Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit - general discussion

One theme to rule them all.  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these two related themes holds a better value as an investment overall?

• Lord of the Rings
    • The Hobbit

My opinion is Tower of Othanc, Helms deep, uri-kai army, attack on weather top, orc forge, and pirate ship ambush are my top choices. I also think The Tower of Orthanc is not going to be around as long as people think, and is more limited too. Reason being there is still a limit of (2) per order at Lego LEGO Shop at Home, and in store.

do they lift the limits if they have a long production run?

My opinion is Tower of Othanc, Helms deep, uri-kai army, attack on weather top, orc forge, and pirate ship ambush are my top choices. I also think The Tower of Orthanc is not going to be around as long as people think, and is more limited too. Reason being there is still a limit of (2) per order at Lego LEGO Shop at Home, and in store.

Is there anywhere where Orthanc costs less than $200 new?

No. There are not any discounts for any Lego exclusives anymore. Even Target.com, Walmart.com, etc are not allowed to sell Lego exclusives for less than retail. You may get lucky on ebay winning one for less than $200. Good luck.

I'd say helms Deep. It is already starting to lift in price. Mines of Moria is the last of the 1st wave to go, get some whilst you can. The rest of the first wave are still below RRP. Although 9471, 9472 & 9476 are beginning to lift as the flippers petter out. But you can still get them 20% off the original UK RRP on eBay UK.

Here don't seem to be much love for blackgate? I thought this set looks pretty cool, but one must buy as a pair. Has anyone thought of using four sets of blackgate to form a black castle of sort?

The problem with this set is:

Buy 2 mentality and get twice the UNNEEDED figs like Mouth, Aragorn, Gandalf etc.....

If the set would have Armored troll instead of Mouth, Gondor/Rohan soldier instead of Gandalf/Aragorn it woudl be a winner .... now ... not so much...

The problem with this set is:

Buy 2 mentality and get twice the UNNEEDED figs like Mouth, Aragorn, Gandalf etc.....

If the set would have Armored troll instead of Mouth, Gondor/Rohan soldier instead of Gandalf/Aragorn it woudl be a winner .... now ... not so much...

aren't these figs exclusive to this set? White gandalf, mouth of sauron, king Aragon. Even the eagles are sought after as one is not enough.

Yes... not to mention they ''wasted'' a mold for him who is not really so wanted by the LOTR fans....

Oh as a LOTR fan I wanted it and was glad to have it, regardless of it being cut from the film and the scene not making as much sense (where did the bodies go when the Mordor army poured forth?). A battle troll would have been far more appropriate considering they were in two Black Gate scenes throughout the trilogy. 

I think everyone though is waiting and hoping for a Sauron minifigure. A "Necromancer" minifigure just doesn't cut it. 

From LotR, I would have to say that Helm's Deep will be the winner so far, though the Pirate Ship will also do well and I still think MoM will surprise if the figures that are exclusive to that set stay that way.  I don't think it will make folks rich, but I think it's underrated at this point.  Orc Forge is also a winner, but it seems everybody has a ton of them tucked away.

For Hobbit, Bag End is the big winner so far, and it won't even be close because Goblin King, which was supposed to be the big set for wave 1 was terrible, and wave 2 isn't really much better as far as having a GREAT set.  Mirkwood Elf Army could do well just because it is the best army builder of wave 2.

Here don't seem to be much love for blackgate? I thought this set looks pretty cool, but one must buy as a pair. Has anyone thought of using four sets of blackgate to form a black castle of sort?

It's a good build idea, and you can get them cheap with no minifigs on eBay.

Well I don't know who is buying them but I sell the crap out of them at $16ish a piece. I guess there are Sauron fans out there.

I cant believe anyone would buy those for 16$ a piece.... 

I bought Gandalf the White with white LR horse for 14.99$ 

I mean you cant even army build them cos it looks ''weird'' let alone use the helmet for anything else.... I am shocked :D

I cant believe anyone would buy those for 16$ a piece.... 

I bought Gandalf the White with white LR horse for 14.99$ 

I mean you cant even army build them cos it looks ''weird'' let alone use the helmet for anything else.... I am shocked :D

I will say I have only sold 1 overseas - all those are domestic sales. It does not sell internationally like the other chars from that line.

Not to be a downer but you may have missed the boat on investing in LOTR, atleast the first series. I had been regularly buying discount LOTR/Hobbit sets all through summer and fall but once christmas shopping started on black friday the crazy 30-40% sales disappeared, in fact most of the first series has gone up in price, most are at or above retail. Certainly jump on any sets that you can find for a decent price but i wouldnt be too dependent on them.

The first wave LOTR sets are very nice investments. Even Gandalf arrives will double in price in a year.
The best winners will be HD, Orc forge, Uruk hai army, MOM and the Pirate ship ambush. All of these sets have either exclusive minifigs, are a great build or both.

Unexpected gathering is my favourite for Hobbit. Best set so far.

• Like 1

I think there may be great potential for pirate ship as the collectors are not just LOTR fans, but also ship fans. Just look at potc ships only one year after EOL.

Npt every type of ship appeals to ship lovers...

my friend collects LEGO ships and he absolutely HATES the new Movie (LEGO movie) ship.... he says its ugly 

He is also on 50:50 about the Pirate Ambush.... says it has no deck really and cannons etc...

now Black Pearl and Queen Anns and Admiral Flagship... now those are his jewels with Black Sea baraccuda.