21105 - The Village & 21106 - The Nether

TheOrcKing

StarPod, I am brand new to Lego investing but I can tell you that Minecraft is an active, crazy sub-culture of gaming all its own (to which my family and I are proud, card-carrying cult members, we even have our own server) and on that basis I think these kits are going to be quite profitable at some point down the line.

• 4 weeks later...

I got a couple on sale but I caved and returned them.  I just don't understand these enough.  I have doubts about the future of this line for resale purposes in the short term.  I don't think Lego is going to make the same mistake twice and underestimate the popularity.

I got a couple on sale but I caved and returned them.  I just don't understand these enough.  I have doubts about the future of this line for resale purposes in the short term.  I don't think Lego is going to make the same mistake twice and underestimate the popularity.

Did you buy the two new ones, Sadowk1?  Or the original CUUSOO?

I never understood this until my son got the game on Xbox and I have played it a bit.  I now think they are pretty ingenious little microscale sets that a person probably shouldn't be without at least a couple down the road.  Minecraft, for as dumb as you may think it is, is extremely popular with kids that are of Lego age and AFOLS alike. I don't have any of the original yet, but plan on buying a couple during September to make them even cheaper with my VIP points and polybags. 

The allure of Minecraft is the ability to design and build anything you can imagine in the gamespace, from a house to a Starship Enterprise. I doubt many players would be satisfied with environments that looked like these sets. The two mediums definitely share similarities, but frankly Lego is well short of the mark set by Minecraft here. I'll pass.

I know some will disagree, but I think the original 21002 sets are great investments.  Look at how well they sell on eBay and Amazon - they're the top 2-3 sets sold every month on both sites!  It has been this way for the last 4-5 months.  People love this set, and I don't see this cooling any time soon.

I would grab a few of the original ones, and wait on the new ones.  I don't think there will be another run on the new sets like the first MC release last year (TLC has to have learned their lesson from the first), so I think they'll likely have plenty in hand when they're released to avoid the dreaded "OOS" a week after its release.  That said, you never know with this theme - everyone here knows its popularity.

Also, with Minecraft becoming an official Lego theme now, I have to believe the new sets will be around for at least 14 months, if not longer.

• Like 1

My only question on this is that video games seem to go in and out of fashion...quickly.  So you might be sitting on a bunch of minecraft sets and all the sudden people stop playing it and move on to something else.  Then you are left holding a bunch of sets that no one really wants.  I am starting to see less angry birds stuff, and my son wanted a new back pack.  Maybe Minecraft is different, I don't know a ton about it, but that would be my concern.

I think I would say for the most part that we should all wait and see.

Obviously right now, if you have discounts, these are easy quick flips. But it really depends on how long they are out. If they discontinue them before the game loses popularity, they will be some serious money in the bank. If not - they may peter out.

Thanks! In U.S. Is it possible to buy cuusoo sets only online or are they available in stores also?

It is considered an "Exclusive", so they are sold through Lego S@H and Lego Stores.  Some have seen them available at select ToysRUs stores, and they have been available on Amazon.  Target.com and Walmart.com sell it, although Target is listed $15 over MSRP, while Walmart is OOS.

My only question on this is that video games seem to go in and out of fashion...quickly.  So you might be sitting on a bunch of minecraft sets and all the sudden people stop playing it and move on to something else.  Then you are left holding a bunch of sets that no one really wants.  I am starting to see less angry birds stuff, and my son wanted a new back pack.  Maybe Minecraft is different, I don't know a ton about it, but that would be my concern.

I don't know of very many video games with as large of a following as Minecraft that just lost a fan base?

I thought Pokemon lost its popularity after my generation, but it turns out that it is still cranking right along.