6868 Hulk's Helicarrier Breakout. Split, Save or Sell whole?

akohns

I was at walmart tonight and picked up (5) 6868s for $32 including taxes. Debating if I should: a) hold until Christmas B) split and sell hulk, playset/jet and 3 other mini figures in 3 lots. c) sell as a hold set sealed. I usually sell used sets and new sets that I've bought on clearance to make an immediate profit. I have an ebay store that I sell frequently and already have small mailers for shipping separate but I've never split new sets. Thoughts?

I like to flip things faster rather than holding longer but these seems like a great price. Do you think these will be going EOL soon? They've only been out 1 year. I'm tempted to split up one set and keep the hulk for my self and save the other four. But I guess I'll probably save all 5 and maybe split later since these figures will probably increase in value as well since avengers 2 isn't going to be coming out until next year?

I would split 2 and save 3. Save the 3 with the best condition box. Make a quick flip and some profits and then reinvest in some more of that set if you can find more. There are so many sets having really good clearance deals and getting ready to go EOL so it's always good to have some cash on hand to jump on them when they pop up.

I love the money you get from splitting sets up, its very good, but I also HATE wading page after page of auctions for minifig-less sets. Honestly, they aren't that attractive and certain sets with highly valuable minifigs always get this treatment. All that to say, if you split it, you very likely could make more money, BUT, I will secretly loathe you for it ;) OK, seriously though, After the set is EOL, expect to fetch a pretty similar or better price for keeping the set whole, its just the trend I have seen. If want a quick buck, splitting them will earn you a few dollars but holding them to sell later will get the big score later.

I would split 2 and save 3. Save the 3 with the best condition box. Make a quick flip and some profits and then reinvest in some more of that set if you can find more. There are so many sets having really good clearance deals and getting ready to go EOL so it's always good to have some cash on hand to jump on them when they pop up.

All 5 of the boxes are in excellent shape. Cash flow isn't too much of a problem for me as I buy lots of used lego collections to rebuild old sets and my ebay store is always actively selling stuff. I don't buy many sets for long term investing.

So is this set starting to show up on Clearance at Walmart stores also? The Quinjets are on clearance everywhere now but this set wasn't at any of my stores.

I've been to 2 other walmarts in the last couple days and I didn't scan this set to see if it was on sale there. This Walmart I went to I don't usually make it to very often. Their Lego section was crammed into half an isle and they didn't have anything marked on sale. They only had 6865 & 6867 of the other avengers sets and neither of those sets were on sale at all.

I also noticed they didn't have a single Monter Fighter set nor a empty place where they would have been. They only had one LOTR set and they didn't have (or have any room) for any Lone Ranger sets (my regularly visited Walmart stocked LR sets last week).

Really trying to clean out inventory!

Speaking of which I went into another walmart tonight and found 5 more 6868 for $15. They didn't appear on clearance or anything. The yellow shelf label read $15. Shelved right in the middle of their selection of legos.