face

Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit - general discussion

One theme to rule them all.   154 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these two related themes holds a better value as an investment overall?

• Lord of the Rings
    • The Hobbit

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

603 posts in this topic

I'm new what's better Lord of the Rings or Hobbit sets as value??

Edited by TheOrcKing
Added a poll.

At this stage Lord of the Rings. There would need to be a big jump in the quality of the next Hobbit movies to catch it. Plus it has a lot of older people more interested in it IMO The Bag End set really is what is driving the Hobbit line IMO

Definitely LOTR as they are ending retirement sooner than the Hobbit. Plus I believe the LOTR to be more rich in content and entertainment value.

I believe the LOTR sets have been out longer than the Hobbit ones. Correct me if I am wrong.

I believe the LOTR sets have been out longer than the Hobbit ones. Correct me if I am wrong.

You are correct; the first wave of LotR sets were out in the middle of 2012 around May I think, while The Hobbit sets were released right before December.

I will have to start getting more LOTR because I have been getting a lot of Hobbit lately.

LOTR first wave will do better in the long run. Fully expect the pirate ship ambush to be one of the best performing ships we've seen to date after eol

3 LOTR sets will go at the end of June, 9474 & 9476 & 9470 I think. Get them while they are discounted. Some hobbit sets will probably go after Christmas, making way for the second wave based on the second movie.

3 LOTR sets will go at the end of June, 9474 & 9476 & 9470 I think. Get them while they are discounted.

Some hobbit sets will probably go after Christmas, making way for the second wave based on the second movie.

Thanks .

LOTR for sure.  in addition to being the ones that will retire sooner, here is what I wrote in a recent review for the 79000 Riddles for the Ring set:

For me the Lord of the Rings subtheme is stronger than the Hobbit as it is based on proven successful movies whereas the Hobbit is based on a new movie trilogy with only the first one released so far and it was not as widely seen as the LOTR films.  LOTR also has a far greater following amongst the book fans and general collector audience.  Some of this does spill over into the Hobbit, but the focus is greater on LOTR.  I myself collect all the LOTR Lego sets but only have a few Hobbit ones. http://www.brickpicker.com/reviews/review.cfm?id=883

1 person likes this

LOTR overall, but there a good picks from both lines. If you want to invest in the Hobbit line, check out Bag End or Barrel Escape (if on discount) but stay away from Goblin King Battle. The LOTR line doesn't look like it will have any huge "duds" as its worst looking set, Attack On the Weathertop, was retired after a release period less than a year, increasing rarity. As it is likely the rumors that Orc Forge, Shelob Attacks, and Helm's Deep are true, you should check out all three sets. Shelob Attacks particularly seems ignored, but offers good value and iconic characters so should double in value at least. Good Luck!

I literally had a Goblin King battle sealed sell at auction a couple days ago for 47 dollars......  I'm going to revote LOTR

This topic is getting so much attention I just went ahead and added a poll for everyone. (Anonymous and private, of course.)

i am only saying LOTR because 1.) The Hobbit movies renews interests in both Lego lines and 2) it has sets retired already (e.g. Weathertop and Helm's Deep is next).

Most of the Hobbit sets were a bit half-hearted.

what makes you type that? ug is a nice looking set with new elements. attack of the wargs is fine.  i do wish the barrel escape and goblin king sets were larger...

we'll prob get more action-themed sets (like weathertop and helm's deep) with sets released for the 2nd & 3rd hobbit films.

i do think that with the addition of LOTR's pirate ship, blakc gate, and the tower of orthanc, lego hobbit's designers might want kick it up a notch with set design and element counts.