853373 - Kingdoms Chess

LEGO HULK

$1.9 per minifig is fantastic, plus you get a green baseplate, a $4.99 value, and 32 white and 32 black 4x4 plates, at least $5 value there and maybe another couple bucks of pieces from the rooks, so more like a $1.5 per minifig and that includes weapons and armor!

• 5 months later...

I feel like chess sets are solid, for not only are they a game, but they provide a ton of figures. The Kingdom's Chess Set has 32 figures (or 28 without the rooks) which ends up being about $1.5/figure (or $1.75 however you look at it). If nothing else, it's a great army builder. Also, over the holiday season this set was on backorder on LEGO Shop at Home and its value shot up over that period. It was consistently being sold for $80-$90 with a retail price of $50; perhaps that's a good indicator as to how it will do down the road.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Noticed this had disappeared off LEGO Shop at Home a few weeks ago. I had hoped to find a few left on the shelf but they had all gone. They told me it had been discontinued as the new Castle theme has replaced Kingdoms.

They also said they may be a new chess set replacing this one but I suspect that was pure speculation.

Lastly they suggested I try eBay to find! That made me laugh.

Forced to buy another 10230 instead. :)

Guest ph4tb0i

hmmm, they're still around in Canada so I'm wondering maybe I should go and exchange my VW camper for some of these...

SHhhhhhhhHHHHhhhhHhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was grabbing a couple sets a couple weeks ago, and guy at Braintree mall lego told me they weren't ordering anymore at his store, and only selling it online until they are gone.  Also mentioned the new castle sets, as reason for stopping the chess set---though not sure how they are related.  He might have just thought I looked dumb, and would buy all 4 with a story instead of the 2 I had---he was right!

Not sure if true--and don't care---I thought this was a good value, so bought the last 4 he had.

Big fan of chess and while this set is more simple looking than the one Ed mentioned he has in the other thread, I just picked up two to add to my slowly growing new collection. Regardless of potential EOL, I'm a fan and look forward to trying one out! Thanks!

Just looked at amazon.com. $72 plus shipping Plus vat plus custom duties not really worth it..

Can you buy from LEGO Shop at Home from counties other than your own.

Anyway thought you were banned from buying lego. Something to do with buying a "real" house ;)

• 2 months later...

Well I am confused. Popped into the lego store today and they had 6 on the shelf.

It supposedly went EOL in May. The store confirmed they were out of stock for months, and now it's back for The foreseeable future. Which is odd as its a defunct theme. It's available from LEGO Shop at Home as well.

Is it available in other markets?

I expect the UK eBay to drop on this set now that its back.

It supposedly went EOL in May. The store confirmed they were out of stock for months, and now it's back for The foreseeable future. Which is odd as its a defunct theme. It's available from S@H as well.

Who ever said this was EOL?

I probably sound like a broken record, but I can't stress this enough - until it's gone at Lego S@H, it's not EOL.  This set has been available on S@H for over a year, and still is right now.  Even the "retiring soon" label on S@H can be a bit dubious - see recent examples of Orc Forge, and Chima Speedorz sets that both had this designation subsequently removed.