What Lego set did you buy today?

I wasn't buying anything today...but they had Batman Lego Movie sets at yoyo with 15% and I still had my $25 Hatchimal fiasco credit.  So Joker Balloon, Catwoman, and Riddler for $36 shipped.  Might not be the best "value", but I want as many of these ready to build when my daughter and I get home from the movie next month.

• Like 8

Bought a used 10212 Imperial Shuttle off eBay for $282.00 and $22.00 back in eBay bucks - I think with the bucks back it makes it a pretty good deal

No minifigures included.  He's trying his best to find the instructions, which would make it a much better score.

He says only 1 disc piece is missing from the entire build (which I can pull from the Lego Batman Movie Mr. Freeze set).  

Hoping it's in good shape when it arrives next week!

• Like 6

19 hours ago, Fleck said:

I did some bargaining with the CSM and she lowered the prices down for me =)

Never hurts to ask and be polite on top of it.....

IMG_5333.PNG

Curious to how this occurred?  What did you show them to get them to agree as it sounds like nothing from the post other than verbal skills?  I used to be a CSM long ago (internet wasn't as large then as it is now with price-matching) and it was very rare to honor prices based on things "brought" in my customers.  Is it really that easy now?  

In another post I mentioned about photo-shopping a lower price.  Unethical, of course, and I wouldn't ever do it, but it's possibilities that no doubt people are trying and reasons why I can't believe businesses, even as large as WM, would even accept as proof of a better price from an any type of competitor.  In summary, it must drive them nuts, the CSMs, corporate, etc... to try to keep their customers pleased if if they are, in my retail eyes, bending them backwards and on the edge of the rules of it at times, especially when it isn't for just 1 item, but multiples.  Trust me, I'm all for price-matching, but there has to be a limit to it somehow; or someday the limits may burst and new rules will be handed down, possibly on specific types of items.

20 minutes ago, LegoMan1212 said:

Curious to how this occurred?  What did you show them to get them to agree as it sounds like nothing from the post other than verbal skills?  I used to be a CSM long ago (internet wasn't as large then as it is now with price-matching) and it was very rare to honor prices based on things "brought" in my customers.  Is it really that easy now?  

In another post I mentioned about photo-shopping a lower price.  Unethical, of course, and I wouldn't ever do it, but it's possibilities that no doubt people are trying and reasons why I can't believe businesses, even as large as WM, would even accept as proof of a better price from an any type of competitor.  In summary, it must drive them nuts, the CSMs, corporate, etc... to try to keep their customers pleased if if they are, in my retail eyes, bending them backwards and on the edge of the rules of it at times, especially when it isn't for just 1 item, but multiples.  Trust me, I'm all for price-matching, but there has to be a limit to it somehow; or someday the limits may burst and new rules will be handed down, possibly on specific types of items.

Whenever I price-match with my local computer retailer (MicroCenter), they always go to one of their sales stations and navigate themselves to the website where I claim the price to match is showing. If it shows and meets the PM Policy criteria (no 3PS etc) they honor the match, if not, I'm out of luck. I think this is the proper way to do PMs.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Phil B said:

Whenever I price-match with my local computer retailer (MicroCenter), they always go to one of their sales stations and navigate themselves to the website where I claim the price to match is showing. If it shows and meets the PM Policy criteria (no 3PS etc) they honor the match, if not, I'm out of luck. I think this is the proper way to do PMs.

Always brace for impact!
Related image

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Fleck said:

No unethical practices were acted out in order to reach these prices. Nor was any price matching done.

I simply asked a walmart associate if I could speak to a manager about items in the clearance isle. When the person came back, they introduced themselves as the CSM and ask "How may I help you?"  I simply said I would like to purchase all their Star Wars advent calendars and was hoping she could give me a better price on them. They were marked @ $20. She said " what were you hoping to purchase them for? and I replied $10 each. She then agreed to meet me half way at $15 each. Then I asked about the Lego Jokerland set with the box all beat up on and marked down to $89. Said I would like to purchase it as well if she could also give me a better price on it. She took the box with her and came back about 2 mins later with a new price tag of $57.85

What is the worst thing they will do...say "No"........that is why I said it never hurts to ask.  And yes...I have been turn down before. The last time I was in there to make a deal I walked out with 2 Razor Drift Karts for $ 80 each marked down to $100 from $300

Maybe I should not be sharing this idea....but it is nothing new....it is called bargaining.

Good luck out there and never hesitate to ask..????

I do the same, everytime i notice a dent on a box i always ask for a discount, like you said if you dont ask the answer will always be no.

Most retailers will give some sort of discount.TRU only give a maximum of 5% off, whilst others stores will do between 10 to 15%, which is pretty good IMO as I manage to sell sets with damaged boxes for almost the same price as non damaged boxes. I've never had a complaint from buyers complaining about box condition as some people on here, I don't just state in ebay listings box is damaged but I take images of all 6 side of box so buyers knows exactly what condition it is in, most don't care as long as set is sealed.

Edited by Mhd747

17 minutes ago, Fleck said:

No unethical practices were acted out in order to reach these prices. Nor was any price matching done.

I simply asked a walmart associate if I could speak to a manager about items in the clearance isle. When the person came back, they introduced themselves as the CSM and ask "How may I help you?"  I simply said I would like to purchase all their Star Wars advent calendars and was hoping she could give me a better price on them. They were marked @ $20. She said " what were you hoping to purchase them for? and I replied $10 each. She then agreed to meet me half way at $15 each. Then I asked about the Lego Jokerland set with the box all beat up on and marked down to $89. Said I would like to purchase it as well if she could also give me a better price on it. She took the box with her and came back about 2 mins later with a new price tag of $57.85

What is the worst thing they will do...say "No"........that is why I said it never hurts to ask.  And yes...I have been turn down before. The last time I was in there to make a deal I walked out with 2 Razor Drift Karts for $ 80 each marked down to $100 from $300

Maybe I should not be sharing this idea....but it is nothing new....it is called bargaining.

I think that is great and each WM is surely managed on an individual basis as the one's that I worked at that kind of thing just didn't happen.  If it was damaged for example (badly and definitely not always), ours would get store credit on it by damaging it out rather than take a hit on profit margin.

When I worked at a Sams Club, different story, we were all about moving product out the front door than the back.

I love to negotiate as well in stores but usually keep big box stores like your WM, Target out of it, probably because I used to be on the other side and know what kind of a hassle it was for me and others. 

Interesting, and thanks for sharing.

21 minutes ago, Fleck said:

I've had successes and failures with Toy Managers at WM and CSMs at WM.  My wife has had luck with non-Lego clearance at Target before.

1 minute ago, Sfcommando14 said:

I've had successes and failures with Toy Managers at WM and CSMs at WM.  My wife has had luck with non-Lego clearance at Target before.

I usually don't even try, since it's rarely worth my time.  The only reason I was successful the other day was that the store Manager walked through the clearance section and told everyone, "If you are interested in something, let me know and I can see if we can mark it down further."

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

I usually don't even try, since it's rarely worth my time.  The only reason I was successful the other day was that the store Manager walked through the clearance section and told everyone, "If you are interested in something, let me know and I can see if we can mark it down further."

Note to self: stalk the store manager at my WM and figure out when he visits the clearance section :P:P:P

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Fleck said:

You did nothing wrong at all. Quite genius really. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fleck said:

I am going to have to try this out at one of the Walmart's by my work. They've had 7 x 75148 for $40ea and 5 x 70592 for $30ea on clearance for the last 2.5 weeks with no additional mark downs. Would love to get the 75148 for $20ea and 70592 for $15ea :)

Edited by The_Collector

Don't usually post in this thread but thought this purchase was interesting. Was browsing through a local shop who sell some lego, to my surprise they had several 21023 Flatiron, surprising as they never stock Architecture sets. Asked for price and told as set is no longer "being produced" they were selling for 50% off.

I usually stay away from Architecture sets as too hard to predict retirements. Not really expecting much from this set, doubt it will even reach 1.5 RRP in Europe, and it will probably be a slow seller, but 50% off a retired set seems like a low risk gamble to me.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Phil B said:

I sinned today... I bought Nexo Knights at only 30% off. Ultimate Aaron (nowhere to be found except in very few WMs) for $6.96, an a lonely King's Mech (is that the WM exclusive?) for $21.

nexo kings mech riding lance's horse combination is underrated.

• Like 2