Marvel vs. DC Universe

icephoenix181

Hi, What is you opinion between the two? Do you think both sides of the Superhero theme will gain similar values, or is one better than the other? Looking at past sets, it seems the Batman theme had better gains than the Spiderman theme. As a big comic fan that likes both companies yet for some reason is mainly subscribed to Marvel comics (lots of x-men) right now, I have to say the DC Lego sets just look better overall to me. I mean, Batman screams awesome to my tastes while the Marvel ones just don't have that much appeal. Maybe it is because Deadpool doesn't really have a Helicopter but Batman does indeed have all those vehicles. Even the Lex suit is actually like something Lex would use. Regardless, I like the DC sets better and was wondering if that is just me. People like me liking or not liking sets imo will have a long-term effect on the investment value too.

I think between the two may depend on how many movies of DC and Marvel will be out this year and the years to come. It may depend on the market superhero market. I myself began to buy Marvel and DC Lego sets: 6862-2: Superman Vs Power Armor Lex 6865-1: Captain America

This question you ask will only get opinions for answers, there is no way of knowing. That being said... I will give my opinion. Lol. :) I am with you that the DC sets are the winners here. Whether or not you love Batman, there is something undeniably cool about the Batman sets. Take the Batcave...who is going to choose a Daily Bugle over the Batcave??? As far as popularity, I think Marvel will have the edge. There are tons more Marvel movies coming out in the next couple years, and they have had a good track record lately. Plus there is a LEGO Avengers game coming out in the fall. I love both themes and collect them both, but down the line, I think the DC sets will be the real investment winners of the bunch.

This question you ask will only get opinions for answers, there is no way of knowing. That being said... I will give my opinion. Lol. :)

I am with you that the DC sets are the winners here. Whether or not you love Batman, there is something undeniably cool about the Batman sets. Take the Batcave...who is going to choose a Daily Bugle over the Batcave???

As far as popularity, I think Marvel will have the edge. There are tons more Marvel movies coming out in the next couple years, and they have had a good track record lately. Plus there is a LEGO Avengers game coming out in the fall.

I love both themes and collect them both, but down the line, I think the DC sets will be the real investment winners of the bunch.

Any advice about two or three MUST HAVE sets?

I really like the new Arkham Asylum. Of course, I am talking about opening it up displaying it :)

I would imagine it would go up also being that it is Lego exclusive, expensive to begin with so not everyone can just go out and get it (sometimes people have money problems) and is very well designed meaning it looks good on display (some sets look kiddish but this set albeit a playset looks good.) Infact, I think it was modeled after the Arkham Asylum in the game..Arkham Asylum for Xbox, Ps3 and PC. It has exclusive minifigs too: Harley as Doctor Quinzel, Joker in prison Garb, Penguin and Scarecrow. Even if they make more Batman sets later, I doubt Doctor Quinzel and Prison Joker will be reprinted. Penguin and Scarecrow are up for grabs though.

And according to this site, if you had one mint in box right now, you might could get $70 more than retail for it on ebay even though people could just order it from Lego Store. Or maybe that is because January data isn't listed yet and it wasn't widely available from Lego.com and Stores in December?

And according to this site, if you had one mint in box right now, you might could get $70 more than retail for it on ebay even though people could just order it from Lego Store. Or maybe that is because January data isn't listed yet and it wasn't widely available from Lego.com and Stores in December?

Yes, a lot of sets are going to show values right now that are a bit higher than what you could actually sell for today since they are currently based on the sales from December. It may take a month or two for the data to get back to normal levels.

I don't know that you can go absolutely 'wrong' with either, but I am leaning towards the Batman sets (for sets currently on the market) As for future sets...I'm intrigued by the upcoming Superman movie (more so than other superhero movies that are on the horizon) as this first 'reboot' will make or break the franchise. From the trailers, I would think this is going to be huge, but you never know. Even a so-so showing might not kindle enough interest in Superman for the Lego sets to fly off the shelves. I DO think Superman has a better chance for a successful reboot and connection with a new generation than the Lone Ranger. While I think it might be a cool movie + sequels, I don't know that it will resonate with today's youth. Wow...gotten off topic - apologies.

As arock68 said, we can only give opinions. At the moment I have to say I prefer DC, particularly the batman sets. I think the theme in general appeals to old and young audiences and there is a good variation of theme eras/minifigs in each set. They just look seriously cool and when you line different sets up side by side they just compliment eachother further. Both the new and second release sets are great, the re-hashed mini figures are all worth getting, most notably the new henchmen who have faction uniforms. Im onboard with veegs that if man of steel takes off, along with the possible justice league film in the far far future... the rest of the DC line will be solid. As for Marvel... Its great to see a new line of Marvel minifigs (alot of pleasant suprises), but some of the builds look bland to me. It feels like priority went to the release of new minifigs than the actual sets. I'd like to see more sets like the Daily Bugle Showdown really. Im actually starting to think Marvel could do with more supervillains and more serious themes (too many Lokis in Avengers sets for my liking and Spiderman doesn't need a motorcycle!), heres hoping anyway as I want Marvel to be just as good. With all that said, I'll still be collecting both.

Which side will do better is dependant on many variables.

1.) People that are diehard fans of either DC or Marvel comics. Some, like me, enjoy both.

2.) Good set designs and certain characters can sell the set. Even to people that don't read comics.

3.) Which ever 'side' gets the most attention from LEGO could ultimately be the winner.

4.) The movies. Good or bad, if people like them, they'll grab up those sets!

These are just a few generalized ideas I'm throwing out for consideration.

In all honesty, this is not like Highlander where "There can be only one!"

For myself, I would like to see a set with Green Lantern on the DC side of things.

And on Marvels side, perhaps Fantastic Four or Daredevil.

I would also like to see a full theme for X-Men, featuring a set with Bishop, Gambit, or Beast included.

Which side will do better is dependant on many variables.

1.) People that are diehard fans of either DC or Marvel comics. Some, like me, enjoy both.

2.) Good set designs and certain characters can sell the set. Even to people that don't read comics.

3.) Which ever 'side' gets the most attention from LEGO could ultimately be the winner.

4.) The movies. Good or bad, if people like them, they'll grab up those sets!

These are just a few generalized ideas I'm throwing out for consideration.

In all honesty, this is not like Highlander where "There can be only one!"

For myself, I would like to see a set with Green Lantern on the DC side of things.

And on Marvels side, perhaps Fantastic Four or Daredevil.

I would also like to see a full theme for X-Men, featuring a set with Bishop, Gambit, or Beast included.

Yeah I would like X-Men sets. I would think sets for that to be really simple.

Sentinel Attack

Xavier's School

1. 6857 Dynamic Duo Funhouse Escape - Great value. 5 mini figs, 2 exclusive to this set. This set is a LEGO and TRU exclusive and isn't always easy to find.

2. 6860 The Batcave - Another good value set, especially if you get it on sale or clearance. Amazon drops the price on this one pretty low rather often. Some Walmarts have it for $49 on clearance right now. Exclusive Bane and Bruce Wayne figures. You also get Robin and Poison Ivy.

3. 6864 The Batmobile and the Two-Face Chase - 5 mini figures, 2 vehicles and a building for $50. Exclusive Two-Face mini fig and Batmobile make this a certain winner.

4. 10937 Arkham Asylum Breakout - No explanation needed! :)

• 3 months later...

I prefer Marvel to DC because they have a better cast of superheroes on the whole, but I cast my vote for DC as far as lego investing goes b/c of one guy: batman. Batman has the best vehicles, villains and as well as locations (batcave, arkham, other locations in Gotham)

For me, it's all about the minifigures so I went with Marvel. I think the wider array of characters will allow for a larger audience later. Plus, with all the Marvel movies in the pipeline, there will be strong interest for a long time. Not that Batman is going anywhere, he's a classic, I'd just put my money on Marvel.

DC has Batman (in Lego) and that's about it which is a shame considering how many other characters there are in their universe. The Superman sets have barely scratched any kind of surface and I wonder if he will go anywhere. We had Wonder Woman sort of, and Green Lantern was only done as a Comic Con exclusive so not much there. Marvel has already had a multitude of characters done in Lego, plus the boxes are rather eye catching in my opinion. Spider-Man, Iron Man, Wolverine, Captain America, Venom, Dr Doom. Sheesh, from the sounds of things, Lego has been more diverse with Marvel than DC.

In the end, I think DC will do great because of the following behind 'the Bat' but Marvel has a larger selection of characters altogether and instantly wins me over. I do like Batman but getting a little burnt out with just him for the obligatory DC Lego. I think once Lego does more with DC Universe, the outlook will be better for that half of the line.

I've always felt that Marvel had the better variety of characters, but the good DC characters were better fleshed out and more interesting/believable. Very subjective, obviously. The DC Lego sets look more inspired to me, but I'm not sure what Im even basing that opinion on.

This will sway back and forth based on the movies coming out IMO. DC has Justice League in the pipeline, they will do more Batman down the line for sure, standalone Wonder Woman movie has been rumored forever, etc....so I think DC is very strong. BUT - you can say the same for Marvel. Tons of movies in the pipeline, and they have barely scratched the surface of things like the X-Men. When the next X-Men prequel is out...Cyclops, Jean Grey, Professor X (with wheelchair?), Beast, Nightcrawler, Colossus....so many awesome figs they can make still, and a million different uniform variations. So I guess I will always like both of them as investments. :-)

• 3 months later...