6865 - Captain America's Avenging Cycle

kerrmando

Hey guys, This set has been put on sale recently at Walmart and Target... down to around nine bucks. I'm of the opinion that this set might be the best nine bucks you can spend right now. We don't have another launch date for a set with Captain America in it that we know of before Christmas. He is possibly one of the most adored Super Heroes in the Avengers... I've purchased around 30 of these in the past couple weeks. Going to try to get a total of 100 of them. I think by Christmas time they will be an easy flip for 25+ dollars. Same goes for the Catwoman Chase...even though Batman is still around, Catwoman should do fairly well in a few months. It's an easy set to ship, and and easy set to sell multiples of in a short period of time. Good luck and start buying (Just some opinion garnered from eight years of Lego sales)

• Like 1

You're definitely on to something! This is what I wrote about in my EC article that was submitted. Here are some reasons why The Avengers is a good theme to invest in: 1. The Avengers made over 1.5 billion dollars at the box-office 2. Iron-Man 3 just did wonders 3. Thor Dark World is out in Novemeber 4. Captain America Winter Solider in 2014 5. Guardians of Galaxy out in 2014 6. The Avengers 2 out in 2015 with a rumor of Ant-Man What does all that mean? It means Lego has a plethora of opportunities to add more sets in the coming future. This leaves no shelf room for the current sets out right now. Assuming TLG releases a round of sets for each of those movies, these will be off the shelf long before The Avengers 2 is released and most likely will fetch a hefty penny around that time. Wal-Mart knows whats up, they can't afford to keep these on their shelves when the new and better is coming out. Currently this is $9.00 or you can buy the bundle at Wal-Mart.com or you can buy the Doc Ock Ambush and Cap Cycle bundle for $34.97. The Doc Ock already sells for $29.97. So the Cap cycle comes to 5 bucks. My Wal-Mart currently has about thirty of these on their shelves. I was thinking about getting a boat load myself. This is the very first set with Captain America in it and that alone could help drive the growth of this set.

I agree. At very worst, people seem to be eager to buy the Captain America minifig at close to 7 - 8 dollars, so it's a pretty safe investment unless Lego releases another Captain America minifig over the summer, but it is more likely to do so next year in anticipation of the Captain America movie in 2014.

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but Capt. and Thor seem to be the weakest of The Avengers. When Avengers 2 comes out, there will be a lot of min figs released, but not IronMans. Tony Stark is major character, not IronMan; I'm thinking load up on the IronMan figs. Just my .02 though.

How likely do they make a different looking Captain America when they release the new sets? Will Captain America wear a more 'traditional' suit like he wore in the first part of his movie (the leather jacket?) I don't see Thor or Iron Man figurines looking any different in subsequent sets, but if Captain America does, then that would surely help keep prices up.

The captain America set and Catwomen set are both awesome little sets in my opinion. It may take awhile for them to increase in value due to so many people hoarding these little, inexpensive sets away, but they will be winners eventually because people will always love avengers and Batman stuff.

I agree, from what I have seen in my area, the Captain Americas were pretty easily found at $9.00 in Walmart, but the Catwoman/Batman ones were only stocked in 1/10 walmarts I visited. Target has definitely had a lot of both in stock because they have yet to discount them. I found the Catwoman set more common on clearance right after Christmas. However, while I imagine that Capt America will be re-released at some point, what are the prospects on new Batman sets? Does anyone know when the license is over?

What do you guys think about potential on parting out the set and selling the mini-figures as is, along with the parts seperately?

I've sold a few Captain Americas this way, but the issue is that you will have trouble getting back what you paid just for the figure, and it's pretty tough to move the motorcyle/aliens since there are so many out there.

You might do well selling them to Asain buyers, but because of the clearance prices in the US, it will be tough to make any profit on them now if you part them out. Perhaps in a year, but then you might as well hold the set since you can always open it if after you find buyers :)

This is something I don't quite understand about Lego sets. You guys say it's a good investment because people want Captain America. But then you say there are 30 of them sitting on the shelf. If it's not selling now, why will it sell later? I'm kinda new to this, so I defer to the man with 8 years experience, and I'll peobably pick up a couple, too. But it still doesn't make much sense to me.

This is something I don't quite understand about Lego sets. You guys say it's a good investment because people want Captain America. But then you say there are 30 of them sitting on the shelf. If it's not selling now, why will it sell later? I'm kinda new to this, so I defer to the man with 8 years experience, and I'll peobably pick up a couple, too. But it still doesn't make much sense to me.

A general rule that is applicable in many things in life: People generally don't want something until they cannot have it (for retail).

The Capt America set is a very nice investment. I own quite a few since it goes on sale often at Walmart (mostly bundles). Additionally, this is the only set to get him in (for now). The latest Batman - Catwomen is a refresh of the 2006 one so I think Capt will have the better ROI of these two by far.

I have a few Capt America's for $9 at one Walmart and I found 20 Cat women chases for $5 at a Walmart. I already had a few that I picked up at a random close out store last summer for $7 along with 2 bat caves for $49 each. Excited to see this set take off. I already opened one for myself and its a great little set. My first superheroes set for myself.

Glad to get all your responses guys. I think the Catwoman set could do quite well as well. We saw how well the first rendition did... We will probably see more Batman minifigures in the future but purple bikes and Catwomen might be scarce ;) I'm a huge fan of small sets. I love the returns you can get on them, and how quick they retired compared to the large sets. If tons of people keep buying the large sets, then I'm going to put more money into the small sets. It's served me well before to be sitting on Super Heroes and City smalls when they retire! If Ed and Jeff are interested I can even write a little blog post I guess about smalls..

A general rule that is applicable in many things in life: People generally don't want something until they cannot have it (for retail).

I agree to this and new fans of Captain America are created everyday. The set is only available for a limited time.

I agree to this and new fans of Captain America are created everyday. The set is only available for a limited time.

Exactly, there will be Avenger and Batman fans for many years to come! These sets only have a shelf life for 1.5-2 years, making them limited. Yes a lot of people own them, and it may take awhile for them to increase in value, but they will slowly increase over time. Also as stated before, for some reason people always want something a lot more once it's no longer sitting on the store shelf. I remember last fall when my two closest Lego stores had plenty of Maersk Trains just sitting on the shelves rotting away. Then as soon as the holidays came they were gone, and a month later selling for $80 over retail on eBay. I've never understood this, but peoples want for a set seems to typically increase once it's EOL.

Glad to get all your responses guys. I think the Catwoman set could do quite well as well. We saw how well the first rendition did... We will probably see more Batman minifigures in the future but purple bikes and Catwomen might be scarce ;)

I'm a huge fan of small sets. I love the returns you can get on them, and how quick they retired compared to the large sets. If tons of people keep buying the large sets, then I'm going to put more money into the small sets. It's served me well before to be sitting on Super Heroes and City smalls when they retire!

If Ed and Jeff are interested I can even write a little blog post I guess about smalls..

I agree about the small sets. I like investing in them also and find solid returns.