doesn't seem quite as ludacris IMO since train track isn't cheap (typically $2.50-3.50 per piece). So not including the 20 train track pieces, the remaining 679 pieces is only about $.05-.06 a piece which is really good ;)

Ahhhh I get it......that is why you are the train guy!

Haha, believe me when I first saw the price and piece count on that set I thought the same thing as you man. I was like what the heck?? Why so much? And then I realized the train track came with it, which makes the price tag justifiable.

Is it just me or is this set over priced? I mean look at the price per piece count in the link.

http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=79106-1

I don't think it is overpriced. You get a cannon, horse, and 4 minifigures for $12.99. Star Wars battle packs are sometimes that high too.

Examples:

75001 Republic Troopers vs. Sith Troopers

8014 Clone Walker Battle Pack

When you compare the newer battlepacks with the two original ones from 2008, they are somewhat overpriced.

Imperial Dropship $10/81 parts = $0.12 a piece

Rebel Scout Speeder $10/82 parts = $0.12 a piece

Compare those to the current two.

Clone Troopers vs Droidekas $12.99/124 parts = $0.10 a piece

Republic Troopers vs Sith Troopers $12.99/63 parts = $0.21 a piece

The Droidekas are brickbuilt so that hardly counts and the other is ridiculous really. I would have been fine if the price stayed the same but to have both cost go up and piece count go down is frustrating.

Considering that minifigs have a pretty typical value of about $3 each (cost of making your own at Lego store) I can hardly see an argument for calling this set overpriced. Its a bit like calling the Uruk Hai Army set from LOTR overpriced, it costs $30 and has 243 pieces, but it includes 6 minifigs, and that makes it a steal. There is much more to a set than simply the number of pieces, dino sets have horrible price per piece ratios but they are still great buys because the actual dinosaurs they come with.

Seems like a fair price to me. The focus is on minifigures, not parts. Price per piece ratio is an outdated mode to judge the value of most sets by my own pricing standards. If that was the case buying a baseplate would be the biggest rip off ever.

Well it is not totally outdated... but ok baseplate is not a SET isnt it? Hardly a comparison ...

The thing i keep saying is Every set in range of 30$ and on should have 1-3 extra minifigs... this is the thing I really blame LEGO for ...

Or maybe it is just me who likes to build armies lol

This problem is especially notable in Castle lines.... and even western to some extent.

Price per piece ratio is an outdated mode to judge the value of most sets by my own pricing standards. If that was the case buying a baseplate would be the biggest rip off ever.

Ha ha, yeah really. A lot of money just for one part!

Anyway, "Price per Piece" is simply a basic formula that does not always work for every set straight up. It's a general guideline when making a purchase. Nothing exact. I don't always follow the method to a 'T' everytime but it does help with my overall opinion towards purchase.

Definitely not overpriced. I would have paid 20 bucks a pop for this set. It's just full of awesomeness.

Okay, I like Western as much as the next guy but even I think that is a bit frivolous. It does have some good stuff like a horse, classic spring fired cannon, some guns and soldiers but no where near enough to warrant $20.

In Canada it is listed as $17.99 which is definitely overpriced IMO. $12.99 would be fair, but to pay 40% more just won`t cut it for me. Ideally I would like a few of this set, and it adds up fast. Though I love the theme, Canadian retail, like most of the time, is ridiculous, and I`ll be waiting for major sales come boxing day or EOL to pick any up. Debating on scooping a Constitution Train for $35 right now though, as the redemption of VIP points is very tempting. It`s a great train.

• 2 weeks later...

How about this, subtract out minifigs at $2.50 each and then compute dollars per ounce of plastic (minus .5 ounce per fig) So ... 79111 (2.16 lbs) would be ... (8*2.50) 2.62 dollars per ounce 79110 (2.95 lbs) would be ... (5*2.50) 1.29 dollars per ounce 79109 (2.22 lbs) would be ... (5*2.50) 1.12 dollars per ounce 79106 (.22 lbs) would be ... (5*2.50) .49 dollars per ounce Calvary set is the best deal of the bunch! (including horses as minifigs) But price per piece is still the best back of the envelope metric imo.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...