Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit - general discussion

One theme to rule them all.  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these two related themes holds a better value as an investment overall?

• Lord of the Rings
    • The Hobbit

3 LOTR sets will go at the end of June, 9474 & 9476 & 9470 I think. Get them while they are discounted.

Some hobbit sets will probably go after Christmas, making way for the second wave based on the second movie.

Thanks .

LOTR for sure.  in addition to being the ones that will retire sooner, here is what I wrote in a recent review for the 79000 Riddles for the Ring set:

For me the Lord of the Rings subtheme is stronger than the Hobbit as it is based on proven successful movies whereas the Hobbit is based on a new movie trilogy with only the first one released so far and it was not as widely seen as the LOTR films.  LOTR also has a far greater following amongst the book fans and general collector audience.  Some of this does spill over into the Hobbit, but the focus is greater on LOTR.  I myself collect all the LOTR Lego sets but only have a few Hobbit ones. http://www.brickpicker.com/reviews/review.cfm?id=883

• Like 1

Guest eightbrick

LOTR overall, but there a good picks from both lines. If you want to invest in the Hobbit line, check out Bag End or Barrel Escape (if on discount) but stay away from Goblin King Battle. The LOTR line doesn't look like it will have any huge "duds" as its worst looking set, Attack On the Weathertop, was retired after a release period less than a year, increasing rarity. As it is likely the rumors that Orc Forge, Shelob Attacks, and Helm's Deep are true, you should check out all three sets. Shelob Attacks particularly seems ignored, but offers good value and iconic characters so should double in value at least. Good Luck!

Most of the Hobbit sets were a bit half-hearted.

what makes you type that? ug is a nice looking set with new elements. attack of the wargs is fine.  i do wish the barrel escape and goblin king sets were larger...

we'll prob get more action-themed sets (like weathertop and helm's deep) with sets released for the 2nd & 3rd hobbit films.

i do think that with the addition of LOTR's pirate ship, blakc gate, and the tower of orthanc, lego hobbit's designers might want kick it up a notch with set design and element counts.