Star Wars and Disney

MartinP

I was just wondering what effect disney will have on the new Lego Star Wars merket. I am guessing that when the new movie releases in about 2015, what will happen to the Lego Star Wars merket? There probably will be some new sets being made. So the overall question is: Will Disney and the new Star Wars movie help increase the market values and CAGR for the Star Wars set?

Please give your opinion!

Yup. I think that the reason why some of the SW sets releasing as of late, haven't been doing as well as some of those of the past because we've seen a lot of the material already, so it isn't new. The "newest" stuff we got was from the Clone Wars TV show which was just discontinued. I do hope that we will get a boost from the Yoda Chronicles to last us until the next movies come out!

• 3 weeks later...

And so it begins. If there's one company in the galaxy with a pimp hand stronger than LucasFilm, it's Disney. Next they'll re-release all their animation classics with Palpatine dubbed in as the bad guy. Ariel: "I wanna be human!" Palpatine: "Keep singing! Use your hatred..."

I just threw up a little bit.

I love Star Wars.  LOVE IT.  In the 80's as a preteen it dominated my life, literally.  But the new sets just don't get me excited...AT ALL.  Don't get me wrong, I still love toys and kids stuff.  Love the LOTR and Hobbit stuff, I really like some of the Superhero stuff too.  But I think the Star Wars sets have just been overdone.  They did the same thing with the Action Figures too.  "Cool I got a Darth Maul"....now there are like 11 Darth Mauls.  The dude is cool, but was only in the movie for 3 minutes...they make 11 figures and it's just not as "special".  I like the UCS sets, but the run of the mill Star Wars sets on the shelf don't excite me at all.  Is it just me?

I love Star Wars.  LOVE IT.  In the 80's as a preteen it dominated my life, literally.  But the new sets just don't get me excited...AT ALL.  Don't get me wrong, I still love toys and kids stuff.  Love the LOTR and Hobbit stuff, I really like some of the Superhero stuff too.  But I think the Star Wars sets have just been overdone.  They did the same thing with the Action Figures too.  "Cool I got a Darth Maul"....now there are like 11 Darth Mauls.  The dude is cool, but was only in the movie for 3 minutes...they make 11 figures and it's just not as "special".  I like the UCS sets, but the run of the mill Star Wars sets on the shelf don't excite me at all.  Is it just me?

I have to agree with you. I am still a teenager and I really like Star Wars. When I was younger, there were a lot of Lego SW sets that I really wanted, now the UCS are the only one I want, the other sets do not excite me just like you said. The new Star Wars movie will probably bring more sets into the market, but we do not know how interesting they will be yet. Hopefully, the sets combined with the new movie, will be good investments for all of us here on Brickpicker.

One thing's for sure, the price/piece ratio on licensed Star Wars sets won't get any better.

It may go up with the new movies, but the PPR for SW sets is actually going down.  Just look at the new Summer 2013 SW sets:  Jedi Defender Class, with 935 or so pieces for $90; and Corporate Alliance Tank Droid, with 271 pieces for $20.  Maybe Lego is just trying to keep sails from dipping to far by making the sets more attractive to us, before the movie with all its new material hits.

• Like 1

It may go up with the new movies, but the PPR for SW sets is actually going down.  Just look at the new Summer 2013 SW sets:  Jedi Defender Class, with 935 or so pieces for $90; and Corporate Alliance Tank Droid, with 271 pieces for $20.  Maybe Lego is just trying to keep sails from dipping to far by making the sets more attractive to us, before the movie with all its new material hits.

M.O.D.O.K. - great insight.  Sounds like a good idea for a blog article!

Have you checked the same about the Price per Weight? Maybe the reason those sets are cheaper is because they include smaller pieces. I have no clue as I have not checked, just wondering.