Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit - general discussion

One theme to rule them all.  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these two related themes holds a better value as an investment overall?

• Lord of the Rings
    • The Hobbit

several EU amazon (de,it,fr) are selling again M.o.Moria at discounted price. seems to be last set of first wave to be sold under mrsp (at least from eu amazons)

could be last wave of the set before disappering ? or you guys believe they'll keep coming ?

also first wave of Hobbit line is selling again with some good discounts (bag end  34% under mrsp)

Guest TabbyBoy

The first edition of the Tower of Orthanc with the poster will be the hottest item I think.  I have 2 with poster and 1 without. I also have a bunch of Orc Forges, Weathertops and Helms Deeps.  I also have a few Gandalfs to add as sweeteners/freebies.  Hobbit sets don't float my boat I'm afraid.

The first edition of the Tower of Orthanc with the poster will be the hottest item I think.  I have 2 with poster and 1 without. I also have a bunch of Orc Forges, Weathertops and Helms Deeps.  I also have a few Gandalfs to add as sweeteners/freebies.  Hobbit sets don't float my boat I'm afraid.

Elf army should do well as a companion to Uruk Hai army

• 1 month later...

I didn't have anyyhing else to do today, so I drove out to a backwoods WalMart about an hour from me, because online, it said they had a few Gandalf Arrives for $9. I was going to pick one up just to add to my personal collection. When I got there I found a Weathertop for $40 and a Helms Deep for $89 in nearly mint boxes.

They had PSA for $99.97 and Helms Deep for $89. I couldn't believe my eyes. So, needless to say, I grabbed it and Weathertop.

No luck on the Gandalf Arrives. Lol

post-33222-0-66473400-1392573344_thumb.j

post-33222-0-53131000-1392573384_thumb.j

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

LOTR:

Tower of Orthanc will be a definitive winner. I'm 99% sure of it.

Pirate Amush will be ok because of awesome minifigs: ghosts soldiers of course but for someone that doesn't have any set and liked the movies, it provides the 3 team warriors heroes. I read here and there that the ship doesn't appear for very long but it's absolutely not a problem, because its appearance is SUPER AWESOME, one of the best moments in this trilogy IMHO.

The only issue are the (mince comment dit-on "voiles" en anglais ??? ah oui merci google...) sails because there's only one side that is printed. It's odd.

Shelob Attacks may be really fine too (nice big spider, gollum mini-fig...)

Not 100% sure for Helm's Deep, I can't explain why. This lego set lacks charism IMHO and I think it's a problem for such an expensive set. There's a lot of minifigs but I think some villagers trying to hide in an hidden place would have been nice, giving more playabilty.

Hobbit:

Unexpected Gathering because its appears in both trilogy, has some cool minifigs and the set is cute overall. Will be ok but it will take some long time to, I think.

Maybe Barrel escape (because it's exclusive to T'rU) and lake-town chase. That's all for this theme for now.

• Like 2

Not 100% sure for Helm's Deep, I can't explain why. This lego set lacks charism IMHO and I think it's a problem for such an expensive set. There's a lot of minifigs but I think some villagers trying to hide in an hidden place would have been nice, giving more playabilty.

The price is soaring in the States right now, up nearly 20% this month. Growth is slower elsewhere but this baby is already pulling in nice dollars for those who found it at discount. 

I think Unexpected Gathering 79003 is going to have one of the best growth rates.  Not saying it is the best set to get out of the whole batch, but I think it will perform extremely well given the fact that a lot of us got it at only $49.  I see no reason why this set wont triple that amount by the Christmas following it's retirement.

I know it was mentioned earlier, but I really want to see a Smaug!  They made a dragon for 70403 and it turned out well enough.  Smaug would just need to be a little bigger and scarier.  He would have massive resale value!  My fingers remain crossed for a Smaug!

• Like 1

I think Unexpected Gathering 79003 is going to have one of the best growth rates.  Not saying it is the best set to get out of the whole batch, but I think it will perform extremely well given the fact that a lot of us got it at only $49.  I see no reason why this set wont triple that amount by the Christmas following it's retirement.

I know it was mentioned earlier, but I really want to see a Smaug!  They made a dragon for 70403 and it turned out well enough.  Smaug would just need to be a little bigger and scarier.  He would have massive resale value!  My fingers remain crossed for a Smaug!

I just watched the second Hobbit movie a few nights ago for the first time and was thinking the same thing about Smaug!

LOTR:

Tower of Orthanc will be a definitive winner. I'm 99% sure of it.

Pirate Amush will be ok because of awesome minifigs: ghosts soldiers of course but for someone that doesn't have any set and liked the movies, it provides the 3 team warriors heroes. I read here and there that the ship doesn't appear for very long but it's absolutely not a problem, because its appearance is SUPER AWESOME, one of the best moments in this trilogy IMHO.

The only issue are the (mince comment dit-on "voiles" en anglais ??? ah oui merci google...) sails because there's only one side that is printed. It's odd.

Shelob Attacks may be really fine too (nice big spider, gollum mini-fig...)

Hobbit:

Unexpected Gathering because its appears in both trilogy, has some cool minifigs and the set is cute overall. Will be ok but it will take some long time to, I think.

Maybe Barrel escape (because it's exclusive to T'rU) and lake-town chase. That's all for this theme for now.

I agree. I think you missed the most important part of Shelob Attacks though; Only set with Sam. Right now he's selling almost immediately for $10-15, I saw 1 or 2 go for $20! Selling for the MRSP of the entire set is pretty impressive. I'm not saying he's THAT valuable, nor does he have the same fanbase as other characters, but (besides completing the entire Fellowship) I think he's a lot of people's second or third favorite, if you will. He's some loyal, cheerful guy who ends up being pretty bad@--. 

I still like the Black Gate set. The Mouth of Sauron is one of my favorite minifigs and it does sell for $10+ on ebay. I have been trying to find the fig for cheap but haven't had any luck.

Mouth of Sauron is exclusive to The Black Gate and he is a very popular minifigure which definitely will help this set.

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

There was all of a sudden a bunch of unexpected gatherings at my tru but full price 74.99, which ends up being $84 after tax. Probably not worth getting at this price?

Sent from my iPod touch using Brickpicker

I believe MSRP in Canada is $84.99 no? I don't think $10 off is all that great a deal, especially since you could -potentially- find it in store at a local Walmart at $70.00, which i have a feeling will go lower soonish judging by all the other items they have clearanced further :D

There was all of a sudden a bunch of unexpected gatherings at my tru but full price 74.99, which ends up being $84 after tax. Probably not worth getting at this price?

Absolutely not. Well I mean, to build one it's ok if you are in an hurry =) but to invest and buy many it's not because many of us had this set for 55/60$.

UG is still available from LEGO shop @ home, at least in the U.S.  There's a good chance they keep this one going through the end of the year, so I definitely wouldn't buy in at that price.  I know a lot of stores have clearanced this and other Hobbit/LOTR sets but there will likely be some good discounts online throughout the year.

Oops I think you're right, it is 84.99! Whoa so over $95 after tax! :s

I believe MSRP in Canada is $84.99 no? I don't think $10 off is all that great a deal, especially since you could -potentially- find it in store at a local Walmart at $70.00, which i have a feeling will go lower soonish judging by all the other items they have clearanced further :D

Sent from my iPod touch using Brickpicker