Retiring Soon - open speculation

10 hours ago, Val-E said:

Continuing the discussion on retiring exclusives, this year we are likely getting between 7 and 9 new exclusives again.

Exclusives still on the market right now with their release date and my star selection based on possible retirement in 2017.

Sep 2015: ToA: Sold out US. ***** Replaced by new Movie exclusive, poor seller.

Feb 2014: Simpsons House: ***** Licence over?

Mar 2015: Kwik E Mart. ***** Licence over?

Mar 2015: SHIELD **** Poor seller?

Jan 2015: Slave 1 **** new UCS sets this year

April 2015: Tie **** Poor seller?

Sep 2011: VW T1 **** Has to happen sometime, right?

Oct 2010: Tower Bridge. **** see above

Oct 2015: Winter Toy Shop ****

Aug 2014: Mini ***

Mar 2013: Palace Cinema ***

Jan 2014: Parisian Restaurant **

Jan 2016: GBHQ ** Licence over?

Mar 2016: Batcave **

Jun 2016: Minecraft Village ** replacement Mountain

Jun 2015: Ferris Wheel **

Aug 2015: Ferrari F40 **

May 2016: Assault on Hoth **

Big Ben, Brick Bank, Detective Office, Assembly Square, VW Beetle, Holiday Train all 1 star.

Surprised you only rate Palace Cinema as a 3 star, would be surprised if it doesn't go at the end of the year, they'll retire one of the modulars and I can't see any of the others going.

I can see the Batcave jumping the queue to retire, but hanging round for ages after getting a retiring soon tag.

11 hours ago, Val-E said:

Mar 2013: Palace Cinema ***

Jan 2014: Parisian Restaurant **

Jan 2016: GBHQ ** Licence over?

Mar 2016: Batcave **

Jun 2016: Minecraft Village ** replacement Mountain

Jun 2015: Ferris Wheel **

Aug 2015: Ferrari F40 **

May 2016: Assault on Hoth **

Big Ben, Brick Bank, Detective Office, Assembly Square, VW Beetle, Holiday Train all 1 star.

I agree with most of your tips, but:

Palace Cinema - cannot imagine to keep it. We have now 5 modulars, if they keep all, in January are 6 modulars together, 1 of them very expensive. If there is too much other, cheaper modulars, it could have bad influence to demand on Assembly Square. They MUST retire something. The only question is, whether they change the sequence - it has some logic when they retired TH (most expensive modular and maybe bad seller), but there is no logic to retire PR before PC, maybe DO, which is not so interesting - but it would be 2 years jump in sequence. I would put 5 stars on retirement of PC, but since there are some surprices in modular logic, I would give 4 stars.

Parisian Restaurant - the only situation, when they would retire it, is that they will decide to retire 2 modulars together (because of cannibalism effect) - then Restaurant is a candidate.

There is almost a zero chance to retire AoH - although epic fail, it is not so long in shelves. If it is a poor seller, why they havent discounted it yet?

Also I cannot imagine to retire Assembly Square - after 1 year? Even it is a jubilee set, it is no logic to design and produce such set just for 1 year.

NO CHANCE to retire Big Ben - great set, the last landmark, I cannot imagine to retire it and keep an old TB, or retire both and have no landmark.

Also no chance to retire VW Beatle - great set, too short life - if they retire this, they should retire or cars. No way.

Yes, 1 star = very low chance of retirement. I just wanted to list all the sets to show how long the list is these days.

PC could go this year but PS is an indicator that it is not necessarily that way. PC got a new box and is only just 4 years old. On the other hand, it is the lowest priced modular and has been rumoured to retire for a while. I just feel there are other sets that are more certain to go this year, like the Simpsons and ToA.

1 minute ago, Val-E said:

Yes, 1 star = very low chance of retirement. I just wanted to list all the sets to show how long the list is these days.

PC could go this year but PS is an indicator that it is not necessarily that way. PC got a new box and is only just 4 years old. On the other hand, it is the lowest priced modular and has been rumoured to retire for a while. I just feel there are other sets that are more certain to go this year, like the Simpsons and ToA.

But that's only 3 more likely, there's going to be say 9 exclusive retirements.

Sticking neck on the line, I'd go for 

TOA

Simpsons House

KwikE Mart

Shield Helicarrier

Slave 1

Palace Cinema

Winter Toy Shop

Batcave

Ferris Wheel

With the Ferrari F40 as a bolter, I think the Mini will do a VW Camper van and never die, two icon vehicles, whereas I think they did a poor job with the Ferrari and it could get dropped first.

10 minutes ago, Val-E said:

The Ferris Wheel is probably safe for another year seeing as it is mentioned specifically in the Carousel press release.

Mixer and Ferris wheel coexisted for a year and a half.  Wouldn’t be difficult to expect the same to be true of the Ferris wheel and a carousal. 

10244: 03 Jun 14 - 25 Nov 16    
10247: 01 Jun 15 - now    

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, feed said:

Mixer and Ferris wheel coexisted for a year and a half.  Wouldn’t be difficult to expect the same to be true of the Ferris wheel and a carousal. 

10244: 03 Jun 14 - 25 Nov 16    
10247: 01 Jun 15 - now    

Totally agree. Let´s hope the same applies to Tower Bridge v Big Ben and it leaves us this year too.

1 hour ago, Val-E said:

Stumbled across this really interesting video about design process, where they talk about remakes and how long it takes to design a product.

The guy who filmed it seems to be a complete jerk. I mean how can you NOT hold your hands still for one second over the course of 20 minutes? (is that ambiguous? wasn't meant to be)

Edited by Frank Brickowski

21 minutes ago, Frank Brickowski said:

The guy who filmed it seems to be a complete jerk. I mean how can you NOT hold your hands still for one second over the course of 20 minutes? (is that ambiguous? wasn't meant to be)

Who knows mate. Perhaps filming wasn't allowed there and the filmer sneaked it. And have you ever filmed something for that long? Your arms get sore quite quickly. The quality is horrendous; I'll agree on that, but if it sucks that much you'd better find a better quality copy of the filmed talk.

59 minutes ago, kksold said:

Thoughts on Capital architecture set?  It's been 30% off on az and wm and az is now oos....

After barely 9 months on the market I would be very surprised, especially since even at full price it is a pretty strong performer. Anyone have any recent seal codes?

2 minutes ago, Pebble&Park said:

After barely 9 months on the market I would be very surprised, especially since even at full price it is a pretty strong performer. Anyone have any recent seal codes?

I do not, but have seal codes for Eiffel tower that are as recent as 8r7...

2 hours ago, Pebble&Park said:

44H6 Purchased 3 weeks ago at Lego Store.
I'm going to build mine as the new season of House of Cards starts by the end of the month.

3 minutes ago, Shewie said:

44H6 Purchased 3 weeks ago at Lego Store.
I'm going to build mine as the new season of House of Cards starts by the end of the month.

Surley its for you latest propganda video of kim stepping on it. :)

Edited by Will 4

Anyone else thinking 76055 Killer Croc Sewer Smash is going to be a fairly short run set?  I know it was overpriced, but Target clearance/LEGO Shop at Home sale plus the newer Batman Movie Croc set 70907 makes me think it will be gone sooner rather than later.