21105 - The Village & 21106 - The Nether

TheOrcKing

Minecraft and Angry Birds are not comparable - Minecraft has a large, loyal, long-time fanbase to go with the new young crowd of kids discovering it now, where Angry Birds is a flash in the pan comet, like the video version of Beanie Babies.

I disagree.  I can't tell you how many children under the age of 7 that I have seen with Angry Birds costumes and t-shirts, not to mention balloons in parades in the past year.

I disagree.  I can't tell you how many children under the age of 7 that I have seen with Angry Birds costumes and t-shirts, not to mention balloons in parades in the past year.

I'm not sure how that's a disagreement. Angry Birds has been around for a few years - so were Beanie Babies.

I'm not sure how that's a disagreement. Angry Birds has been around for a few years - so were Beanie Babies.

I don't think that AB was ever a flash in the pan.  Their demographic, albeit may have unintentionally changed, is now the children, not the average iPhone user.   But there is still a large market for that product.  BBs not as much.

Sorry...didn't mean to turn this into an angry birds vs minecraft vs beanie babies vs Pokemon thread.  My point was that new games come along and the existing ones lose popularity.  Seems like Angry Birds is less popular now then it was 5 months ago...

Maybe I have totally missed the boat with Minecraft, but does it have a following like Harry Potter, LOTR, Star Wars?  Per Wikipedia (okay...that sights validity could be a thread of its own) but it says Minecraft came out towards the end of 2011.  So 2 years...Is WoW still as popular as it was in 2007?  Or are those people now playing SWTOR?  I seem to remember getting a trillion "Farmville" notices on Facebook but haven't seen any in a while.  I guess my point is that I don't know how popular Minecraft is or if it will quickly move out of favor and become an afterthough.  Seems like most here think it won't...and they seem to know more then me about it.  But I will probably just invest elsewhere. 

Speaking of WoW - I listed 4 WoW plushies over the weekend at high average prices and 3 have already sold. No, it's not quite as popular as it once was, but if you want a collectible market that will match staying power with some of the bigger boys, I'd say WoW is a good bet in the gaming community.

I don't know for sure what staying power Minecraft will have, either. My opinion is, it has more than Angry Birds. I could be wrong. 

(And it's not your fault what the thread turned into. Threads are organic beings and will do whatever they want. We have no control.  :twitch:  )

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone remember about how long it took for the last one to sell out?

EDIT: I was hoping they would go as fast at the 41999 and as much hype as the last set got...i figured these would be gone already.

Me too. I ordered one of each just to be prepared. Lol. I am disappointing they aren't gone.

If they do go, these could jump real quick though. I went to my lego store today and they didn't get any of them.

I went to my lego store today and they didn't get any of them.

That's good news.  I hope it's just no one has really heard about them...

Although I thought with Mind Storm V3 and the two Minecraft sets being released on the 1st we ran a risk of the website shutting down like during the 41999

I was hoping they would go as fast at the 41999 and as much hype as the last set got...i figured these would be gone already.

Lego probably prestocked the heck out of these two sets learning from the first one's experience but even then I would guess either will be sold out not too long from now....maybe.

All three of these sets are on sale on Amazon for $35 (includes shipping):

Original

The Nether

The Village

The question now is how quickly will they sell?  Here are the quantities in stock as of this post:

Original - 999+

The Nether - 868

The Village - 173

Take it for what it's worth...

Thanks for the heads up Quacs... I grabbed two of each... not in a rush or panic, I am sure there will be thousands upon thousands of these produced... just making sure I have the series on my shelf in pristine condition!  :)  When I say "on my shelf" I mean unopened! 

Thanks for the heads up Quacs... I grabbed two of each... not in a rush or panic, I am sure there will be thousands upon thousands of these produced... just making sure I have the series on my shelf in pristine condition!  :)  When I say "on my shelf" I mean unopened! 

Agreed, you may be able to flip these two right now on eBay for a decent price...$100-110+shipping.  For an all-in cost of $70, that's not too bad - between 25-30% ROI after fees.  I have a feeling that price may dip in 1-2 weeks, though.

I grabbed a pair from S@H (plus Swamp Creature) to get the VW Camper poly.