Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit - general discussion

One theme to rule them all.  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these two related themes holds a better value as an investment overall?

• Lord of the Rings
    • The Hobbit

After watching Five Armies Sunday night, I had a LotR marathon watching them in chronological order starting with the hobbit and then watching LotR.

I have a new respect for the hobbit series as a whole. Individually I wasn't a huge fan but now I am and watching them and then going right into LotR was a great experience. There are so many things they see and talk about in LotR that they mentioned or did in Hobbit which was a treat. Continuity was very well done even though the movies were a decade apart.

My only beef, and I realized this watching them now, is with Smegal. The story goes the ring kept him alive unnaturally, ok cool. Bilbo, same deal. But when Bilbo loses the ring in 13 short months his age goes back to normal while smegal never ages even though he hasn't had the ring for 61 years. They could say that since smegal had the ring for 500(?) years his link was greater but meh, Bilbo shouldn't have aged after he lost the ring IMO.

My only beef, and I realized this watching them now, is with Smegal. The story goes the ring kept him alive unnaturally, ok cool. Bilbo, same deal. But when Bilbo loses the ring in 13 short months his age goes back to normal while smegal never ages even though he hasn't had the ring for 61 years. They could say that since smegal had the ring for 500(?) years his link was greater but meh, Bilbo shouldn't have aged after he lost the ring IMO.

We can argue that smegal was a bit... well, weak minded compared to Bilbo (see the beginning of the return of the king, he looks really dumb), so the ring could have still some effects on him even once he didn't possessed it anymore.

On the other side, once Bilbo gave his ring to gandalf, we can assume that his body and mind was able to be back to normal again, and so his face got back to normal (aged).

Last theory: eat fish only (no sausage), and it'll keep you young and healthy !

Edited by biniou
  • Like 1

I also think Bilbo's outfit was different in the hobbit when he found the ring, and when they flashback in LotR to the same scene. I didn't double check but something looked off.

And lastly, a question for the those who read the book recently. It contains a minor Five armies spoiler so it's in white text, highlight to read:

Gimli was summoned and mentioned he had family so we know dwarves still exist during LotR. Why were the dwarves not called to battle in LotR? Seems like they owned the elves and men after they helped during the assault on lonely mountain.

Edited by tonysbricks

I also think Bilbo's outfit was different in the hobbit when he found the ring, and when they flashback in LotR to the same scene. I didn't double check but something looked off.

And lastly, a question for the those who read the book recently. It contains a minor Five armies spoiler so it's in white text, highlight to read:

Gimli was summoned and mentioned he had family so we know dwarves still exist during LotR. Why were the dwarves not called to battle in LotR? Seems like they owned the elves and men after they helped during the assault on lonely mountain.

Tolkien nerd alert: That's an excellent question...we know that the kingdom of Moria had been destroyed.  I guess Dain and the Erebor folk were busy fighting their own battle according to this:

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Dwarves_of_Erebor

Here's a great blog where people ask questions like this and an expert replies:  http://middle-earth.xenite.org/

Regarding smeagol, maybe we don't actually know whether he looks aged or not because he had become a mutated lizard-looking thing.

I don't think the Hobbit films are anywhere close in quality to the LOTR ones.  I hate all the overdone action, the surfing on barrels and on lava.  Why is Legolas the star of the second half of Battle?  He's not even in the book!  And why is he a buffed up jerk when this takes place decades before LOTR?  In LOTR he's skinnier and likes to smile a lot.  I think Orlando Bloom's portrayal sucked in the hobbit films, he decided that a younger Legolas should be a grumpy tough guy and Jackson should have called him out on that.

I hated the CGI Dain, looked fake every time they showed him. 

Positives: I thought Evangeline Lilly did a great job.  I loved Thranduil, I'm a big fan of Lee Pace now and looking forward to seeing him in other stuff.   I want a Lego minifig Thranduil with his Elk!

One last complaint: At the end of Battle, they don't make it clear that Dain became king. 

After watching Five Armies Sunday night, I had a LotR marathon watching them in chronological order starting with the hobbit and then watching LotR.

I have a new respect for the hobbit series as a whole. Individually I wasn't a huge fan but now I am and watching them and then going right into LotR was a great experience. There are so many things they see and talk about in LotR that they mentioned or did in Hobbit which was a treat. Continuity was very well done even though the movies were a decade apart.

I have a few theories:

1) Biblo only used the rings a few times, while Gollum was in constant contact with it, so it didn't have as much hold over Bilbo.

2) Bilbo had a stronger will than Gollum, so he was able to break free of the ring's influence more completely than Gollum ever could.

3) Biblo went to Rivendell, perhaps the magic of the Elves helped to cleanse himself of the ring's power?

Also, it's been a little while since I read the books, but I don't think they ever mention Bilbo aging rapidly?  I always thought that this was something PJ added to the movie to show the power of the ring.

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw Battle of the 5 Armies and what a great ending to the hobbit series. Sad to see the final Tolkien LOTR/Hobbit book turned to movie.

When the trilogy extended gift pack gets released I'm gonna try to do the Hobbit/LOTR run.

A wonderful series and a sure to be timeless classic!

Lego wise, that Gandalf returns set paired with UG for Bilbo's home is sure to be one to hold onto! IMHO one of the best scenes in the LOTR.

• Like 1

Does anyone in the UK/Ireland know where to buy the latest Hobbit sets (apart from the Lego shop because Ireland doesn't have one). I can't find them in ARGOS, SMYTHS or TOYSRUS. Are these sets made in minute numbers or are stockist no touching them. If not being stocked, could these Hobbit sets be the best investment sets of the lot?

79012 is out of stock on LEGO EU but can be ordered up to 10 with a delivery date in march ( march 24)

I thinck it means they are producing it right now or soon.

It also means that they have the licence to produce in 2015 the hobbit theme

Damn...thats a long ways out and a little disheartening that this will be gone a little later than I had hoped...

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I was at a local hobby store yesterday and they had 1 each of:

LOTR 79008 Pirate Ship Ambush $80

LOTR 79008 9473 The Mines of Moria $70

LOTR 9472  Attack on Weathertop $50

I know there have been better clearance deals on there sets in the past. My question is will these set have a good return by Christmas? Or should I invest in another red 5 (from LEGO Shop at Home)? The sets seem to be trending up nicely. I would either sell the full sets or break them up and sell the minifigs and parts separately.

The only other LOTR set I have is a Orc forge that I picked up @ LEGO Shop at Home on clearance a few years back that never met my expectation for resale. but I could try and bundle it with the 3 sets above

If you're looking to sell by christmas, I say pass.  The Pirate Ship Ambush MAY hit 110 by then, but after fees, etc, you will break even.  I'd say the Mines of Moria and Weathertop are also flattening out.  However, long term you might find all 3 worth it.  I think you will be able to at least double your money in 3 years.  All of those sets are currently "flooded" in my opinion on amazon and ebay with sellers looking to get out, but a year from now you'll see the number of listings available drop to about 1/4 of where they are now, and that's when the price will begin to rise for new boxes.  It's just going to be a while.

But I agree with the poster above, better to throw your cash in a Red 5 or Ewok Village.  Long term those will probably beat out the three sets you list.  ALthough, if you are looking to build those sets, then buy them all and open them.  At that price you won't find them cheaper in the box.

Edited by fossilrock