21050 - Architecture Studio

TheOrcKing

Went to the event with my kids and nieces. We had a great time and built some cool houses. They wouldn't let anyone keep them but they promised to display the more memorable ones along with the sets. Let's hope ours made the cut!

Will post some pictures soon.

The set pieces were very cool to work with and the book is amazing! So many buildings and ideas. It really was a challenge for me to innovate my building than to follow step by step directions. Really opened my eyes to the true meaning of Legos before themes were created! I didn't buy the set but only because I want to buy the BTTF and limited edition crawler. I am still thinking of going back with the BOGO coupon. So tempting!!!

Some shots from today at B&N. Apologies for the sideway shots. Uploading from iPhone is cool but limited.

Nice to see so many children having fun. I know it is Lego after all but Architecture doesn't quite strike me as a kid theme.

Dang, the book being held in the second picture looks HUGE!

I haven't had as much time to mess around with it yet, but I will be reviewing the Architecture Studio set later on this week.  Because it isn't a traditional set, I am looking for suggestions as to what people want to know.  I will have pictures of the book, and maybe a few of my lousy designs...

Throw out any other ideas.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been monitoring how the 21050 Architecture Studio has been doing since it was introduced. It has consistently been in the top 10 of the 25 top selling sets on LEGO Shop at Home. It had a top spot of #2 on 8/2. Now, it has even sold out on LEGO Shop at Home. 

post-14160-0-73829600-1377200963_thumb.p

It's a fantastic set. I loved playing with it at the Barnes & Nobel event. All this info leads me to believe its going to be a great investment. 

I've been monitoring how the 21050 Architecture Studio has been doing since it was introduced. It has consistently been in the top 10 of the 25 top selling sets on S@H. It had a top spot of #2 on 8/2. Now, it has even sold out on S@H. 

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2013-08-22 at 3.45.56 PM.png

It's a fantastic set. I loved playing with it at the Barnes & Nobel event. All this info leads me to believe its going to be a great investment. 

I agree that this is a great set.  My only concern with it from an investment standpoint is that it's designed to be a teaching tool, which means this thing may not retire for a long time.  Without EOL, this will not appreciate significantly.

I agree that this is a great set.  My only concern with it from an investment standpoint is that it's designed to be a teaching tool, which means this thing may not retire for a long time.  Without EOL, this will not appreciate significantly.

Good point. I think it is more of a niche teaching tool however, which may help speed things along.

• 2 months later...

It will be another good datapoint on what "sold out" means on LEGO Shop at Home. If this comes back in the US, a good sign that the sold out tag doesn't mean much (which of course I think we already know to some extent). I picked up another one at Barnes and Noble yesterday. The cashier said he was glad they had gotten some in, they sell out very quickly when in stock. On Amazon they had about 600 of them left a few days ago, down to just over 200 now, so might sell out on there soon.

Also, I hadn't looked before, looks like this was US only? Another reason I am liking this set more and more if it is retired. There is always going to be some professor assigning this to an Arch 101 class, and college students shell out hundreds of dollars for textbooks already, buying this for $300-$400 for a class after it retires will be no big deal.