What's the lowest price on Helms Deep that will make you bite?

I was all set to buy another one of these at $89 at Walmart that I found via the Walmart app.  Went to the store and they had not one, but two left.  However, one of the boxes had clearly been opened and re-taped shut, so a definite no on that one.  The other one had a box that was in bad shape but still sealed.  I know others have said the box condition doesn't make much difference, but I decided to pass anyway.  I may regret it later, but I'd like the boxes I get to at least be in decent shape.

My rule for box condition is a little shelf wear or creasing is okay if purchasing it anywhere BUT Walmart. Can't remember the last time I was in a Walmart and didn't see a box that had clearly been ripped open for figs, usually I spot 2-3 at each store.

These discounts on brand new Lord of the Rings sets is happening a little too much to just be a mistake in the system. I wish those 'mistakes' would make their way over to my part of the country.

That happened to Kings Castle last month and all the castle theme sets are gone soon after at that location. Might be the same case with these discounts on LOTR.

I was all set to buy another one of these at $89 at Walmart that I found via the Walmart app.  Went to the store and they had not one, but two left.  However, one of the boxes had clearly been opened and re-taped shut, so a definite no on that one.  The other one had a box that was in bad shape but still sealed.  I know others have said the box condition doesn't make much difference, but I decided to pass anyway.  I may regret it later, but I'd like the boxes I get to at least be in decent shape.

Got duped today by the app with a falcon at 99. Drove 30 miles out of the way, got there and it was taped back up with packing tape. Walked around the toy section and same thing with a Jabbas Palace and LR Mine. Shook all 3 and the bags inside were open. Definitely done with Walmart for at least 4 months till next big clearance.

These discounts on brand new Lord of the Rings sets is happening a little too much to just be a mistake in the system. I wish those 'mistakes' would make their way over to my part of the country.

After seeing posts about these discounts this afternoon I hit my "go to" target not expecting to find anything.  After finding a pirate ship at 30% off, I ended up hitting 6 different targets on my usual route home, 4 of which had some type of large LOTR set on sale.  Ended up with 5 pirate ships and 3 black gates at 30%, and 2 Helm's deeps at 50% off.  3 of the 6 had new dedicated clearance sections set up in different places than they did during July's clearance.  They were an aisle or two away at least from any other toys aisles.  Most of the items in the newly setup areas had not clearance stickers and most had not tags on the shelf.  It makes no sense that they are clearing them out right after only a few months in the store.  Most walmarts around me are just now getting these sets in the first place.  I'm seeing more hulk breakouts (which most targets clearanced last month), Goblin Kings and Unexpected Gatherings in the areas where the ships and black gates were.

You can't find a HD anywhere in my town anymore except at TRU, where they are marked up to like 139.99. I haven't seen a Helms Deep in the wild outside of TRU in like 2 months.

It was the same for me before a week ago; I had not seen Battle at Helm's Deep since late February I think and it was one at Walmart in horrible condition and opened yet they still wanted full retail. It did look (and feel) complete but I honestly had no idea and certainly was not going to risk it for so much cost plus no discount at all. I'd rather pay in full for a set I know to be complete and sealed, thank you.

Anywho, Target got more of these in last time I was there so perhaps another chance for me yet hopefully. post-2081-0-08598000-1369897447.gif

Wow, Target stores still have clearance on Lego?  I thought it was done two weeks ago.

Me too.  Today was the first day I have set foot in a target in over two weeks.  I gave up when I started seeing entire aisles reset with the new star wars and city sets.  If I hadn't checked brickpicker today I wouldn't have had a clue. 

It was the same for me before a week ago; I had not seen Battle at Helm's Deep since late February I think and it was one at Walmart in horrible condition and opened yet they still wanted full retail. It did look (and feel) complete but I honestly had no idea and certainly was not going to risk it for so much cost plus no discount at all. I'd rather pay in full for a set I know to be complete and sealed, thank you.

Anywho, Target got more of these in last time I was there so perhaps another chance for me yet hopefully.

I posted a last month about almost purchasing a Helm's deep that was repackaged that I almost purchased.  It was the only one I had seen at any of my local targets before they restocked.  It's still on the shelf in front of a few unopened ones. Good Luck to whoever ends up with it. 

In keeping with the original theme of this topic, at what price would you take the risk of purchasing an opened helms deep from walmart or target? I honestly thought once or twice about going back and taking a shot on the repackaged one because it was the only discounted one I had seen.  I just couldn't pull the trigger at $100.

In keeping with the original theme of this topic, at what price would you take the risk of purchasing an opened helms deep from walmart or target? I honestly thought once or twice about going back and taking a shot on the repackaged one because it was the only discounted one I had seen.  I just couldn't pull the trigger at $100.

It would be less than $100 for me to even consider buying an opened Helm's Deep right off the bat. Perhaps if I knew how many sealed bags are in an unopened set, I would be a little less leary about it. I know from a glance I would browse through the bags and try to find all the characters as they are the parts I would typically expect to find missing.

Oh wait, I had an idea. Ah, here we go.

A Eurobricks review of Helm's Deep states there are 9 bags (with a tenth one for the instructions and stickers) and four instruction manuals in the set.

img_6788.jpg

img_6789.jpg

I suppose if I made sure everything was there even though the set was opened, I could maybe bite at $100 since that is $30 less than retail but I feel like somewhere closer to $90 would be my thing. I am a major penny pincher in case you didn't already know that. :derisive:

Found it for $80.00 at Target today.  They only had one, and it was not clearance.  It was a yellow tag in the aisle that just read $40.00 off.  If they had 10, I would have gotten all of them at that price.  I built one of these, and it's a great set.  I'd like to have 2 to build so that I can enclose the castle, but the one I got today is just to hold and sell. 

I posted a last month about almost purchasing a Helm's deep that was repackaged that I almost purchased.  It was the only one I had seen at any of my local targets before they restocked.  It's still on the shelf in front of a few unopened ones. Good Luck to whoever ends up with it. 

I've heard from our local LEGO rep that if you're buying the set to build, and pieces are missing, contact LEGO directly, and even if it was opened in store, they'll ship you the replacement parts to complete the build.  So I've never worried about an incomplete opened set, though I usually just exchange the rough one with a better one at a different store.

My Target has the same $85 Helm's Deep cut.