Which architecture sets finish the largest/nicest?

1derman

This question only really applies to those of us who open boxes and play once in a while. A lot of the architecture sets look really cool, but when I look at them close it looks like they could probably be finished in about 15 minutes.. which I don't like. Getting my moneys worth out of a lego set means first and foremost the completed set looks awesome, and second, it's gotta take me a while. When I see a set like Burj Khalifa, which looks really awesome, and then check it out and realize it's only got like 10 unique pieces I get really disappointed. On the other hand, the set I've been working on has been the tower bridge, which doesn't have that problem at all. It looks great, has a lot of cool detail, and has been taking me a really long time. My older brother's graduating and I've gotten him a few gifts, but would love to add one of the architecture sets to what I'm giving him. He and I grew up playing with Legos together. We had a Lego bin you could take a swim in, so I really look forward to an opportunity to put together something big and elaborate with him. Could you guys let me know which architecture sets are the most rewarding? When he was here, he saw Falling Water, which I bought for investment, but he really liked it, so one possibility is that I could just give him that.. but first I wanta hear from you guys. I know I was pretty impressed with the Robie House. Any experience with that? I guess i'd also like suggestions outside of architecture if they're really big elaborate sets, or really nice. It's a graduation gift, so it should be something adult cool and display wothy like the space shuttle or something like that. Thanks guys

My choices would be Robie House and Fallingwater too. These are both works by arguably the most famous architect of all time, Frank Lloyd Wright. I've actually taken a tour of Robie House - it's literally right next to the University of Chicago in Hyde Park where I worked for a spell, and it's such an amazing example of Wright's Prairie-style. The build is also quite extensive, and the final model is showpiece quality. The maroon red bricks are so striking. Fallingwater is neat too, and more iconic/recognizable than Robie, although not Wright's signature Praire-style (although it does have some Prairie-style influence). Fallingwater is also signifcantly less money, so if there's a budget to meet, FW is probably your best choice.

Thanks guys. I decided to go with falling water.. mainly because I already have one that was originally intended as an investment. I think the Robie House is awesome but it is a little too expensive for me, especially since this isn't the first time he's graduated college. I could possibly get him a smaller set, like under $30.. like I know the empire state building looks like it would be cool on a desk at work. Anyone have any recomendations on the cheaper ones?

I just finished assembling a used Fallingwater, and it's a really intricate build with lots of semi-uncommon pieces (tan plates/tiles and trans-clear 1x2 tiles). Each story of the house is individually removable: the entire house fits together like a puzzle. It also makes for a classy display piece that you don't have to hide from guests who aren't Lego fans.

I tend to lump them in to three categories: Small, Medium, and Large Small sets - The Empire State Building is my favorite (biased since this was the first one I got) Medium Sets - The Guggenheim is pretty cool looking Large Sets - Fallingwater and the Robie House are no brainer. The Ville Savoye is growing on me though Since I'm a dork - the other day I laid all of the sets in the theme out in a big line on the dining room table - and Fallingwater and the Robie House really do just blow the others out the water. My .02.