Super Heroes 2013

TheOrcKing

Superheroes of 2013  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these sets do you like personally? (Select all that apply.)

• Arctic Batman vs. Mr. Freeze: Aquaman on Ice
    • The Bat vs. Bane: Tumbler Chase
    • Batman: Arkham Asylum Breakout
    • Superman: Metropolis Showdown
    • Superman: Black Zero Escape
    • Superman: Battle of Smallville
    • Spider-Man: Spider-Cycle Chase
    • Spider-Man: Daily Bugle Showdown
    • Iron Man vs. The Mandarin: Ultimate Showdown
    • Iron Man: Extremis Sea Port Battle
    • Iron Man: Malibu Mansion Attack
  2. 2. Which of these sets will be good investments? (Select all the ones you believe will do well.)

• Arctic Batman vs. Mr. Freeze: Aquaman on Ice
    • The Bat vs. Bane: Tumbler Chase
    • Batman: Arkham Asylum Breakout
    • Superman: Metropolis Showdown
    • Superman: Black Zero Escape
    • Superman: Battle of Smallville
    • Spider-Man: Spider-Cycle Chase
    • Spider-Man: Daily Bugle Showdown
    • Iron Man vs. The Mandarin: Ultimate Showdown
    • Iron Man: Extremis Sea Port Battle
    • Iron Man: Malibu Mansion Attack
  3. 3. Which side has the better sets this year overall?

• DC
    • Marvel

Besides being yet another excuse for a thread poll, I would like to gauge public opinion on this year's offerings for the Super Heroes line personally and as a potential investment. The first two questions are multiple choice meaning you can select more than one option before placing your vote.

• Like 1

For me and for you investors the sure Pure Gold Winner is the Batman Arkham Asylum Breakout, I would pick up as many as you can in the next year and a half. Don't wait til the last few months before its retired in 2015. Just check the one that came out in 2006, on Ebay, That set is still bringing in the big bucks.The set cost $80 then and $90 at Toys R Us, So The New set is way better, and should be a easy $400-500 set or more after retired. 

• Like 1

For me and for you investors the sure Pure Gold Winner is the Batman Arkham Asylum Breakout, I would pick up as many as you can in the next year and a half. Don't wait til the last few months before its retired in 2015. Just check the one that came out in 2006, on Ebay, That set is still bringing in the big bucks.The set cost $80 then and $90 at Toys R Us, So The New set is way better, and should be a easy $400-500 set or more after retired. 

You say a year and a half: do you have a pretty good idea it is going to be retired at the end of next year?

Lego has the License for Marvel til 2015, so when the License expires so do the sets including Exclusives, just like last year with Harry Potter License expired in 2012 and so did the 10217 Exclusive, only exception is the Star Wars Exclusives, which Lego can make them as long as they want. Now lego can apply for an extension for the License. But either way I set like this you will easy make $200 or more profit. If you don't think this is a great money maker down the line well don't get any. I just can't think why anybody on this site would even think that this isn't  going to be pure gold. I got 6 of them now and i am shooting for about 40 of them, don't let it get by you like the 10212 Shuttle, Black Pearl, Queen Revenge, Potter castle and so many other ones. And sure that sale last week for $120 on Amazon was great, thats how I got my six, but if we wait for sales like that again, well who know's when that will happen, and will you be on the computer at that time, as we all know all sale like that does not last but a few minutes.

• Like 2

Akrham Asylum is the no brainer. As emazers said, grab this one.

The tumbler set won't match the last. The Superman sets will all depend on how the movie is perceived by the public.

As much as I am an Iron Man fan, the sets are fodder this time. The sets and movie don't line up.

The Spidey sets will do well due to the minifigs in it, but I think the sleeper will be the Arctic Batman set.
Batman Variation? Mr Freeze (who is missing from his cell in the Arkham set)? Aquaman (hahah I never thought anyone liked him though)? Low price?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice pick!

I think the Iron Man 3 Extremis sea port battle and Arctic Batman could give Arkham Asylum a run for its money!

As of now, I wouldn't put Arkham Asylum in my top 10 Superheroes list. but it would be close. a great pick no doubt.

My top picks would be:

IM3 Extremis Sea port Battle

Arctic Batman

Wolverine Chopper Showdown

Superman vs Lex Powersuit

Captain America Avenging Cycle

Batman Catwoman chase

Spiderman Venom Spidercycle

Spiderman Daily Bugle

Avengers Loki's Cosmic cube escape

Dynamic Duo funhouse escape

the keyword here is Justice League minifigures. If Arkham Asylum had another Justice League fig we were missing it would be hot times infinity.

for marvel the keyword is minifigure diversity and value for sets.

minifigures seem to be what really drove the prices of the early Batman sets up when I sold my stock years ago. It wasn't until my tumblers were long retired (over 3 years) before they started gaining value for the set itself. For a year or 2, folks just wanted the tumblers figures.

The old Arkham Asylum had a great selection of old minifigures that were commanding up to $50 each. This new Arkham is more of a visual appealing set but then again, its just another Haunted mansion which we have 3 of right now if you want to include vampyre castle.

Arctic Batman is an amazing bargain and  pound for pound the best all around set since it has 3 figs that will likely not show up anywhere else. and the vehicle is pure value.

for space and time saving,

Batwing and the new tumbler is nice because they fit into those free priority mailing box easily.

and of course all battle pack size sets, since they can ship first class!

• 5 months later...

Lego has the License for Marvel til 2015, so when the License expires so do the sets including Exclusives, just like last year with Harry Potter License expired in 2012 and so did the 10217 Exclusive, only exception is the Star Wars Exclusives, which Lego can make them as long as they want. Now lego can apply for an extension for the License. But either way I set like this you will easy make $200 or more profit. If you don't think this is a great money maker down the line well don't get any. I just can't think why anybody on this site would even think that this isn't  going to be pure gold. I got 6 of them now and i am shooting for about 40 of them, don't let it get by you like the 10212 Shuttle, Black Pearl, Queen Revenge, Potter castle and so many other ones. And sure that sale last week for $120 on Amazon was great, thats how I got my six, but if we wait for sales like that again, well who know's when that will happen, and will you be on the computer at that time, as we all know all sale like that does not last but a few minutes.

Maybe I am wrong but Arkham Asylum is not under Marvel license or did u mean DC license? Is there any marvel exclusive out there which I am missing? I have zero AA so far :shifty:

• Like 1

I think the guys in China and Hong Kong are going to be the winners on this one. Ebay is flooded with these minifigure fakes and its driving the prices way down.

It`s a real shame. Such great authentic items, and people are willing to settle for less, or even still, don`t know they`ve been tricked. 

In all honesty though I cannot blame them though considering how expensive some minifigs are. 

Good point. I suppose that would also be part of the reason why Mega Blocks, KRE-O, etc are still in business. And you know, the fakes don`t look terrible either. Makes sense why people would want to settle like you said, given the price difference. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to get some thoughts on some of the Marvel sets even though I like the DC sets better.

Both the Spider Cycle Chase 76004 and the Daily Bugle Showdown 76005 have exclusive minifigs in them, but how popular is the Ultimate Spiderman franchise?  Does that detract from them a little?  I know some people aren't a fan of the Green Goblin, in the new sets, that is based off the show.

• 4 weeks later...

As a parent I can see why people do it. My 6 year old wants an Iron Patriot, but there is no way I am opening up such an expensive minifigure for him to play with. 

You look on ebay and the knock offs are probably cheap and if it gets trashed it won't matter as much. 

So just to clarify, you'd spend thousands upon thousands on Lego investing in an attempt to increase your finances but you wouldn't give your son an Iron Patriot from a cheap set? Sheesh

No love for the Battle of Smallville? I personally think those minifigs and their armor are badass, and could easily be a hit.

Battle of Smallville has great MOS minis, but I think the rest of the set is one of the worst builds out there.  It is basically a big grey lump that they call a spaceship, and a jeep that looks like it belongs in a DUPLO set.  Lol.  I think that is going to hinder its growth quite a bit.  That set just has no "woah!" factor.  It is basically for the completist Superman fan that must have Faora, Colonel Hardy and Tor-An.