21006 - White House

tigereyes5811

I like this set. I feel it has good appreciation value once it retires. So iconic to America like Statue of Liberty Set. Your thoughts. Sleeper set???

This set is selling pretty well right now. If you check, it is in the top 50 most purchased LEGO sets in Amazon. As you said, the iconic value it has, not only in this country but the rest of the world, will help drive its value higher. Having said that, I am not sure this set is really a sleeper set, I would assume a lot of people own it, but it isn't talk about that much.

This set is selling pretty well right now. If you check, it is in the top 50 most purchased LEGO sets in Amazon. As you said, the iconic value it has, not only in this country but the rest of the world, will help drive its value higher. Having said that, I am not sure this set is really a sleeper set, I would assume a lot of people own it, but it isn't talk about that much.

is the white house really viewed as "iconic" in foreign countries? as an american citizen i mostly seem to hear about how negatively foreign countries view us regarding the way we choose to live, our foreign policies, and the fact that we feel the need to defend human rights all over the globe whether our help is asked for or not. i could see this set doing well domestically, but wouldn't have guessed that it would be a big hit overseas. interesting.

Guest ph4tb0i

Out of all the architectural sets I like this the most. Second would probably be the Korean Gate with the name I can't spell out.

is the white house really viewed as "iconic" in foreign countries? as an american citizen i mostly seem to hear about how negatively foreign countries view us regarding the way we choose to live, our foreign policies, and the fact that we feel the need to defend human rights all over the globe whether our help is asked for or not. i could see this set doing well domestically, but wouldn't have guessed that it would be a big hit overseas. interesting.

Well, regardless of what you hear in the media or from people you know from other countries or their governments, I would say that opinions about this country are not as homogeneus as they want you to believe. For example, I am originally from Venezuela and lived there for 20 years until I moved here 3 years ago, and despite what you hear from the nuts we have currently in our government about how evil the US is, at least half of the of the population of the country holds a positive view of the US. Heck, even those same government officials have been spotted here on shopping trips so I would say the don't dislike it as much as they say.

Anyway, you have to remember that the largest LEGO market in the world is the US, so even if the set does not do well abroad, we should still see great appreciation once it retires.

Guest ph4tb0i

I would probably rebuild it green, to commemorate the White House before us CANADIANS BURNED THE THING DOWN IN 1892 and gave it that white colour. =D Well, technically it was the British Loyalists of then "upper Canada" but meh. /troll

Of all the Architecture sets it's my favorite and I'm not American. If I was going to buy one the White House would be it. Very Iconic. Just a shame it's not a little bigger, but I could say that with most of the Architecture theme... actually I say that about most sets!

• 2 months later...

I like this set. I feel it has good appreciation value once it retires. So iconic to America like Statue of Liberty Set. Your thoughts. Sleeper set???

Yes for sure! Everyone loves the government!

Back ro reality I am surprised it has done this well. But not so sure in the aftermarket. How many people would pay top dollar or it over the 1000s of other models of it.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Any thoughts on when this might go EOL? Is the Brickpicker database correct saying this was released way back in 2010? This thing is like the Death Star of Architecture sets! 

It's a popular set.  Doesn't go on sale often anymore.  The last decent sale was when target included in w/in a board game one,

Could go at anytime honestly but wouldn't surprise me if it's availablity mimics Tower Bridge...

I personally don't think it's going anytime soon (at least this year).  I have a hunch that the Leaning Tower of Pisa, and UN Building are the next out, because i'm noticing that they are not being restocked in multiple stores when they dissappear.  Meanwhile the White House is found in almost every B&******, BAM, TRU, and Lego Store etc. 

The White House sells insanely well. I don't know when it's going to go (if) :), but I have no doubt this will be a winner when it goes - assuming they don't immediately replace it. This holiday season I specifically paid attention and watched area B&******'s stack about 100 of these, and they all sold without issue.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I personally don't think it's going anytime soon (at least this year).  I have a hunch that the Leaning Tower of Pisa, and UN Building are the next out, because i'm noticing that they are not being restocked in multiple stores when they dissappear.  Meanwhile the White House is found in almost every B&******, BAM, TRU, and Lego Store etc. 

Good call. 8 months ahead. I'll take that any day...