Ninjago 2014

TheOrcKing

Our fellow Tormentalous at TheBrickFan found the site called Kockamania (I am not making that up) reporting brand new sets for the series could be released in early December of this year! (Which in a way would be similiar to what Lego did last year for most of the 2013 sets by selling them on their Shop-at-Home webstore.) Here is the original news topic and loosely translated set names for the next wave of Ninjago.

Hover Hunter (70720)

Kai Fighter (70721)

OverBorg Attack (70722)

Thunder Raider (70723)

Ninja Copter (70724)

Nindroid MechDragon (70725)

Destructoid (70726)

8281621380_8a1a4254e1_o.jpg

Ninja-GO!!!!

B)

That's crazy, I thought Ninjago was all done. Guess I might need to pick up a few golden dragons and temples after all...

It has been a wierd ride with Ninjago. First supposedly a 'reliable' source said that Lego was officially discontinuing the theme in 2013 (The Brick Show even mentioned it), and then a few months after that someone at Lego had stated Ninjago was in fact returning for 2014. So in a way, Ninjago wasn't really retired but more like temporarily put aside for a break. It's not surprising considering how well the theme has performed and I'm guessing we'll get another couple of years for Ninjago.

Now I'm just wondering how the story will pan out this time. Let's see, a battle scarred Zane facing of what could be other Nin-droids in a setting that may very well be some years in the future. The mind doth wonder.... :scratchhead:

Honestly if they take it more in a cyborg-mechanical direction and depart the japanese fantasy-eqsue direction I'll be disappointed.

Unless by mechanical we mean steampunk.

LEGO Steampunk Ninjas make up my dreams.

Speaking of which, didn't I see somewhere that Master Builder Academy was doing a Steampunk set?

As for Ninjago, it does appear that this will be a Ninja-Robot fest for Ninjago Season 4.

A mech dragon! Man, I still need to find a lightning dragon somewhere. Anybody got one?

Well it is Ninjago afterall, there just has to be a dragon in there somewhere.

Oh, and I have the Lightning Dragon but he ain't going anywhere! :P

It's only been three years. For a Lego theme outside of Star Wars, that is unprecedented. I mean, how many themes can say they ran that long at all? Barely a handfull.

Speaking of which, didn't I see somewhere that Master Builder Academy was doing a Steampunk set? Yep. Even sadowsk1 brought that up that the next MBA will be steampunk esque.

• 2 weeks later...

Ninjago Rocks!!!!  Chima has bombed so hard they had to bring it back.  All of my kids friends love Ninjago and have no interest in Chima.  If you put the two right next to each other, 99.9% of the time, the kids will pick Ninjago. 

I think TLG realized its mistake in killing Ninjago too soon and is scrambling to bring it back before its too late. :money:

Ninjago Rocks!!!!  Chima has bombed so hard they had to bring it back.  All of my kids friends love Ninjago and have no interest in Chima.  If you put the two right next to each other, 99.9% of the time, the kids will pick Ninjago. 

I think TLG realized its mistake in killing Ninjago too soon and is scrambling to bring it back before its too late. :money:

I wouldn't say Chima has bombed yet.  Give the show a chance to hit - it starts in earnest at the end of this month.  You should have a better idea whether it has hit when kids go back to school.  Check the TV ratings for the new show to see if they maintain/grow from the original 1.5M viewers they had for the first two shows.  If you see a significant drop without a corresponding bounce later in the summer, you can officially blow up Chima.

I think Chima and Ninjago can coexist - they just built a Chima ride at Legoland Florida, so it isn't going anywhere for now.  The goal is to position Ninjago for a more mature, early teen audience (their original pre-teen market segment that has grown older), while Chima will be hitting the newer, younger pre-teen market hard.  I agree that TLG realizes they made a mistake when they first decided to shutter Ninjago.  Now, they're making amends but I don't think it's to the detriment of Chima.

It's a marketing strategy what Lego did with Ninjago. They finished up what is essentially the first part of the storyline to then take it away for a while so that when it does return, it will with fans from before wanting more from the lack there of as well as new potential fans. The time also allows Lego designers to come up with fresh ideas and not have a potential mistake of designing something already done prior.

This wasn't a mistake but a clever yet somewhat commonly used strategy of the marketplace.

• 4 weeks later...

Bare with me for a minute.  Maybe I am just imagining it, but I am almost sure that I read on here, as well as multiple other sites that Ninjago was gone for 2014, and to return in 2015?  The reason I say this is because apparently Ninjago is going to have a "Mechanical Dragon" released in 2014.  I read it on a rumor mill so it might mean nothing, but if so it actually sounds cool.

Also, I went into investing swearing I wouldn't get into Ninjago because I simply didn't like it.  The 2 Epic Dragon Battles that showed up today squash that idea of mine...

As I recall, there was talk of the theme retiring, but then a list came out with a bunch of sets slated to be released this Dec. That pretty much ended the talk of imminent retirement.

EDB was the first Lego set I ever sold. Its what got me into this investing world.

• 2 months later...