Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit - general discussion

One theme to rule them all.  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these two related themes holds a better value as an investment overall?

• Lord of the Rings
    • The Hobbit

I sent an angry email to eBay about and got some waffle about starting my auctions at higher prices and offering free postage. There's a thread on here about somewhere.

So I have upped my postage costs to compensate. Anyone who complains will get directed to eBay. Sorry for Australians as a 2kg package rises from

Gonna steer this back on track a little ...

I think LOTR is my most heavily invested theme.  With a name like Gondorian, I don't think it could have been any other way!

I bought approx 8 of each of the first wave of LOTR sets, except Helms Deep which I have about 15 of and Moria which I only have 5 of.  I bought most of the HD at

It probably costs more to hire someone to do something about it than they figure they lose in lost sales.

Plus you shut down 10 eBay accounts and 10 new ones will pop up.

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

This probably the truth. We're just going to have to deal with it.

So, I just got into collecting LEGO again this past Christmas. I love Middle earth and LEGO. Right now I'm only buying sets for myself, not buying any as investment sets yet. Picking up what I can afford as I get the cash and catch the sales.

Of course, HD is the gold pot. I would love that to be the centerpiece of my collection. Prices are hovering now around $140 - $180. Should I go ahead and grab that one while I can before it's too pricey or keep grabbing the current/retiring sets as they go on sale and wait on HD since it isn't getting any cheaper but the current sets are as they go on sale?

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

I would expect HD to continue to rise.

I started doing this last Fall and quickly learned that the prices of hard to find sets begin to rise quickly after retirement.

I would keep an eye out on eBay and bricklink to gauge the market and find one at the right price for you. Ultimately, the market dictates the price so keep that in mind.

There might be some seasonality with the prices (holidays, etc) so keep that on mind.

• Like 1

So, I just got into collecting LEGO again this past Christmas. I love Middle earth and LEGO. Right now I'm only buying sets for myself, not buying any as investment sets yet. Picking up what I can afford as I get the cash and catch the sales.

Of course, HD is the gold pot. I would love that to be the centerpiece of my collection. Prices are hovering now around $140 - $180. Should I go ahead and grab that one while I can before it's too pricey or keep grabbing the current/retiring sets as they go on sale and wait on HD since it isn't getting any cheaper but the current sets are as they go on sale?

I know you don't want to hear this, but your post is music to my ears.  I have 19 of these stashed in various parts of my house at the moment.  I agree with the other posters that you should get it now for a bit of a premium rather than wait any longer when supply/demand will start working against you.  There's some competition between sellers at the moment which is pulling the price down and also buyers are not as common since it was available in shops until quite recently.

• Like 2

Right. One thing I've considered is grabbing one of the eBay ones that come with no minifigs. Keeps the price down a bit and I mostly want it for the structure, not the figures anyway. I've seen these ones hovering closer to $120 sometimes a little less.

But thanks for the advice. I appreciate it!

To change the subject, between dol goldur battle and the black gate, which do you think is a better investment?

Hey guys I have the opportunity to get a new and sealed helms deep for $127.88 shipped and I was wondering if I should get it for that price? Lord of the rings is the newest Lego theme that I've gotten into and I already have a lot of the older/ bigger sets and I've played the game so I'm really starting to get into lord of the rings and I was trying to decide if I should pull the trigger lol and as a side note it would be for my personal collection not for flipping thanks

Hey guys I have the opportunity to get a new and sealed helms deep for $127.88 shipped and I was wondering if I should get it for that price? Lord of the rings is the newest Lego theme that I've gotten into and I already have a lot of the older/ bigger sets and I've played the game so I'm really starting to get into lord of the rings and I was trying to decide if I should pull the trigger lol and as a side note it would be for my personal collection not for flipping thanks

You will be hard pressed to did it any cheaper. If it is important for you to have I would buy now as the price will be only be going up on this beauty.

That's better than the original RRP for the set in the UK, so I'd go for it.  Not many people were finding them on discount in the US in the last third of 2013 either, from what I read on this forum.  They became very hard to find.

You will be hard pressed to did it any cheaper. If it is important for you to have I would buy now as the price will be only be going up on this beauty.

Yeah I was thinking that because it's basically 2 bucks off msrp with free shipping and no tax and the fact that it's retired really adds to it and I'm loving the king theodin figure haha, now I ll have to hunt down a uruk hai army to add to it

That's better than the original RRP for the set in the UK, so I'd go for it. Not many people were finding them on discount in the US in the last third of 2013 either, from what I read on this forum. They became very hard to find.

Other then when Amazon had a lightning deal for $90 on Black Friday or Cyber Monday can't remember which.

If your going to get save yourself the money and buy it now rather than later.